dock to airport in Amsterdam?

tams531

We are sailing Celebrity Century and docking on our last day in Amsterdam on Aug 2nd.

It says on the website that we dock by 5 am. What does that mean? Can I get off the boat around that time? Those of you that have cruised into Amsterdam before, what was your disembarkation experience time wise?

How far, time wise, is the airport from where we dock?

I am looking at a 7:40 am flight that morning out of Amsterdam, not sure if that would be cutting it too close?

However, that is the only flight at this time available that would enable me to make my connecting flight in Frankfort back to the US.

Any advice/input would be appreciated!

Tam

Tam: we have ended 2 cruises in Amsterdam. As I recall, the ride is about 30-40 minutes from the cruise terminal to the airport. I imagine that Ine, an Amsterdam local and CC regular can give you a more accurate estimate.

However, even though the ship may dock at 5am, I would be surprised if disembarkation begins before 7am. I have not sailed on Celebrity, but on the two cruise lines we have used, we have never been able to disembark much before 8am.

The ship has to clear local customs and inmmigration before passengers can leave. Once off the ship, you will have to locate your luggage and then get transportation to the airport. Once there, you will have to clear customs and check in with your airline and then clear security.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to make a 7:40am flight. You may want to consider staying over in Amsterdam a night if at all possible if a 7:40 flight is your only option. There is a hotel at Schipol airport which is convenient for folks with very early morning departures. Also, if you have not already done so, you might want to post your question over on the Celebrity board to see what experienced Celebrity cruisers have to say about disembarkation procedures and times. Hope this helps! Have a great cruise, too!

Even if you take your luggage with you when disembarking, I think it is almost impossible to make that early flight.

You need (depending on the traffic) minimum 20 minutes (on weekdays absolutely more) by cab to go from the cruiseterminal to the airport.

Due to all security nowadays, airlines want people to checkin 2 hrs. before on european flights, 3 hrs. before on US flights.

Even if you checkin 1 hr. before departure (which is short), plus the time to get to the airport, extra time for checkin, pasportcontrol, walk to the gate etc....

Like Bill S. stay 1 more night in an airporthotel.

Archived