airport to pier - Stockholm

We're flying in to Stockholm on August 6th and will be heading to the Frihamnen pier #638. Can anybody tell me how long a taxi ride it is and how much it costs? Also is there any public transportation as an alternative. We are going to drop off our luggage and tour a while before the ship heads out. Thanks,

Kim

Our flight landed in Stockholm around 8AM. We took the express train to the downtown train station, stowed our luggage in lockers and walked to Gamla Stan for a self guided walking tour with many stops along the way. At around 3 PM, we collected our luggage and took a cab from the train station to the ship, about a 10 minute ride.

Earlier this spring I posted a thread headed Stockholm – docking and transportation. As it was designed for the old boards it now looks rather unattractive so I prefer not to direct you to that thread. Instead, here is a copy of the information reagarding how to get to and from Arlanda airport:

The main ways to get to the airport are taxi, train or bus.

Taxi

A taxi ride between the city and the airport takes 45 to 50 minutes, but can take a lot longer depending on the traffic situation. Taxi Stockholm, one of the bigger taxi companies in Stockholm, has set prices for travel to and from Arlanda. An ordinary taxi from Arlanda to the inner city (takes 4 passengers) costs SEK 390. If you need a bigger car the cost is SEK 585.

An ordinary car from the inner city to Arlanda costs SEK 475. A bigger car costs SEK 715.

There are other taxi companies that match these prices. But make sure before you enter any car. Unfortunately there are also an independent black taxi market that will badly overcharge.

Train

The Arlanda Express train is a very quick and convenient way to travel. The train has two stops right under the airport terminals. The ride to, or from, the Stockholm Central Station takes 20 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 180. Here is a link to the site, where you can find timetables etc. http://www.arlandaexpress.com/ Outside the Central Station there are usually taxis waiting.

Bus

There are also airport coaches leaving outside the terminals. They will take you to the Stockholm Central Station, stopping twice on the way in, in about 40 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 89, so it is considerably less than the train. But it is also slower, more crowded and less comfortable. Here is a link to their site: http://www.peopletravel.se/en/koncernen/

Ellenbolt, I recommend you follow Andee's advice and take the train. The Central Station is within walking distance from the Old Town. It is also near the Town Hall which could be a nice place to visit. I hope this is of help to you.

When you are at the train station, it is simple to use your credit card to purchase your train tickets at the machines in the station. They are running a summer special...200 SEK for TWO tickets, vs. the usual 180 each.

Make sure you choose the summer promotion selection on the screen.

Ask for ONE ticket. This is a two person ticket.

If I'm not mistaken, it will be cheaper to take the train to the station, and then taxi to the ship, rather than taxi from the airport.

Archived