Star Penthouse - what type & best location?

Host CMLA

I'm sorry garycarla...I know you're going to tell me to do a search. I did and didn't see what I wanted to know. :confused: ;) So now I ask...what's the best type of Penthouse suite on the Star and what's the best location? I've stayed in an AF (11598) on the Star and loved that location. We've decided to book the 12/26/07 cruise.

Hi Cecelia!

We were in an AD (10226) and it was just incredible. The aft view was to-die-for and we loved that we could enjoy the balcony without the wind. I have heard that with forward-facing balconies you cannot always use your balcony (e.g. in an AC).

I also loved the privacy of being all the way aft, and the room was simply beautiful in decoration, I really hope our AD on the Pearl is as rich in design.

I'm sure there'll be lots of comments on this one, this is just my two cents! :) Good for you - taking a Christmas cruise on the Star was by far my favorite Christmas ever.

Amy :D

I LOVE the AB cabin-the bathroom is absolutely gorgeous (large walkin shower with many nozzles overlooking the sea, whirlpool tub, 2 vanities, flat screen tv over the tub)-there is a large master bedroom-actually the bed takes up the entire room. There is a second bedroom for your little guy and it will be great, but you'll have to make sure you have a door stop to keep the door open. And there is a large living room/dining room-pretty gppd sized verandah and lovely teak loungers. You also have a butler and the services of a concierge. The sound system is really great on two of the other tv's and I always bring music cd's to play.

There is also a lot of storage space!

denise

I also like the location because all the AB's are forward and have access to the areas I use.

I'm sorry garycarla...I know you're going to tell me to do a search. I did and didn't see what I wanted to know. :confused: ;) So now I ask...what's the best type of Penthouse suite on the Star and what's the best location? I've stayed in an AF (11598) on the Star and loved that location. We've decided to book the 12/26/07 cruise.

Hi Cecilia,

Are you planning on taking Nathan along. The AE, AD, AA, and AC's would be out if there are 3 of you. We loved the AB with the second bedroom and bathroom.

If you decide to book the AB, I suggest one of these: 11530, 11550, 11030, 11050.

They are under "quiet" areas such as reading room, conference areas, etc.

I like to use the pdf deckplans, I can see them better. Here's the link to the file:

http://www.norway.ncl.com/images/ships/pdf/Star.pdf

Happy cruising!

Are you planning on taking Nathan along. The AE, AD, AA, and AC's would be out if there are 3 of you. We loved the AB with the second bedroom and bathroom.
Thank you all so much for the information. Like PE asked, even if Nathan's in a crib we can't book a Penthouse? I know a person is a person but I thought maybe they would go by bed space. And if the Penthouse is out, what's the next best alternative? Man...this kid sure does complicate things. :D ;)

Even if Nathan is in a crib??

PE

Good question, and I'm not sure of the answer.

Nathan will be over 2 years old before the cruise, so I believe that would make him a 3rd passenger and not an infant rate........again, I'm not a TA and don't have definite answers since we didn't start cruising with my daughter until she was 10.

Thank you all so much for the information. Like PE asked, even if Nathan's in a crib we can't book a Penthouse? I know a person is a person but I thought maybe they would go by bed space. And if the Penthouse is out, what's the next best alternative? Man...this kid sure does complicate things. :D ;)

I just checked out the information on my favorite cabin on the STAR, the Aft AD, Romance Suite and it does show that there is room for a crib.

Cabin 10226

• Private Balcony (1)
  • Crib (1)
  • Queen Size Bed (1)
  • CD Library (1)
  • Stereo/CD Player (1)
  • Balcony Square Footage (93)
  • Aft Section
  • Oceanview Stateroom
  • Butler Service
  • Concierge
  • Dining room area (1)
  • Livingroom area (1)
  • Separated Bedroom with a curtain (1)
  • Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)
  • Starboard Side
  • Bathtub (1)
  • Cabin Square Footage (288)
  • Duvet
  • Refrigerator (1)
  • Hair Dryer (1)
  • Telephone (1)
  • Safety Deposit Box (1)
  • Television (1)
  • Pier aft
  • Sprinklers
  • Shower (1)

Mini-suites (AF) usually have a fold-bed in the sofa.

PE

Cecelia - we've stayed in a BA, Mini-Suite, AB Penthouse and an AD aft Penthouse all on the Star. I have a link to my pictures of all of them in my sig. The AB was by far the most gorgeous and of course, spacious. The service was equal in the AB and AD. If the penthouses sleep 3 or 4, but no cribs, can you bring a portable crib for Nathan?

Mini-suites (AF) usually have a fold-bed in the sofa.

I've been in an AF on the Star and think it's too small. I really want a second room. I think it might come down to calling NCL (:eek: ) and asking and see if I get consistent answers. LOL ;) And yes, Nathan will be 26 months by then. OK...when did we stop talking about our age in years? I'd like to be able to say that I'm 436 months old.

I think the AC on the Star might be hard to handle a crib. But the Owner's Suite could do a crib easily! The bedroom is large enough to hold the crib and still have room to roam. The forward balcony would be nice for Nathan to play on in and out of a blow up pool. (haul water from the bathroom). The wind blows when the ship is sailing but in port, nothing but sun and warmth. The Owner's also has the side balcony for dining and sitting and watching and is enclosed. If you want, I will email pixs to you on both suites. Also we were upsold from a mini to the AC in Mexico and from AD to the AA in Alaska. :)

The center 2 AC's on deck 10 have more than enough room. The bumpout under the bridge adds a quite a few extra square feet.
You know so much. Thank you. You're my Shoreguy. LOL :D

In my webshots I have two sets of AC cabin pictures. Yes, these are from the Jewel but you will only find subtle differences. The biggest being "THE" coffeemaker.

http://community.webshots.com/user/planersedge1

Last years was cabin #10500 with the bumpout and this years was #10002 which does not have the bumpout. You can see the that the bumpout (we called it the sunroom) adds a significant amout of space for a crib or playpen.

If one of these cabins are your choice, you better grab it quick. Since there are only 2 of these they do go fast. I think they are the greatest value for the dollar on any of these ships.

PE<---may try to get one of these for the 10/28/07 Dawn repo cruise...

Cecilia,

I'll be on the same Star cruise as Adele 2/10/07 and have a 2.5 year old. We originally booked and AF. As time went on, try as I might to PAY for a penthouse they would not let me book anything under an AB (after the AF of course). I then took my daughter and put her into her grandparent's room so I could book an AE but realized that the AE was just a glorified AF (with a great location and butler), however for $1200 more I passed.

THEN, the upsell fairy called and offered the AB for $1100, so we will be in AB 11030 for our cruise. I did a lot of searching and found a guy who has sketched the floorplan http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm.

Additionally, cruisinfrommn and Melika(not right, sorry) have great pics.

Now my questions are: do I have to lug our portacrib or do they have them on the ship? Where will it fit, looks too tight in 2nd bdm? Or, I just may chance it and put her in a "big girls' bed" and suffer the consequences when we get home.

Cheerio from toddler's mom!

Wendy

Cecilia, I'll take lots of photos of our AC on Deck 9 in February. We JUST got the upsell call. We loved where we were (a BA on the stern on Deck 9), but :D
Great great great! Thanks Adele.

wkgeez...I'm really interested in your experience. My son will be 26 months when we want to cruise. I think they have cribs so you don't have to take your own. Someone else can probably tell you for sure.

Archived