Adventure of the Seas and the negative reviews questions???

mrogers

I have been reading all the reviews for the Adventure of the Seas and have a couple of questions.

Our family has cruised on both the Explorer and Mariner and we love these ships. I really want to do the Southern route this spring but there is a common complaint on many of the reviews.

Can any past guest comfirm these issues and if it is really a problem that it seems to be, if so why does RCCL not do something about it?

It would seem like this would hurt bookings if all these reports are true with rude passengers, kids, ect...

I have not noticed the same problem on other ships sailing out of San Juan.

I was really surprised how many past cruisers mentioned this in the reviews.

I have been reading a the reviews for the Adventure of the Seas and have a couple of questions.

Our family has cruised on both the Explorer and Mariner and we love these ships. I really wnat to do the Southern route this spring but there is a common complaint on many of the reviews.

Can any past guest comfirm these issue and if it is the problem that it seems to be why does RCCL not do something about it?

We are considering the Southern route as well. What is the common comlpaint you are finding?

I have been reading a the reviews for the Adventure of the Seas and have a couple of questions.

Our family has cruised on both the Explorer and Mariner and we love these ships. I really wnat to do the Southern route this spring but there is a common complaint on many of the reviews.

Can any past guest comfirm these issue and if it is the problem that it seems to be why does RCCL not do something about it?

I can answer your questions - I cruised on the AOS last February and I am about to do it again for 2 weeks this coming February.

Are there Puerto Rico locals onboard? Yes. Was it an issue for us on our cruise? NO. I realize that there have been many negative reviews posted that centered around the fact that the more Puerto Ricans there are onboard - the more pushy, shoving people there were.....I have to completely disagree with this. Not once did we encounter a "pushy" Puerto Rican on our cruise - quite the contrary actually. The Puerto Rican folks we met onboard were lovely people......:)

Are the announcements in Spanish? Yes. The announcements made in English are followed in Spanish. Is this an issue? Not at all - if the ship were sailing in Canada - the second set of announcements would be in French......who cares?

My hope is that anyone considering the AOS out of San Juan not pay attention to the reviews that focus on the passenger demographic. It's not fair to lump the entire population of San Juan into one category! Please go and enjoy your cruise - see for yourself that San Juan is a fantastic place with a wonderful culture - all of this spills over to the AOS and makes for a great cruise.

If you have specific questions about the ship or my cruise experience - please email me and I would happy to answer them.

Happy cruising! :)

We had absolutely NO problems with any group of people while on AOS. In fact, having the diversity was a welcomed experience for us. Bingo was bi-lingual (I don't know if it always is, it just so happened our assistant cruise director was bi-lingual), and it was VERY humorous both for the English and Spanish-speaking people. No one stood out as being rude, pushy, etc. I would definitely go back on AOS again and again! This is from my own personal experience, and of course, others may disagree.

The AOS is a gorgeous ship....the So Carib route (Aruba) was wonderful.

Yes there were some rude people on the ship, yes 95% of the announcements late in the "disguesting" process were in spanish...BUT we had rude people on other cruises too.

Honestly it will be hit or miss! My friend from work did the Barbados route 3 weeks before us and had no issues with rude people.

I agree with parrott (i think that is who said it....) go with an open mind!

Funny, I didn't love SJ when we stayed there, but when we got diverted to SJ on our Navigator cruise, I had a better time.....except for 1 cabbie. Long story, but I told him in my somewhat fractured spanish that he was getting no extra money if he didn't drop off a van full of passengers in the center of Old SJ.

However, my youg female cabbie on the way back to the ship was one of the nicest people I have encountered. She actually appreciates all the tourists and said that she wants to be the best so people will remember her and reward her with extra tips.

OK, that was a little OT..........we loved our cruise.......we would not have booked more if we didn't. I would consider doing AOS again but my mom won't. (Mainly due to the plane ride and not-so-great hotels we stayed in post-cruise!)

Vacation is what you make of it...........take the criticisms with a grain of salt, go and have fun!

I have photos (see the link below...) and if you have other specific questions you can email me at

cruisermegathotmaildotcom

I to have read the previous thread, and now this one and my DH, my daughter and myself just booked a cruise on Adventure. Now, are we concerned at the demographics of the passengers, not really, we live in San Antonio, Texas where you can visit your local grocery store, and listen to the specials announced in the store in English then guess what, Spanish. The whole city is geared to the diverse population, and we get the added advantage of celebrating two countries festivities and holidays...it's great. So I would say go with an open mind and enjoy the fact you are on a wonderful ship, in a beautiful part of the world.

I did not experience very many rude passengers on the Adventure, Puerto Rican locals or otherwise. The only "rudeness" I can remember experiencing was people crowding onto the elevator without letting passengers off first. Kind of a pain when you have a stroller with you. It was a common occurence, regardless of nationality.

I have been on the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan 4 times and scheduled to go on my 5th in Feb.24, 2008. The only time we experienced the problem you are referring to was when we went "off season" in the fall.

Then the ships are not selling out and they offer it at a very discounted price to the locals in San Juan. That is the only time we had that situation with feeling pushed, butting in line, loudness and feeling very uncomfortable as the week progressed.

So, we never cruise in the fall anymore. Only during prime winter season.

BUT............take the advice of the previous members and go on your cruise and do what you want and relax and enjoy!!! I never let anything keep me from cruising again. The AOS is a wonderful ship!!! I have been on the sister Voyager and absolutely loved it.

kathyanddick

i have sailed the ship twice and not have anything bad to say about it, the crew is outstanding and the ship is great too, with regards to rude people you can get them on any ship but we did not have many if any at all, the only bad thing that i can pull up is that CD Richard Spacey just got off and is moving to the Freedom, he was the best, but other than that i loved the ship and there is nothing wrong with it

I did not experience very many rude passengers on the Adventure, Puerto Rican locals or otherwise. The only "rudeness" I can remember experiencing was people crowding onto the elevator without letting passengers off first. Kind of a pain when you have a stroller with you. It was a common occurence, regardless of nationality.

just like the subways here in NYC lol

We will be sailing on the Adventure on 1/14/07 - YAY - and I have read the negative posts but......there are not many and the lastest post that was taken off these boards was rude and offensive and I am happy they deleted it. Your vacation is what YOU make of it. Wherever you go you are going to find rude people, not just in Puerto Rico ~ I say go, have fun and take everything you hear with a grain of salt! Happy sailing to all.......:D

HI!

We will be cruising Feb 25 on AOS. This is our first cruise! I have read many of the reviews as well, but like the other posters, we will be going with an open mind..I believe EVERY trip is what you make it!

Hipster1, we are on the same cruise..have you visited our thread to say hello? There are several others on the same cruise. We would love to hear from you! :)

Go and have fun!! We were on the AOS last June and had NO problems. Yes announcements in Eng. and Spanish and German, French, Portugese, etc. Maybe it was just the makeup of our particular cruise, but I find it interesting that people complain of Spanish and not the other languages that were used.

I was on AOS 10/29 of this year and had a blast. As a statement of fact, there were about 2000 people from Puerto Rico on the ship. It was one of the best vacations I have ever taken in my life. The people were wonderful, the islands were fantastic. A few service issues but nothing uncommon or out of the ordinary--these things just happen.

I would book this ship again tomorrow if I was ready to plan my next trip. As people have said--vacations are what you make of it...go and have a blast and enjoy the seas and the pool and the food and the spirits. I met a ton of great people on the ship from all over the place (Puerto Rico/the Carolinas, The Midwest, Europe--it didn't matter!!)

Happy Holidays and Have a great vacation

Anthony

Just off Adventure in December - good ship with an excellent crew. Wrote a "live" thread that covered the ship,crew, and situation in some detail. Of course it is just my opinion (in writing), but it may answer/address some of your questions/concerns:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=449774

Have a great Cruise!

BRL

Archived