1st time on HAL--any tips?

AndyPanda

Maasdam 2/13/07..10 days Southern Carib.

This is cruise # 20+. First for HAL.

Any tips about what to expect..what to pack (or not).

Is it going to be much different than RCCL, Princess, NCL, even Carnival?

Hope not...love them all !

Thanks, Andy

I like your screen name. This is what I called my first BF, a million years ago.

With the exception of Princess, I sail all mass marketed cruise lines. I will tell you HAL is different than what you are used to. The ships are elegant, the cabins larger, the crew more seasoned and genuine and the beds are to die for. Although food is so subjective, I happen to like HAL's food better, especially the casual LIDO dining. This may or may not be the case with you.

I think you will find the HAL experience more upscale than what you are used to. Upscale does not however, mean snobby/snooty.

The time of year and length of cruise determines the average age aboard any cruise line. It is unlikley there will be many children and the average age is apt to be greater than on CCL or NCL. Like yourself, most passengers have a lot of sailing experience and it provides a common ground for any conversation.

I like CCL primary entertainment venue better than HAL's, especially when it's comedy. Conversely, I really enjoy the smaller venues on HAL. The late evening varies sailing to sailing, dependent upon the demographics onboard as well as groups. Some cruises seem to roll up the carpets well before midnight and others keep going till 2:00 AM. You never know.

On a ten day sail you can expect 3 formal nights. For the man, a tux or suit and tie will be sufficient. For a woman, cocktail attire is suitable. Your first and last night onboard will, at a minimum, be casual. The rest a mix of casual and semi formal which is confusing to say the least.

I am sure others will chime in with their perspectives to allow you to compare and contrast.

Enjoy your cruise and come back and tell us about it when you return, Andy Pandy Panda :)

Maasdam 2/13/07..10 days Southern Carib.

This is cruise # 20+. First for HAL.

Any tips about what to expect..what to pack (or not).

Is it going to be much different than RCCL, Princess, NCL, even Carnival?

Hope not...love them all !

Thanks, Andy

Our cruise last week was my first on HAL - my previous two cruises were on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I found I boarded the Oosterdam with a lot of preconceived notions based on people telling me how "different/better" HAL is than the other lines. My advice is to not have any preconceived expectations - you have sailed many cruise lines, so just go and enjoy what there is to enjoy (as I'm sure you will).

That said, a few things I really enjoyed on board the Oosterdam (which they may also have on the Maasdam) were:

- The daily "ethnic" themed lunches next to the Lido pool. These mini-buffets weren't well-advertised but once I discovered them I looked forward to them each day. The best, IMO, was the Indonesian theme.

- If I had to do it again I'd splurge and buy the cruise-long pass to the hydrotherapy pool.

- There were two wine tasting events on board and I immensely enjoyed the one I attended. (Plus after 4 glasses of wine you have suddenly made many new "best friends" at your table!)

- There were games to borrow in the library (chess, checkers, board games, etc.) and hubby and I would play them on our veranda with a mid-afternoon plate of nachos from the Mexi-buffet on the Lido deck and a margarita.

- Finally, I have to say my favorite moment from the cruise was sitting on our veranda late one night, with all the lights turned off, and watching the shooting stars off to the southwest. There were 2-3 shooting stars every minute - just beautiful!

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Andy! We had our first HAL cruise last summer. We had previously always sailed with Princess. We were pleased with Princess (platinum) but were definately ready for a change. We were all (teen son included) very happy with HAL.

My own positive observations were ( but please remember based on only one cruise:o ) the Lido area was much better, the verandas are much better, the staff seems happier and always willing to make things great for you, the room service much better, the fellow passengers much more cordial to eachother.

Do not miss the Pinnacle Grill. We absolutely loved the experiance and the food was terrific.

Have a very wonderful cruise and let us know what you think when you come back! We were so impressed with our first HAL cruise that we booked another one for this summer, cannot wait!

Linda

obviously everyone sees things differently. Yes, you will see many things different on HAL or we certainly did a few weeks ago. We were on the Amsterdam, 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise. I do think our cruise was probably filled with more seniors than yours will be. We found HAL to be the class of the mass marketed lines (we too have cruised 20 plus times) Saying that, we also found the ship lacking in activities. The food was outstanding, espeically the buffet (lunch time), the service, mostly good, but sometimes a a bit stuffy. As for the Pinnicle Grill, yes, we all know food is very subjective, but we were not particularly impressed. It was better than the main dining room even though the service wasn't outstanding. We had pre paid thus the cost was $20 per person. I would not pay the new price $30.00.

One of the best spots when you are at sea is the library. Another feature offered by HAL, large cabins with many bathrooms having tubs as well as showers.

Even though you will see differences this doesn't mean you will not fully enjoy yourselves. You will probably not see the energy level on the ship you see on other lines, but this will be off set by the food and the decor just to mention some of the outstanding features.

as for the entertainment, again this is simply a matter of opinion. Some of it was good, other parts, like anything else lacked pozazz. I think the best way to discribe HAL, subdued, classy, a bit intellectual and geared to those who don't have to be entertained all the time.

NMnita

I've sailied Maasdam twice - ideal size ship. Bring quarters for the self-serve laundromats if you do not want to pay for ship's laundry. At breakfast, go to the Lido - much quicker service than dining room - and wide selection. Look for the fresh orange juice - at far end of line - much better than the concentrated offered in middle. Of course, room service is great if you like leisurely start to your day. Soft drink cards make sense only if you have two or more every day -- I do not know if they have wine cards yet. Enjoy.

Archived