? about Internet Cafe on Carnival

Sandi149

If I want to use the computers in the internet cafe on the Miracle, do they charge you to "use the computer" or just while going online (Yahoo, email, etc). If I want to write an email, I would write it in Word first and then copy and paste it into my web based email program. If they charge you just to be on their computers, then I guess it doesn't matter where I write it.

Thanks. :)

The connections are very slow here is your best option..

Log in download all your emails, then log off open each one reply to it and when your finished relog in it will then send your emails and you will not waste money during the reading replying process.....

John

In order to use the computers on the ship you must setup an account and log-on. Everything you do on the computer will count against your time whether you are writing an e-mail or sending it, browsing the internet or talking to a friend. When you are logged into the ship network the meter is running.

It is a better value to bring your own wifi enabled laptop. Compose your e-mails off line. Only log-on to the ship network to send and receive e-mail then log-out. Read downloaded e-mails offline.

You see that's the thing, I don't have a laptop. Just a regular computer. So bringing a laptop isn't an option.

So you are both saying that even if I'm just composing an email in Word, the meter is still running? They charge you "just to use" the computers?

How much does this all cost? I don't plan on using it a lot. I just want to write a few emails to my mom who will be watching my kids when we go.

From the Carnival website:

Internet Cafe Price List

Charges for the following services will be billed directly to guest's Sail and Sign Account as follows:

A one time activation fee is $3.95.

To obtain a temporary account while on board, the set-up charge is $3.95.

To print information, the charge is $.50-per page.

To utilize the service of the Internet Cafe, whether using a private workstation, renting a laptop or using the guest's personal laptop, the charge is:

$.75-per minute.

Block of Minutes (no refund for unused minutes):

3, 4 or 5 Day Cruise

30 minutes for $16.50 (.55 per minute).

60 minutes for $24.00 (.40 per minute).

7 Day Cruise or Longer

100 minutes for $55.00 (.55 per minute).

250 minutes for $100.00 (.40 per minute).

To rent a Wireless Internet Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day. To rent a Laptop, the charge is $35.00 per day; optional insurance is $10.00 per day.

spacer.gif

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

Sandi the meter only runs while your logged on .. I.E downloading your emails logging off (5 Mins) then one hour to reply then log back on and send all your emails (5 Mins) all you have used is 10 mins.... does this make sense?

John

Ok....so I log on.....I am assuming you create a username/password. Then you log on and the meter starts running. I then would go on Internet Explorer and go to my ISP's web based email program, read the email. Then log off. When you log off and just type your email "in Word", the meter isn't running? Then I log back on, copy and paste my email into my web based program, send the email....meter IS running. Then log back off and the meter stops running.....LOL

Is that how it works?

Yes your right on track..... also I have spoken to several crew members who get off in port and head to an Internet Cafe because it's cheaper for them......

One idea is to avoid a bunch of bogus emails setup a new email that only important people have and check it only while onboard... no need to get a bunch of ads via email when your paying sky high prices.....

John

Ok great....then that is how I will do it. I doubt I will buy a block of minutes since they don't charge you to compose the email when you are not logged on. I will just pay the per minute charge for however long I am on there which I doubt will be that long.

Thanks everyone for your help. :D

Yes your right on track..... also I have spoken to several crew members who get off in port and head to an Internet Cafe because it's cheaper for them......

One idea is to avoid a bunch of bogus emails setup a new email that only important people have and check it only while onboard... no need to get a bunch of ads via email when your paying sky high prices.....

John

My ISP has a great spam filter so the emails that I get are only the ones from the people in my address book.

Sandi the meter only runs while your logged on .. I.E downloading your emails logging off (5 Mins) then one hour to reply then log back on and send all your emails (5 Mins) all you have used is 10 mins.... does this make sense?

John

John how does one "I.E downloading your emails logging off" with the internet cafe computers? The only cruise on which I used the ship computers required the use of a web-based mail client as opposed to a mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird. There was no way to "download" anything. I suppose I could bring up a single message, log-off, read the message, log-on re-connect to the web-based client read the next message log-off etc. I don't see how this saves any time. Has this changed? I don't see how you can get around the clock running when reading messages.

With my laptop I can change the stmp settings in Thunderbird so that my laptop can access my isp e-mail account the same way I do at home. Doing so allows me to "download" my e-mail and log off. I then compose any new e-mail, log back on and upload in the same fashion. Upstream speeds are painfully slow so I limit any outgoing e-mail to text only. If I want to send some pictures I do it at an internet cafe in a port of call.

I don't know if anyone can answer this, but i'll ask anyway...

Our cabins (Miracle), 8155 and 8159 are on the Panorama deck, just under the Odessy (sp?) pool where there is wireless access. Will I have access in my room? or will I have to go up one floor to the pool to use my laptop? AND I am pretty useless when it comes to technology, so will the internet person help me set up the connection?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

I don't know if anyone can answer this, but i'll ask anyway...

Our cabins, 8155 and 8159 are on the Panorama deck, just under the Odessy (sp?) pool where there is wireless access. Will I have access in my room? or will I have to go up one floor to the pool to use my laptop? AND I am pretty useless when it comes to technology, so will the internet person help me set up the connection?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

I assume from your sig you are talking about the miracle. Since the only Spirit Class ship I have sailed was the Legend where wifi only worked in the vicinity of the library I cannot answer that question but on every ship the internet cafe host has provided fast answers to any problems I have had. You will find printed hand-outs showing what settings need to be made/changed but if you have any questions or need some to walk you through the process don't hesitate to ask. they will be happy to do so.

I have not cruised since Oct. 2005 on Elation. At that time I could not print documents on the ship's printer from my laptop. The work-around was to email the document to be printed to the internet cafe host who would then print it for me for the per/page charge. If you think you will need to print anything ask what the current procedure is.

Yes, i meant the Miracle...i'm still sleepy and not typing/thinking clearly!

I went to the website that shows all available internet connections on Carnival and it was helpful.( http://www.mtnsat.com/digitalseas/ccl.htm )My husband has to check in for work and I wondered if we would have to leave our room with the laptop regularly or if we could just hang out on the balcony and check mail.

Thanks for your help!

I was on the miracle and the connection wasn't terribly slow to be honest I would just login and pay per minute instead of buying a ton of minutes like I unfortunately did, and just do what you have to do and go. I bought the package of 250 minutes and only used 21 and that was going on 4 times checking emails for 3 different accounts, deleting emails, and writing quite a few so 20 mins went a long way for me with it and it wasn't horribly slow, I would say to just login and use it like you normally would.

YST all you need to do is disconnect from Carnivals server not close the browser window, reply to the emails and reconnect then they will auto send ... now if you shut down the browser window your pooched so to speak....

Make sense?...

there is a good chance you will have WiFi on decks just below and above the internet station....

John

In Cozumel, you can find internet connections as low as $1 per hour in port. It was $3 at a kiosk right at the dock area. Speed is good.

Some ports, with less to do and where the cruisers are more captive, charge more.

Given that most folks get antsy and want to be a short walk away within an hour of departure. This can be a relaxed time to do your internet.

You can Foo Foo your savings when you get back on board.

I serisouly doubt you are going to find Word installed on any of the computers. I would just compose your replys in your web based e-mail. Just keep them short and sweet and it will be faster than starting another program, refering back to your original e-mail as you type and then copying and pasting when done.

Hey John did you used to live in Eureka Springs, Arkansas?

I serisouly doubt you are going to find Word installed on any of the computers. I would just compose your replys in your web based e-mail. Just keep them short and sweet and it will be faster than starting another program, refering back to your original e-mail as you type and then copying and pasting when done.

Hey John did you used to live in Eureka Springs, Arkansas?

The computers have WordPad from what I heard. Definitely not as good as Word, but it will work for me.

Word is major overkill for e-mail anyway. Again, you are not going to save any time or money by using Wordpad un less you are on your own machine where you can completely log off.

From what John said, I would log off, compose my email in WordPad or Notepad or whatever wordprocessing program they have, log back on and copy and paste my email into the web based program so it saves time.

Archived