Does HAL have "Elegant High Tea"?

Lois R

:) Hi...was just wondering...does HAL offer an Elegant Tea during one of the late afternoons? That would be in the dining room.....with different teas, pastries, etc.....

Its one item I really enjoy on Celebrity...the waiters are dressed to the nines.....and they even request (oh no) dressing for the occasion...;)

I wore black slacks and a cute top.

Hi Lois...yes...there is always one afternoon where there will be a "Royal Dutch Hight Tea" where there will be a lovely choice of teas and many delectable 'goodies' to go with your tea! Most times at the 'Royal' tea...the Captain and some of the officers will be there to greet you. All this is usually accompanied by the string quartet playing softly in the room with a chance to meet some of your other fellow guests. They usually also offer 'afternoon tea' which is not quite as fancy on the other afternoons.

Enjoy your first HAL cruise...I know that you cruise a lot with Celebrity...but I think that you will find HAL just as lovely an experience.

Betty

:)

HAL's Royal Dutch High Tea

On some ships it is held at 3 and on others at 3:30. Most of the time it is in the dining room. But one time it was held in the atrium. Can't remember which cruise or ship that was. They brough out lots of chairs and small tables and there were all kinds of goodies. But many people couldn't find a place to sit down. Most were trying to juggle plates and tea cups.

Very rarely have we ever seen an officer at one of those special teas.

:)

:) Thanks thanks!

Betty...I do hope you are correct...I plan on having a wonderful week and hope everything is smooth sailing...in all the ways that count the most:D

What's the difference in Dutch Tea and English tea? Afternoon tea is something I very much enjoyed on my trips to England and Scotland. It really revives one on a looooong day of sightseeing.

I was recently corrected by a very distinguished elderly Irish gentleman, who informed me that High Tea was for children and servants, and served in place of their evening meal, rather than the glamorous affair we refer to now. I found that amusing.:p

I don't think the HAL formal tea is as nice as on Celebrity with the trolleys, etc.

On the Ryndam last November we weren't offered a choice of tea, but rather they poured standard hot tea from nice silver teapots.

Also, the food was serve-yourself buffet rather than the nice trolleys brought to your table on Celebrity.

Nevertheless, I always enjoy tea at sea!

thanks for the input....I will probably still attend but in my opinion....part of the elegance is being served.....on X..the waiter brings over a beautiful wood box..filled with different types of teas....and almost within a moment another waiter brings you a tray with choices of condiments....and they are all wearing white gloves....I think (sometimes) I was born in the wrong era;)....but then I remember, Oh I love to fly and how would I get to the ship otherwise:D

A previous poster asked the difference between Dutch and English tea. I have never been to the Dutch High tea so I don`t know what they serve. I can tell you about English High and Afternoon tea. High tea is ALWAYS a knife and fork meal. Usually something like grilled or fried fish, cold meat and salad, or even an omelet and salad. It would be followed by either canned fruit and cream, with pastries, scones etc, and always with lashings of good hot tea. Afternoon tea on the otherhand, is usually finger sandwiches (always with the crusts removed) toasted teacakes or crumpets, scones and tiny pastries, again with hot tea.

In working families often the main meal is served at lunch time and then they would have High tea at around 6 pm. On the other hand, the top drawer people would have lunch, afternoon tea and then dinner around 8pm. At least that is how it went when I was young. People are wont to change things as everything is more fast food and frozen meals these days......jean

According to the menu at Fortnum and Mason, London, afternoon tea consisted of finger sandwiches, scones and pastries. High tea consisted of Chicken a la king, Welsh rarebit plus scones and pastries.

Afternoon tea is served every afternoon in the Explorers lounge. Dutch tea, a variant of High Tea, is served cafeteria style once every 7 day cruise in the dining room.

Archived