Explorer - looking for recent reviews

I was on the Explorer in September and we loved everything about the cruise, the food, the service, the shows, etc.

You might want to check the link in my signature for pictures from our cruise.

You won't be dissappointed!!!

Sue

I just got off the 17th too. Had a great time no problems at all. I even hit the Cruise Director 3 times playing vollyball. Also hit the "Bingo boy" 2 times. What a great time it was. Went an did the Dolphin swim in St. Marrtin and that was a blast too. Only bad thing was Nassau and San Juan. Wish they would find some other ports to replace these.

I was on the Explorer in September and we loved everything about the cruise, the food, the service, the shows, etc.

You might want to check the link in my signature for pictures from our cruise.

You won't be dissappointed!!!

Sue

Totally Agree!!! Was on Explorer in October. We were a party of 8 ranging in age 5-Adult. EVERYONE had an amazing time. The staff goes beyond your expectations of friendliness and professionalism. THe food never disappoints, the shows are fantastic...I could go on but you get the point...your going to have a trip of a lifetime.

:)

We were on the Explorer on the 12/3 sailing. LOVED it. The crew was exceptionaly friendly. Service was excellent. The entertainment was great. I wish there had more day time activities that didn't involve some type of spa treatment push. I was told there is usually a couple that teaches dance lessons on board but that they were on vacation that particular week. The bands and entertainment in the evening were wonderful.

Food is very good but not great. I think if I had not been on previous RCCL cruises I would have been very happy with it. I just didn't think it was up to the same standards as previous cruises, particularily our cruise on the Navigator in 2004. I always found something I liked and enjoyed but thought the food was more simialar to typical restuarant/banquet food rather than something special.

We had a great time and I would sail on the Explorer again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise!

In all fairness VMOM, it is hard to make current comparison in food on a cruise taken 2 years ago. It would probably be much more pratical to compare similar food items eaten on cruises over the past 6 months. Sometimes it could be a simple as new chefs.

Granted. It could be just a different chef, but I don't think so. I think it has more to do with the menu offerings.

I said the food was very good, just not great. Very similar to typical restuarant food or banquet food. If you want an honest review, my opinion of the food is a legitimate part of a total review of my cruise experience. I could have said that food was also not as good as my more recent last cruise on the Caribbean Princess, but I did not want to confuse the issue by a comparison with a totally different cruise line.

Frankly as I stated in a recent post, I think that the cruise lines are trying to cut their cost expenditures in their food. Cruise prices have changed very little over the last 15-20 years and the cruise lines have to make up for it somewhere. I think these efforts to cut costs can be seen in the menu and menu offerings.

Regardless, I did state that I loved our cruise and would recommend the Explorer to anyone.

We're going on EOS on Dec. 31st. Has anybody been on the ship for New Year's?

Also, we're trying to decide between the Cahal Pech Mayan ruins in Belize and the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Mayan. Any recommendations? We're only doing the one excursion - my husband had a mild heart attack 3 weeks ago, and he can't do anything but relax on this trip! My 11-year old and I will be doing the excursion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

We were on the Explorer in June of this year. We are also booked for the Christmas cruise next year. The explorer was wonderful. The concierge Ricky, was wonderful! The cruise director , hilarious! The only concern that I had was that the first day going out and the last day coming back was a little more rocky than I had ever experienced. The entire ship to me had more "movement" than I've ever experienced on any cruise ship yet. Maybe it was just that time of the year, weather related, who knows. Overall...we had a FANTASTIC time! Highly recommend it especially if you can drive to the port and not have to fly at all there!

We were on her last week..12/10 thru 17. It was the BEST cruise!!! You can tell by my signature that we love the Explorer!! I got sick with some throat thing about mid way through and visited the part of the ship I hoped i never would have to but hey, part of the experience. Saw my doc this am for a followup and just needed more meds. Cleaning solutions bother me too and probably helped the throat irritations but at least no norovirus. Our cabin was fantastic...7388 aft and Mr Orvent was our steward and he was A#1! Cudos to Mr. Peterson Fernandes our waiter who did an excellent job once again. We requested him again from our first cruise and luckily he was on board before going home next month. We'll miss him in Feb but our head waiter will be there and he will hook us up. We ate at the Captain's table the first formal night. WE have no idea how we got there, but Capt Ryan is so terrific. We just can't say enough about the cruise staff. Everyone is so nice. We always saw smiles and that was amazing considering all the grumpy passengers we had to listen to on occasion. My husband reminded me numerous times that there are people in this world who will never be happy no matter what you do for them. We loved our trip on her and we will be back soon. Have a great cruise and a great holiday.

Crisndee - I caught the same throat thing on that cruise - started feeling bad friday nite (12/15) and am still coughing... I wonder how many others picked up same??? I rarely get sick so this hasn't been fun, but at least I feel okay now. Seems like decks 3 &4 were fairly smokey so that didn't help (I am not a smoker so it always bothers me).

Kurt: missed meeting you all at the meet and mingle. We went at 11 along with several others who thought that was the time and didn't look at the OFFICIAL invite. So see you next cruise. We had spa appts at 1. Needed them!!!

Buckeye: still coughing too. My doc told me I recieved excellent treatment on the ship but I just didn't respond to the cipro. The ships doc gave me cipro 250mg a pill 2 pills 2xdaily for 5 days. (and cough syrup but the bottle had to go in the checked luggage..too many ounces) Smoke bothers me but I started taking the airborne stuff after being sick 3 times last winter with bronchitis from the airplane air. After a pharmacist told me that it was just herb time stuff and really doesn't do anything for you and before telling me this I flew 3 more times and NO SICKNESS, I didn't take before flying to miami this time...and then it happened. So...I think I will start it again next week before I leave for Vegas. Maybe my brain gets out witted or something??? Hope you feel better and next cruise we will confer to see who brings the drugs so we don't get sick? Happy New Year and May We all have good health cruising next year.

Archived