Our FABULOUS day in Curacao!

NoNoNanette

Happy New Year, gang!

Here's an excerpt from my original cruise review on the HOLLAND AMERICA board. You folks interested in beaches should read on! Pictures in first YAHOO photo link in my signature

*THURSDAY 12/7 CURACAO. Word of the day: “WOW!”

We LOVED this island, In beauty, I place it just below Bora Bora.

We had arranged to hit a few beaches through www.curacao-actief.com

The moment we disembarked, I heard my name called. Curacao-Actief had hired a cab driver, Ramsey, to pick us up and deliver us to their office parking lot. Very nice guy, stopped a couple times for pictures, and pointed out some landmarks. Dom flipped him a $5 after the short ride. Very likeable fellow.

We were met by our tourguides/bodyguards, Saskia and Priscilla. If I may speak for my husband, “WOW!”. *grinning* These 2 cuties were Dutch interns. 19 and 22 years of age. Absolutely wonderful!

They drove us to a grocery store where we picked up a case of 8 oz. Venezuelan POLAR BEER and a couple bags of ice for $18.

Our first beach was the one that I picked out. Daaibooi Baai (“Die-Boy”). WOW! This place was virtually deserted. Fabulous! Facing the water, I snorkeled along the cove on the left. I’d NEVER seen such an assortment of fish. Some of the biggest Parrot Fishes that I’d EVER seen! The snorkeling was breathtaking. Water clarity was wonderful. WOW!

Next, we headed to CAS ABOU “Bon-Bini Beach”, which was Priscilla’s favorite. (A Dutch “Baywatch” type series was filmed here). CAS ABOU was an expansive, white sand beach. Probably a total of 30 people, if that, scattered about. The shades of blue were gorgeous.

Swam out to a floating raft with snorkel and bread for fishes. From there, I began swimming out to the reef. Honestly, before I got to the “drop off”, I turned around and swam back to the raft. I felt almost “too alone” out there. Water clarity was wonderful, just a little too much “nothing”. Had Dom been with me, I would have been fine. Just felt isolated.

I then snorkeled along the left side cove. WOW! There was a huge area with literally thousands (A million???) of small silver fishes. When I released some bread, it was quite the spectacle! They even overwhelmed the Angel Fish, who didn’t even attempt to feed. WOW!

Left there and drove a beautiful scenic route to the top of the island. Went to Saskia’s favorite beach, “GROTE KNIP”. The view from the parking lot, looking down on the beach was breathtaking. Talk about a photo-op. Wow!

Grabbed my snorkel and took off to the right. The water was out of this world. Great snorkeling. This may have been MY favorite beach, as well. Spent the remainder of the day sunning and splashing.

The gals drove us back to port. This was an 8 HOUR venture. $80 per person. I can’t say enough about our girls and their company, Curacao-Actief. Throughout the day, they stressed that it was “OUR TOUR”, and we were calling the shots. Heck, we were just along for the ride and loving every minute of it!!!

The owner, Anite, is to be applauded for planning this customized beach tour. We emailed back and forth a few times, then she called to chat, getting an idea of our expectations. These expectations were fulfilled a thousand-fold! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this company. (Especially after seeing 2 other tour companies who had their clients packed like sardines in their vehicles!)

I’ve dying to go back to Curacao and hit a few more beaches. WOW!

Thanks for your great review. I have a tour booked for my family of 4 in Feb. I am so excited to see this island. We booked the 1/2 day tour. It is supposed to be from 9-1. What time were you picked up and returned to the ship?

Nanette,

I have been in contact with saskia and pricilla and my husband and I are planning on using the two of them in April for our day at the beach. We you the only couple they took around. I wasn't sure if they would take just 2 of us. It sounds like you were very pleased. We are wanting to go to the beach in the morning and then plan on driving around the island in the afternoon. Any advice would be appreciated. We are looking for a beach that has good snorkeling, chairs and bathrooms. What would you suggest?

Barbara

Hi Barbara-

Yes, it was just the 4 of us. (The gals, my husband and I).

The snorkeling was out of this world at all 3 beaches that we went to. I'm fairly certain that there were chairs and bathrooms available at each one. You might want to ask the girls, though.

Honestly, Barbara- Just when I thought we were at "The Perfect Beach", we'd venture to another one that knocked our socks off.

As far as driving around the island..... We were all the way up to the "top" of Curacao, when we were at Grote Nip. So, we really did get a "tour" of the island just beach-hopping.

You'll love Saskia and Priscilla. They're little dolls!

Have a blast!

Nanette-Thanks for the review. I have a few questions. Was lunch provided? You look like you are lying on a blanket, did you bring your own? And, that's a nasty looking toe. What are the conditions on the beaches. Smooth sand or are they a little rocky? Would I need water shoes?

Pat.

Nanette-Thanks for the review. I have a few questions. Was lunch provided? You look like you are lying on a blanket, did you bring your own? And, that's a nasty looking toe. What are the conditions on the beaches. Smooth sand or are they a little rocky? Would I need water shoes?

Pat.

Hi Pat- actually, we picked up some snacks at the grocery store when we stopped for our beer.

I had brought an OLD sheet that I usually take to beach vacations...so yeah...it was ours. All of the beaches had huts/and or seats available, though.

Our FIRST BEACH (probably my favorite) was rocky. I'd left my shoes in their vehicle, and tip-toed around. I'd bring 'em, kiddo! (Dom sprained his toe whilst snorkeling....wasn't paying attention and got jammed) :)

CAS ABOU (Bon Bini) was a gorgeous white sand beach.

I want to say that our last stop, GROTE KNIP might have been in-between.

Hope that helps you!

Nanette,

We have booked with Saskia and Priscilla, but they will be leaving before April, so we will have someone else. Hope they are as good. Did you buy a cooler at the store for your drinks and snacks? Also, if we want to beach to snorkel and sun, which would you suggest? I love to snorkel, but after a while just like to chill. Would love to have a recliner if they are available. Did you drive around and look at any sights or shop in town with the girls?

Barbara

Good morning, Barbara-

Shoot me an email, OK? nanzo#datasync.com

To answer your questions-

Dom and I had brought a collapsible rolling cooler on board. (I loaded it up with a case of wine for the cruise). That's what we used. Picked it up at WalMart a couple of years ago for maybe $10. The girls also had a couple of coolers with ice and water for themselves.

Honestly, all 3 of the beaches that we visited were gorgeous. As far as "sunning" goes, Bon Bini was more of a "beachy" beach. Does that make sense? White sand, more of it, more Caribbean-looking.

I'd highly suggest that you head up to Grote Knip, too. It's all the way at the top of the island. The drive was quite pretty. That was our "sightseeing".

No.... sorry. No shopping.

HOWEVER, the gals made it clear that it was OUR day to do whatever we wanted. You're going to be delighted, Barbara!

Please...email me.

• 4 weeks later...
Nanette,

We are all set with our tour. Can't wait! I think we might take a small cooler also. Do you think we should pack a sheet to take along?

Barbara

Hi Barbara-

We had a collapsible cooler with us. I also had a ratty old "beach sheet" that we used in Curacao and Dominica. I ended up tossing it before coming home.

I wanted to email you the following.... at the risk of getting flamed..... you might consider "smuggling" room service sandwiches and chips off of the ship. We had club sandwiches, steak sandwiches, cake, etc. Basically had a "picnic" with our gals. (They were delighted!). I know it's "against the rules", but it saved us a bundle, and was alot of fun! :)

I know that you'll have a delightful time. The beaches are absolutely out of this world! (Dunno if I mentioned it, but we had cheapo-snorkels from WalMart.... perfect!)

Nanette,

We are all set with our tour. Can't wait! I think we might take a small cooler also. Do you think we should pack a sheet to take along?

Barbara

Hi Barbara-

We had a collapsible cooler with us. I also had a ratty old "beach sheet" that we used in Curacao and Dominica. I ended up tossing it before coming home.

I wanted to email you the following.... at the risk of getting flamed..... you might consider "smuggling" room service sandwiches and chips off of the ship. We had club sandwiches, steak sandwiches, cake, etc. Basically had a "picnic" with our gals. (They were delighted!). I know it's "against the rules", but it saved us a bundle, and was alot of fun! :)

I know that you'll have a delightful time. The beaches are absolutely out of this world! (Dunno if I mentioned it, but we had cheapo-snorkels from WalMart.... perfect!)

To all those who have booked with curacao-actief - please let us know how you got on. Based on the review here, we booked with them, and we were disappointed with their service. Fish and coral were great though! Please let us know how you got on - maybe we just caught them on an off day.

Archived