NYC Transportation ???

DH and I will be spending 4 nights in NYC before leaving for our cruise. I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to get from airport- hotel, hotel-cruise terminal, cruise-terminal-airport. We will be flying into LGA, and we are staying at 54th & Broadway. Would it be best for us to pre-arrange a car service, or should we just get a shuttle or a taxi? I don't want to spend a great amount more than necessary for basic transportation, but we're willing to pay slightly more if the car service would be a great deal more convenient. I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Also, if you can help with suggestions for services, pricing, etc. that would be great as well.

TIA...

Its easy to simply catch a taxi outside the airport to take you into the city. You can also take a shuttle they are downstairs by baggage claim. I would simply take a taxi vs a shuttle since you the ride may take longer depending on where the others are going in the shuttle

I agree with folashade. Taxi would be your best bet. You will find the taxi lines as you step out of the terminal by the baggage claim area. Also, you can ask the taxi dispatcher approximately how much it should cost to get you to your location. This should avoid any surprises and also avoid an unscrupulous taxi driver from taking advantage of an out-of-towner like yourselves. It is unlikely, but there are still a few bad "eggs" out there. And welcome to our fine city. Your staying at a prime location, right near the Ed Sullivan Theater where they tape the David Letterman Show. Maybe you could get some standby tickets. Good Luck.

I would go with a taxi in NYC from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise terminal and cruise terminal to hotel. In many other cities I would go the private car route but in NYC it's easy to get a cab.

The only item I want to caution you is leaving the cruise terminal and going to the airport. On our last cruise for whatever reason we waited about 30 minutes for a taxi cab. It was no big deal as in our case we were going from the cruise terminal to a hotel. If you have a tight flight connection that would be the only place where you might want to pre arrange a car. But, if you have plenty of time, then I'd go with the cab.

Keith

generally a cab is fast and easy and relatively inexpensive by most major cities standards but depending on which Cruise terminal, which airport and time I have different suggestions.

There are three cruise terminals in NY-NJ.

There are three airports.

For either LGA or JFK to Manhattan I suggest a cab(from LGA to midtown its about $30 plus toll and tip from Kennedy its $45.00 plus toll and tip).

From Manhattan to the Manhattan Cruise terminal take a cab from 54 th street it should be $10.00 or less.

From the Cruise terminal to LGA or JFK its the same amounts as listed above but the wait for a cab may be long. If you can you can cross 12th avenue and probably catch a cab in somewhat less time but in less than an hour most people will be gone in a yellow cab.

Cabs from and to Newark are slightly more(its a fixed amount for the cabs from EWR(about $50.00) and back to the airport its the meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls and tip)...

If you are leaving from either the Cruise terminal in Brooklyn or Port Liberty in NJ do a search and look for the information or ask again.

Which cruise terminal are you departing from? If it is Brooklyn, make absolutely sure you have the address for your cab, because many don't know where it is and many may refuse to take you.

It is illegal for a cab to refuse to take you to your destination, so if it is Brooklyn and you have the address, they won't have a reason to refuse you.

Wow...thanks so much for all of the (quick) responses, everyone. :) It looks like a taxi is the way to go. That ought to be an experience. :eek: I've never ridden in a taxi before, and I must admit that I'm a little afraid of the thought. Do they really drive like they show in the movies? :o

For either LGA or JFK to Manhattan I suggest a cab(from LGA to midtown its about $30 plus toll and tip from Kennedy its $45.00 plus toll and tip).

Can someone tell me what the toll fees would run from LGA?

Which cruise terminal are you departing from?

Ummm...that's a great question. Does anyone know which terminal Carnival sails out of? :confused:

Wow...thanks so much for all of the (quick) responses, everyone. :) It looks like a taxi is the way to go. That ought to be an experience. :eek: I've never ridden in a taxi before, and I must admit that I'm a little afraid of the thought. Do they really drive like they show in the movies? :o

Ummm...that's a great question. Does anyone know which terminal Carnival sails out of? :confused:

Toll to/from LGA should be $4.00(actually 3.50 with e-z pass) each way, Althought there is a way to go with no toll(over the 59th Street Bridge)

Canrival leaves from the Manhattabn cruise terminals either piers 88, 90 or 92 which has one entrance at 54th street and 12 th avenue.

Pier 88 is closed for repairs.

NY City Yellow cabs cannot refuse to take you to anyplace within NYC or to Newark Airport. They are not required to take you to the Cruise terminal in New Jersey. Most cab drivers now know where the Red Hook pier is(its been open one season)....but the way to tell them its just behind the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn--the entrance is at Imlay and Bowne street but no one has clue where that is except mapquest

• 3 months later...
Is a cab the best bet from midtown Manhattan to Cape Liberty? Any estimate of the cost? Thanks.

Bruce

NO I don't think cabs are the best way from Manhattan to Port Liberty in Bayonne-NJ. Cabs are NOT required to go there and have reportedly been charging $100.00 which is outrageous. I would bet that most car services will charge no more than $60.00 and its a nicer car. Try Carmel or any of the Manhattan based car services. If you go through your doorman at the hotel expect to pay more as the doorman gets a cut and you get a car service that bribes the doorman...

NO I don't think cabs are the best way from Manhattan to Port Liberty in Bayonne-NJ. Cabs are NOT required to go there and have reportedly been charging $100.00 which is outrageous. I would bet that most car services will charge no more than $60.00 and its a nicer car. Try Carmel or any of the Manhattan based car services. If you go through your doorman at the hotel expect to pay more as the doorman gets a cut and you get a car service that bribes the doorman...

Thanks very much for the reply on cabs from Midtown to Bayonne. I thought I had heard this could be a problem. Carmel looks like the answer. Also I'll plan on using them from EWR to Midtown. Will they also pick you up at the ship at the end of a cruise?

Bruce

Thanks very much for the reply on cabs from Midtown to Bayonne. I thought I had heard this could be a problem. Carmel looks like the answer. Also I'll plan on using them from EWR to Midtown. Will they also pick you up at the ship at the end of a cruise?

Bruce

of course but it is best to have a cell phone to let them know when you are actually getting off....

• 1 year later...

Can someone offer info on getting from the Newark airport to the Manhattan cruise terminal and back that doesn't cost an arm and let.:confused:

I'm guessing taxis are very expensive!

Thanks all!

There is an airport bus that takes you to Manhattan and then you take a cab. Or you can take the airtrain and then a cab(after connecting into Manhattan) none of these cost that much. A can will run about $70.00 a car service about $55.00....

http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html lists all the ground transportation from EWR to Manhattan...

Airlink and supershuttle. I've used them both. Airlink is slightly cheaper. Last time I used them it was $15 each way for airlink and $19 each way for supershuttle. They drop you off at your door. At Newark they have a transportation desk where you can have them set it up for you, or you can set it up on your own. The only things you have to remember is that when they pick you up to go TO the airport, they do it extra early. Also remember that it is a shared van, which was never a problem for me.

http://www.airlinknyc.com/

http://www.supershuttle.com/

hey name game! how you doin'? long time no see. been awway for awhile...but wife and i booked on norwegian dawn...nyc to bermuda jun 15.

hmmm...i would vote for supershuttle if the price is small in comparision...but that's just my opinion.

Worse. ;)

From LGA, the driver could take the 59th street bridge, no toll.

Archived