Bringing duty free liquour home

TWG_ag

Given the new airplane rules, how are the cruise lines and duty free shops in St. Thomas suggesting you get your purchases home. I have checked boxes in the past, but don't like to do that. I usually care 6 to 8 bottle back in carry-on. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated as I leave in 10 days. thanks for your help.

Most good wines stores will sell you a styrofoam 6 or 12 bottle shipping pack. You put the bottles in it, seal it and check it. I've taken wine this way for 30 years on airplanes and never lost a single bottle. You CANNOT carry wine or liquor into planes with the last set of promulagted rules. sigh

We bought 3 bottles from the shop on Crown Princess which they packed in a corrugated carton. We could not carry it on the plane & American Airlines advised us not to check it as it was packed, saying that it would not arrive unbroken. We had to repack it in 1 of our checked bags wrapped in a combination of the corrugated & some of our clothing in order to get it home. I think next time we'll just buy our liquor when we get home!:D

On our last cruise, we went prepared wth bubble wrap and the XXL Ziploc bags (I got them at Target). We brought an extra (smaller size) rolling suitcase with thse items and our snorkle gear. I wrapped each bottle individually in bubble wrap and then put three in a ziploc bag. I then put that package in another ziploc bag. (A little compulsive? Maybe. But I did not want to have a leaking bag). Also, I live with a state controlled liquor board...so the prices are too good to resist....For some, it will not be worth the effort.

We transported seven bottles home safely as checked luggage. Good luck.

On our last cruise, we went prepared wth bubble wrap and the XXL Ziploc bags (I got them at Target). We brought an extra (smaller size) rolling suitcase with thse items and our snorkle gear. I wrapped each bottle individually in bubble wrap and then put three in a ziploc bag. I then put that package in another ziploc bag. (A little compulsive? Maybe. But I did not want to have a leaking bag). Also, I live with a state controlled liquor board...so the prices are too good to resist....For some, it will not be worth the effort.

We transported seven bottles home safely as checked luggage. Good luck.

I'm just curious - how much did you save on the 7 bottles?

Archived