Volcano National Park

2Xayear

Planning to do this tour but wondered if it is better to rent a car and DIY or book with NCL and do it that way?

I am an avid photographer and want to take lots of shots. Does the NCL tour offer lots of opportunities to get off the bus?

Although I cannot tell you about the tours, I advise you to rent a car. (Make a reservation)

It is an easy drive of 45 minutes to the park and you can make as much stops and as long as you want.

My husband also takes lots of photos and was very happy with the rentalcar.

On the way back we had some time for a detour to the "boilingpots" and "Rainbowfalls" near Hilo.

Most rentalagencies have shuttles to/from the port (Avis didnot).

I'd add to MikeKaye's list the following:

closed toe shoes (no sandals)

long pants - less damage if you DO fall on the lava.

Rental car is going to be more flexible an you'll be able to stop where YOU want to get a picture. DH is also an avid photographer and gets very frustrated when he sees a good photo op and is on a bus that isn't going to stop where HE wants to stop...

Definitely do it on your own.

If you've got 'em, a good pair of hiking boots is best for the lava. I rubbed the top of a nylon shoe against a patch and it tore pretty good. That stuff can be really sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did this tour booked through NCL on 12/17/06. Really liked the bus driver, VERY informative and knew everything about the park, you wouldn't get that history renting a car. We stopped at all major spots to walk around, take pics etc. They also stop at Mauna Loa macadamia nut factory on the way back. YUM! Never knew they had so many ways of flavoring them, think I spent at least $50 there!

Aren't macadamias AMAZING?

Thank goodness for Australia, where they actually come from. :)

Ever wonder why you never see a macadamia nut with the shell still on?

You almost need dynamite to open the shell, it'd break your nutcracker

I just did this tour booked through NCL on 12/17/06. . . . We stopped at all major spots to walk around, take pics etc.

SLC, what tour did you take? Do you remember the name? Also, did you feel like you had plenty of time to explore places like the museum and the Thurston lava tube etc or were you rushed to stay on the bus' schedule? I am trying to decide whether to book the tour, but it will be expensive for four of us compared to renting a car, but the information from the driver would be nice. :confused:

Thanks for the info.

We booked the one on the NCL website that said it was their most popular tour. The company they use is Polynesian Adventure Tours, same company that does airport transfers for NCL. We had plenty of time at each stop to browse, take pics, use restrooms etc. Same with lava tubes, lots of time there to go at your own pace.

If you rent a car, make sure you stop at the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory on the way back, free to get in and free samples.

Just an FYI. NCL owns Polynesian Adventure Tours, so that's the company they are most likely to use. I'm not saying it's a bad company; I'm sure it's perfectly fine. But it is no longer an independent contractor (which may be good for cruise pax because sometimes independent contractors can be pretty awful and with this one the cruise line is accountable).

beachchick

SLCBoys: this is the tour we're looking at taking. We are cruising with my parents and our kids, and my parents always prefer to take ship sponsored tours. We took our own tours on the Jewel over Christmas and it worked out great, but I think we'll stay with the cruise excursions for their peace of mind. Can you tell me if you think this is good for kids (ours are 11 and 14) or if you heard of any other ship sponsored excursions that the kids would enjoy? Thanks!

I would also recommend renting a car. Very easy drive and you can go at your own pace to see and do what you want. Downside: you need to plan on what you want to see when you get there. It is HUGE!!! You'll be amazed at the size of this shield volcano. As an example, we were there on a dismal rainy day so there was no traffic on the roads. On the return, I put the car in neutral and coasted, at the speed limit with having to tap the brakes, for 21 miles!

If you drive, you can see some of the other sights that others have mentioned. Also, Akaka Falls Park (think that's right) really pretty.

Rent a car. If you have another couple, we would recommend the hike from the hotel across the crater. Several people can walk, altho' it is a bit rough, and someone could pick them up at the other side. And if someone in your group is old enough to have a Golden Age Pass, you can get into the park for free.

We rented a car more convenient and stopped when you wanted to stop and cheaper. By the way buy some flashlights at Wal mart and check out the rest of thurstons lava tube it was great (the macadamia nuts are also cheaper there!

• 2 weeks later...
SLC, what tour did you take? Do you remember the name? Also, did you feel like you had plenty of time to explore places like the museum and the Thurston lava tube etc or were you rushed to stay on the bus' schedule? I am trying to decide whether to book the tour, but it will be expensive for four of us compared to renting a car, but the information from the driver would be nice. :confused: Thanks for the info.

We took the Volcanoes National Park Nature Deluxe tour. It was terrific! Our guide was great, and an endless source of information. We didn't feel rushed anywhere, since there were only about 10 of us in the van. It was more expensive than renting a car, but I enjoyed it a lot more than if I'd been worried about driving and/or navigating myself.

IMO, if you can only afford to go "all out" on one tour, I'd spend the extra on a good tour of VNP. Snorkelling, beaches, shopping, horseback riding, etc. can be done on almost any cruise, but how many times do you get to visit a volcano? :D

IMO, if you can only afford to go "all out" on one tour, I'd spend the extra on a good tour of VNP.
...and if you're going to go all out, helicopter over it. See lava jumping in the pits and oozing along the ground is amazing.

In general, this is an easy excursion to drive yourself. It provides more flexibility, lower cost....but you have to do the research yourself and get back to the ship on time.

A ship excursion takes care of everything for you, but you lose flexibiity and usually pay more.

One's not better than another, it is just matching the right one to your preferences.

Archived