Can I skip my early dinner

Jackalopes

Jack, a couple of things about dinner...why would you want to skip your early dinner?

In the main dining room, there are 2 seatings. Most people request a certain seating and the cruiseline tries to honar the request.

IF you think main seating (early) is too early, I would put a request in for 2nd.

Now, I have been at tables that have decreased after the first night....because it was too late for a couple of people. They went to the Maitr'd and he was able to switch them to early...but that was for the rest of the cruise.

Not sure if you are asking for the whole week or one evening only?....it is much easier on the staff if you eat at the time you requested.

If you want to change your dinner seating, you should have your Travel Agent make the request as soon as possible - then check the card in your cabin as soon as you board. If it is not what you requested, you can go to the dining room and request a change (you'll be waiting along with many others that are trying to change).

Celebrity does not offer an open seating or freestyle dining option. There is always the alternative dining at which you can request whatever time you want to eat (and can dress casual for any dinner). They set an area of the buffet dining room with tableclothes and there is waiter service - the dinner choices are the same as those in the main dining room. Other options include the grills, pizza, sushi, or room service.

Guest alexMD

I'd agree with the above.

Now, each cruise that I have been on is FAR busier during early (aka "main") seating. The reason is that cruises tend to have a lot of older folks who go to bed somewhat early, and it is also a popular time for families with kids.

This makes it a BIT easier to switch from early to late, and harder to switch from late to early. BUT... once you choose, it's yours for the duration of the cruise.

They also have an alternative restaurant on most cruises.

Jack since ships are sailing at capacity there may not be a seat available. You can go to the casual buffet area or even order dinner from the dinner menue for room service. Only a tip is expected. All courses come at once.

I'd agree with the above.

Now, each cruise that I have been on is FAR busier during early (aka "main") seating. The reason is that cruises tend to have a lot of older folks who go to bed somewhat early, and it is also a popular time for families with kids.

It depends on the cruise. On the Transatlantics we have been on, the late seating is fuller. We had a table for 10 that was turned into a table for 12 after the first night. I think it might be due to the number of Europeans on board - they usually eat dinner later in the evening.

I asked this a while ago and did another poster and was told that if you approach the Maitre'd, it is entirely possible for you to be seated at late seating for one night only. On ships with specialty restaurants, he will know if any of the pax from the late seating have reservations. I believe the answer will always be no if you do not ask. As other posters have mentioned, there are a couple of alternatives available if seating is not available, but I am sure with X's reputation, they will do everything they can to accomodate you for one seating.

I am almost positive that depending on the type of cruise you are taking, there will be more at one seating versus the other. For most pax from the East Coast taking an Alaskan cruise, I would imagine early seating would be preferable to late seating unless eating a full dinner at Midnight-1AM "body time" is the norm. Same thing would apply for a West Coaster taking a trans-atlantic or even eastern Caribbean cruise; a full dinner at 3pm "body time" may not be preferred.

Archived