beach between Pitons

grobbins

I was on the Dec 2 sailing of the Crown with my three sisters. We booked a tour with Herod. Best money ever spent. He picked us up on time at the pier. We stopped overlooking Marigot Bay where the original Dr. Doolittle was filmed. There are vendors there and a small snack shop. Herod is a former teacher. His tour was very informative. We stopped at a banana plantation, a waterfall (can swim under the waterfall) and garden and had fish from a local. Herod is well known. We then went to the drive-in volcano. The highlight of the trip was snorkling between the two Pitons at the Jalouise Plantation. It is a resort. There is a guard station so I'm not sure if you could gain entrance without staying there. The snorkling was wonderful to the right. Lots of colorful fish and some coral. I saw many brown eels. The water was bath tub warm and very calm. You could wade out in the clear water and see fish without snorkling. After on the way back we stopped for fresh bread at the bakery. Drinks were provided - bottled water, coke, rum punch. All entrance fees and food provided. Cost was $50 plus a well deserved tip. He had a very nice van - there were 6 of us on the tour. To drive there by taxi would be a long way, don't know if you could enter resort. Book with Herod.

Hi Sandandsnow! Your trip in st lucia soumds great. You certainly got a lot for $50pp! How can I book with him? Right now we are a party of 2 but I can post for add ons. We will be there on Friday-Jan 19 and I cannot wait. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. We are doing St Marteen, Antigua, St Kitts, Barbados, Margarita Island, Curacao and Aruba. Any other pointers for these ports?

We booked Herod thourgh Herodstaxi.com (I think). He is on these boards. He's also talking about getting a land and sea tour started. I had my own snorkeling gear - but there are faciliites on the beach. Resort used to be a Hilton. I don't know what the cost was to rent gear. A couple with us rented. There is also a bar and swimming pool on the property. The pitons are two mountains. St. Lucia is beautiful.

Other islands: St. Maarten - We hooked up with Big J Taxi Services tel. 0590-874190. She was great. She is a former pro boxer. She was very informative - we went to the french side first for shopping then she dropped us off at Orient Beach for a few hours, picked us up when we stated and took us back to Phillipsburg to shop. Highly recommend. I believe it was about $20 per person for the day. (Just to take a taxi to Orient Beach from pier is $18- then you have to pay for taxi back).

Antigua - Booked with Lawrence- was stood up. Took local taxi driver (he wasn't great). Promised more than he delivered. Would've liked to stay at Nelson's Dockyard longer (historic dockyard). Buildings have been kept, some are now museums, shops, restaurants, etc. They have people in period dress giving tours. We went to Runaway Beach in the afternoon.

St. Kitts - When we were there a couple of years ago we took a taxi to Monkey Beach. Nice beach with facilities.

Barbados - Been there a couple of times. Both times just got taxi off of the pier did a couple different island tours. This time went to the Atlantic coast (Bathseba) Beautiful - photo ops. Went to Sandy Lane where Tiger Woods got married. Held green monkeys. Drove through Scotland and Whim Gully area. Stopped at the Tyrol Cot Village (original homes with crafts people inside) and at Pelican Village for a flying fish sandwich. Taxi $30 per person (4)

Marg. Island - We were on Celebrity boat. The boat dock was quite a ways away so we took a boat tour. Went to a garden with a maze. Stopped at a pearl shopping area and took a boat ride in the mangroves (kind of like a Disney ride). It was good.

Aruba - Great island. We rented a jeep (messed up on our reservation- should've had 2) We drove over to the bridge, lighthouse, toured island, snorkled and beach at a major hotel (forget which one). Very nice island. Very nice shopping malls. It was easy to drive on own.

We were just at Jalousie Plantation 11/29-11/6, which is the resort located between the Pitons. I believe there is an entrance fee for guests and you can probably contact Jalousie to see how much it costs info@jalousieplantation.com The location is spectacular and worth the drive. The (small) beach has lots of lounge chairs and thatched umbrellas, snorkeling and non-motorized watersports (kayak, hobie, etc.) There is a lunch buffet and flags that you can stand up in the sand if you want drinks or food. If you have water shoes, I'd bring them as it is rocky when you first get into the water. We hired Fabian (info@*****.com) for a tour and he also does transfers from cruise ships. He is wonderful and can will provide a quote if you email him.

Archived