Express Checkout

Baileysmom

We are driving from Oklahoma. I thought I was reading that RCI had express checkout for people wanting to carry their own bags off the ship instead of waiting for your color to be called. Although I cant find that in the packet I was sent.

I think a day before debarkation you are given info about carry-off luggage. It tells you a time etc. and as long as you can lift your suitcase and carry it, you should be able to use that service.

The info says you must be able to "carry your suitcase" although on Mariner, I saw people using the elevator. I don't know which ship you are on, but I would think all are pretty much alike.

Enjoy your cruise.

Katie

BaileysMom - There was no info in our packet beforehand either. We were given that info the day or two before disembarkation. (We were on Freedom.) At that time, self-disembarkation was anytime between 6:30 and 10:30. Although you definitely have to be out of your room by 8:00 a.m. So we just went to Windjammer and had breakfast, then walked right off the ship! There were about a whopping 4 people in front of us to get off. It was great and we'd do it again in a second! :)

If you do this self disembarking you are not to put out your luggage the night before. Otherwise, your luggage will not be ready for you in the holding room. Several cruises ago on Vision OS, we were given a paper form to show as we were leaving, supposedly there was a limit on how many were given out. Disembarking was smooth as could be and very orderly. On our last cruise on Monarch OS, no form was given, just told to be at gangway by 7 am. As a result, the line stretched out to the stairway of people wanting to disembark early. We were off just fine, but I preferred the system of having a form to show to disembark.

If you can carry your luggage, this is the best way to go. My only experience with this was on Mariner, and they have some funny rules about lifting and carrying luggage. If you can physically lift and hold your luggage above the ground as you go down the escalator, you will save some time. If you cannot hold your luggage above the ground, you can take an elevator from floor to floor in the Port terminal. This can add some time (20 minutes, perhaps?) to the disembarkation process.

On our last cruise we had breakfast, picked up our luggage, and were through Customs and sitting waiting for our ride by 7:40 am. On previous trips we have been waiting on the ship til 10:30!

Can this be done on any ship. We are leaving for Adventure next week so when its time to come back home all we do is carry our luggage off?

Check at the purser's desk early in your cruise. Our experience has been yes you can, but the procedure was different on 2 different ships.

Archived