Digital Camera Memory Card

arf2005

I know you can develop film onboard Carnival ships, but can you download your memory card onto a CD within the photo department and then pay for the CD? I know on many of the ships you can rent computer time and perhaps download your pictures onto a flash drive, but I would rather put them on a CD right away if possible.

It has been a year, but on the Liberty, it was $39 for them to burn a CD for me, do the math, $39 for a one time .7 gigabyte CD-ROM or about $45 for 1.0 gigabyte memory card that you can use over and over and over...

Extra memory cards are cheap, and are good protection in case you accidently do lose a camera, at least you might have half or more of your pictures...

Only 12.95 to put your memory card on a cd on the Conquest---we were on it in November. The digital kiosk didn't do it--but if you gave them your card- they did it over night. I had a mishap...they gave me back my card the next day and said it was empty! I freaked- because it had 150 pics on it! I found the original gal that had helped me- because she had seen me view the pics on the kiosk. She gave the card to the "software recovery" people and they retrieved them and didn't charge me! I thought the problem was the photo lab's at the time----however, upon returning home we found that it was a glitch in the camera we had borrowed. Sooooo- I would still recomend the service. Although it is VERY good to know that they have such people on board. FYI- there is also software that will recover pics from a deleted, reformated etc... memory card. That is what we had to do when we returned home when the same problem happened again!!

You can also print photos for .29

Pricey- but fun to get a few.

FYI- there is also software that will recover pics from a deleted, reformated etc... memory card.

But DON'T try to use the card again until you retrieve your photos from the card. If they are overwritten you are SOL. Software can be had for around $30 and up ...and up...and up. If you had that much trouble twice, I wouldn't trust the card OR the camera anymore. Time for a shopping spree. :D

That's why I take my laptop. I can download from my memory card, back up on my thumb drive, erase the mem card, and re use, and then have them printed after I get home and can choose the ones I really want.

How about transferring the pics from the camera's memory card (compact flash or whatever) to a memory stick (jump or thumb drive)? Can the computers in the interenet cafe do this?

The internet cafe computers have no USB or any other port access availability to them - for good reason...

How about transferring the pics from the camera's memory card (compact flash or whatever) to a memory stick (jump or thumb drive)? Can the computers in the interenet cafe do this?

No, all ports on the computers are disabled.

(if they were your computers, you would too.)

Best Buy has PNY 1GB Secure Digital Memory Cards on sale for 19.99. I have 3. I keep them in the little original plastic case. I never use the camera download. I take the card from my camera and put it in the card reader on my PC then copy the camera files and burn them to a CD. I've never lost a pic...

Man the prices for these cards are crazy. I just got a new camera and luckily the $129.99 2 gig CF card was included. I just saw in a local grocery store flyer a 512mg SD card for $9.98. Crazy man I tell you it's crazy. Kind of like computers everything is getting cheaper, except for the ink of course.

Man the prices for these cards are crazy. I just got a new camera and luckily the $129.99 2 gig CF card was included. I just saw in a local grocery store flyer a 512mg SD card for $9.98. Crazy man I tell you it's crazy. Kind of like computers everything is getting cheaper, except for the ink of course.

Prices are great these days... I got a 1gb SD card for $10 after rebates from Ritz... now is definitley the time to buy!!!!

Well, my Digital Rebel uses Compact Flash, which still doesn't come cheap. And my cruise leaves tomorrow (24th) so no time to ship, so I picked up a 1 Gig ScanDisk Ultra II at Best Buy. Holds 1,000 pics at a reasonble resolution so that will be cool. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I know this has already been addressed somewhere but things are always changing and I just decided to bring a digital camera and wasn't paying attention.:o Can these memory sticks or digital cameras go throught the airport scanners without losing my pictures?

Yes. Something I do all the time.

the good reason is they donot want any viruses :eek: introduced on their system.

Which is completely understandable. But I thought perhaps their media reader would read it just as memory, as my all-in-one printer does -- it sees it as an external drive but software on it doesn't run. It's all good, though. Bought a 1 Gig CF card and figured out the setting on my camera so that gives me 1,000 pics still at decent resolution. ;)

I just got home from BestBuy. They have a one day sale going on a PNY 2 Gig SD card for $29.:eek: . It was in stock in our local store but shows as out of stock in the online store. You could call your local BestBuy and ask if they still have any. Here is the link to the item at the online store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7387017&st=SD+card&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1124432966022

Which is completely understandable. But I thought perhaps their media reader would read it just as memory, as my all-in-one printer does -- it sees it as an external drive but software on it doesn't run. It's all good, though. Bought a 1 Gig CF card and figured out the setting on my camera so that gives me 1,000 pics still at decent resolution. ;)

It wouldn't just read it. You're also assuming that everyone who wanted to download pics from a memory card to a thumb drive or cd would know how to do it. Those computers are set up to allow individuals to use personal email and go out on the net, not do any type of admin function, which downloading/transferring is. Allowing anyone to introduce anything to the internet cafe computers could cause all knds of havoc. By allowing it to "read" a cd or thumb drive opens the system up to all kinds of problems. I work in a secure environment and our computers are disabled for cd's, dvd's, or any type of thumb drive/memory card. Everything has to be scanned by an IT person before it can be loaded by them only. Too big a chance that something destructive could be introduced, even accidentally.

I have a gadget called a Wolverine with a 60 GB hard drive and a set of card reader slots, it goes with us on the cruise and I dump my 1GB and 512MB cards to it when they are full (and shooting raw, I only get 70 shots per GB). We took about 1500 shots on our last cruise, and it was great not having to compromise picture quality or resolution. It's a bit larger than a deck of cards.

These gadgets can be found at Costco.com and other retailers. Well worth the investment. They also serve as a good PC backup solution. And I don't need to drag a laptop around.

I have a gadget called a Wolverine with a 60 GB hard drive and a set of card reader slots, it goes with us on the cruise and I dump my 1GB and 512MB cards to it when they are full (and shooting raw, I only get 70 shots per GB). We took about 1500 shots on our last cruise, and it was great not having to compromise picture quality or resolution. It's a bit larger than a deck of cards.

These gadgets can be found at Costco.com and other retailers. Well worth the investment. They also serve as a good PC backup solution. And I don't need to drag a laptop around.

I haven't seen those. We "drag" a laptop around, but don't carry on any booze, so it's definitely the lighter option:D

These folks have great prices on all sizes and styles of Memory,

http://flashmemory-store.stores.yahoo.net/

I buy from them often and have never been burned....

John

Check out ebay, too. I got a 2 GB SanDisk Extreme card for $15 less (including shipping) than what they had at this site for a 1GB card, excluding shipping.

Archived