CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

You missed the joke. The reference was to "penny for thoughts" = 1cent becoming 2 cents when the 2 cents' worth of thoughts are offered, therefore a markup of 100% on an original investment of 1 cent. Multiplied by the many such transactions which take place each day, the total return on investment is mind-boggling.

And no, I have never offered useful advice of any kind on solo traveling, or anything else for that matter. Rather pathetic, isn't it?

Hi,:) yes usually they are short notice.

Here is the HH website for Celebrity. I don't have the one for

Royal.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/XcitingDeals_CEL_tues.pdf

That is the site I watch for the solo deals. Every so often they offer a single supplement of 150% as they did on the Zenith and while I was deciding to book it went back up to 200%. I'm still kicking myself.

I got a good deal on my 12/10 Elation 5-day cruise. I got the 150% on a 6A upgraded to and 6D for $526.21, past guest rate. This is the first time I've gotten an oceanview with a 150% suppliment so I took it. They had the standard 1A also for $331.21 for all guest. The udgrade sale is only 2 more days so you might want to check and see if there is a sailing you want. It will be so nice to have a window.

Hey-dee-ho everyone:

I know we solo cruisers tend to complain about paying "double." (I'm not sure if it is a 100% markup or a 200% markup because, really, I am just not that bright.) But in the end, pardon the pun, I don't give a rat's rump what the so-called supplement is. What I want to know is what it will cost me to go on a given cruise in a given category and whether that amount fits my budget. Still, for those concerned about paying double, there is another way to look at it. If you share a cabin with someone, then you effectively get half the square footage per person than if you have the whole cabin to yourself. So if you pay a full supplement the cost per square foot per person works out to be the same. Viewed that way, anything less than a full supplement is a bargain.

Gee, contrary to what they say, maybe I really do have at least two brain cells to rub together!

Cheers!

Paul

You missed the joke. The reference was to "penny for thoughts" = 1cent becoming 2 cents when the 2 cents' worth of thoughts are offered, therefore a markup of 100% on an original investment of 1 cent. Multiplied by the many such transactions which take place each day, the total return on investment is mind-boggling.

And no, I have never offered useful advice of any kind on solo traveling, or anything else for that matter. Rather pathetic, isn't it?

:o sorry, I totally missed the joke :confused: ... sounds like I was in a bad mood as well.... my apologies.

Nancy

I am a newbie to cruising and about to be on the Carnival Glory on May 12 and I have no idea what a single supplement is. Can someone teach me?

I'm sure there's a better way to state this... but here goes: Cruise lines like to make money on their rooms. So they price them expecting two people to occupy the room. If you are a single person, they are making 1/2 the price for the room that they expect. So they charge you extra money to make up for that.

Some (most) cruise lines will double the "single" price, so you are paying double the price you see on search websites.

Go to any cruise search site, search for a cruise, go to the price page, (ex. RCCL site), pretend to schedule a cruise. The first page of the form asks for number of people in the room. Select 1. Click continue.The next page will display the prices you will pay. You will notice that for most cruise lines (like RCCL), the price on that page is now double what was displayed on the search screen.

Wow, that's a lot of words, and probably TMI. There are articles on this site that also describe it.

I am a newbie to cruising and about to be on the Carnival Glory on May 12 and I have no idea what a single supplement is. Can someone teach me?

Karen,

Click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisestyles/articles.cfm?ID=21 for one of the Cruise Critic articles mentioned by DiannaInVA. The title is Cruise "Welcome Mat" Varies for Solos.

I sincerely hope this additional information will help.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Guess the deals are out there. I am a loyal RCCL cruiser. This will be my sixth one with them and 4 of them solo. Can't wait. Counting down. Great itineray. As for me, Alaska is too long a plane flight. I guess I want instant gratification. Have a great time and I hope you enjoy YOUR company...hehehe. I know I will.:rolleyes:

Hi all. I know we all dislike the single supplement so i thought i'd pass this along.

I found a repositioning cruise on MSC Melody with no single supplement. great itinerary. details: leaves genoa, italy 11/17/2007. arrives durban, south africa 12/8/2007. a map of the trip is below.

i'll be solo on this one. it's always nice to have a few CC friends along.

I'm a new "solo" cruiser and am glad to see this thread. It has lots of good advise.

Mostly Carnival is mentioned. Forgive me if this has already come up, but pricing HAL cruises I routinely find a markup of 150%, and even a 140% fare for solo on an Alaska, Vancouver - Seward, cruise this September. Those fares seem very reasonable, expecially for standard, even oceanview, cabins.

For my first cruise as a solo I'm paying the dreaded 200%, but I need to get away for a bit and GP's sailing out of Galveston so I save the difference in transportation. It's a great itinerary, too. Four ports on a seven day Caribbean cruise is rare. Best of all, the ports are world class for diving/snorkeling.

I understand large markups for near full bookings, but Princess pricing seems very solo unfriendly, even for relatively low booked long and mid term sailings.:mad:

That's a shame. Although I came late to princess, I discovered I like Grand Princess.

Ah well, back to HAL in the future.

I understand large markups for near full bookings, but Princess pricing seems very solo unfriendly, even for relatively low booked long and mid term sailings.:mad:

That's a shame. Although I came late to princess, I discovered I like Grand Princess.

Boy, when I'm wrong, I'm really wrong.

Just priced 10 and 14 day Caribbean cruises for Feb 2008 on Princess. ALL have a !!136%!! sgl supplement. This is for inside categories. I didn't bother comparative pricing outside cabins (not interested) but I suspect the markup is the same.

The first thing I'm gonna do after boarding GP April 14 is find the on board cruise booking office!:)

BTW - just checked HAL for same time period and lengths. HAL charges 145% sgl supp which is ok, but the fares are MUCH higher, and the itineraries not as good.

Hello Princess.

Just found a fantastic deal going solo on AOS 4/22, first balcony room for one week. Fantastic intinerary Southern Caribbean. Almost half price. Anyone else coming? Happy Hour deal.

Patty -

How long ago did the Happy Hour special appear? I would like to take advantage of these offers if I can give work enough notice. Unfortunately, this time I am on the 4-night Baja on MOS.

This is a great thread and maybe a bunch of us can plan something at sometime but keep posting cause it gives everyone and chance to see good prices and also to even hook up and do joint cruises.

I have been a solo traveling widower for 10 years, and now book mainly on Crystal. Except on the world cruise, Crystal's standard single supplement is only 25% for stateroom categories C-G, a real bargain compared with the other luxury cruise lines. These are non bacony cabins. As a solo traveler I have found that I never used the balcony anyway on the one or two occasions I had one - sitting alone in a cabin not my idea of cruise fun!

If you feel you must have a balcony, SS jumps to 35% for A and B cabins, still a bargain compared to Cunard's 75% to 100%. By the way, except for the balcony, the A and B cabins are exactly the same - area and furnishings - as the lower categories.

I have been a solo traveling widower for 10 years, and now book mainly on Crystal. Except on the world cruise, Crystal's standard single supplement is only 25% for stateroom categories C-G, a real bargain compared with the other luxury cruise lines. These are non bacony cabins. As a solo traveler I have found that I never used the balcony anyway on the one or two occasions I had one - sitting alone in a cabin not my idea of cruise fun!

If you feel you must have a balcony, SS jumps to 35% for A and B cabins, still a bargain compared to Cunard's 75% to 100%. By the way, except for the balcony, the A and B cabins are exactly the same - area and furnishings - as the lower categories.

Hi Bob:) The only problem (for me at least) is that even

though Crystal has a very low supplement the cruise itself

is still way more than I can afford. So that low single supp

doesn't help:eek:

I've run into a great deal for solos on Carnival. Check out the 11/30/08 sailing of the Carnial Freedom. This is a 6 day cruise to Key West, Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen with 2 sea days. This is their first run with a new itinerary. Key West you are there from 8-4p.m. I love Key West so thought that was cool! Carnival's website has single occupany 1A for 429.20. Balcony guarantees are 959.00. (this includes taxes) I happen to be booked with a group so the deal got sweeter with some group amenities. Even without that, Carnival's rate is pretty darn good for having a cabin all to yourself!

Archived