Keep to P&O!!!

UK family

With regard to the multi national aspect, have you considered Cunard? Both QE2 and QM2 go to the fjords - I am going (Via Iceland ) on the QE2 in June 2007. I travelled on QE2 last year to Greece and Italy in August and there were a number of nationalities, including American and German (although it did seem the majority (that I came into contact with) were British) - If this is of interest, perhaps you could post on the Cunard Board to see if anyone who has done these routes in the past can let you know what the mix of nationalities was.

I have been on Oceana and enjoyed her, but they have changed the way she operates (freedom dining etc which as a late booking (usually) solo traveller is not very attractive), so it will probably be Aurora or Oriana next time (next year hopefully) - Not been on Fred Olsen, but have considered it.

Re the flying - not flying 'debate' - I vote for sailing out of Southampton - 2 or 3 days to get into the mood before the first port, then the intensive port activity, then 2 or 3 days to recover before going back to work, perfect:D. Even at the end of October were still sitting on deck during the sail up the English Channel (Ok so it was a freak weather week:D). There is of course a major problem (:D) with QE2, she goes so much faster, there are fewer of these sea days! Only getting 1 day in June on the return leg

Karen

Hi Karen

Good to hear your comments re Cunard. I quite fancy giving them a try, but hubbie feels that maybe with the 1st and 2nd class issue (doesn't bother me, being 2nd class...or does it!). Will be interested to hear how your summer cruise goes.

Like me, you like to use your few days at sea going and coming back as pure relaxation time - it seems a perfect way doesn't it?! Also with the Aurora (and maybe the same with Cunard??) you can use the lovely facilities of the indoor pool area, so you don't ever feel cooped up.

We also now realise that we don't like the itinery's where you get port after port, bang, bang, bang- it's such a delight to enjoy the sea days (in fact....I would almost go as far as to say..that it didn't really matter where I cruised sometimes, even up and down the channel if I could just enjoy the ambience onboard ship on sea days....a curry at lunchtime...a book somewhere quiet....Ohhhhh!!

Happy cruising!

I love sea days too. The more the better but I don't want them cooped up inside the ship because the weather is c**p outside.

You see people wandering around looking at the shops or sitting looking into space etc. I can do that 50 weeks in the year here, so on holiday I want to be outside as much as possible.

Our next cruise will be port intensive but some we've been to before so when the ship empties itself we'll have it all to ourselves. MUTS is just brilliant and the variety of open deck ammenities aboard a "Grand" class make P&O (esp' Arcadia) positively bland.

When Ventura starts in 2008 I will look at what's on offer. Hopefully it's size and innovation will put off many of the P&O diehards so could be quite a good experience even if I do have to trudge out of Southampton.

Hi Karen

Good to hear your comments re Cunard. I quite fancy giving them a try, but hubbie feels that maybe with the 1st and 2nd class issue (doesn't bother me, being 2nd class...or does it!).

My first cruise in 2003 was with Cunard on the Caronia - a small ship with about 600 pax. Everyone ate in the single seating dining room. When she went, I had to look elsewhere, didn't like the look of QE2 because of 2 seatings for those of us down in 'steerage' (not a word to be used on the Cunard board unless you want to stir things up:D ) and the 2 class issue - so I went P+O for a few years ....and met the 'dreaded' 2 seating issue anyway.

Last year, booking late & solo, the single supplements on P+O were too high for the trips I was interested in, so looked at Cunard again. And booked.

On board there really is not much distinction. There are in fact 3 'classes' on QE2 - Grill (Queens and Princess), Caronia, and Mauritania (the majority of passengers are Mauritania 'class'). The Grill and Caronia restaurants are single seating, Mauritania dual. Other than the fact people eat in different restaurants, and the Grill pax have a lounge somewhere (it must be small and hiding with the restaurant, cos I never saw it) there was no evidence of class distinction. They might have more choice, or so called 'more attentive service' in the Grills, but honestly the selections and service were great in Mauritania (and who needs another course for dinner anyway - i am always stuffed at the end of the meal:D ). And I now like the idea of sittings rather than 'come when you want between 7 and 9'; as a solo traveller, its nice to know your table mates will be arriving soon:D

And anyway:p I like the Mauritania restaurant - with the majority of pax eating in one room (700-900 per sitting I would estimate) - its really lively and exciting !

(You will have to visit the Cunard board for info re QM2 )

However. (whispering here) I still class Oceana as my favourite ship - perhaps a second visit on QE2 (familiarity and all that) will change that, but its back to P+O next year (they start deducting Portunus points if I don't go back soon, LOL), probably for Venice on Aurora or Oriana - QE2 is cheaper for 'Venice' (solo) (and requires less days off work because she is so much faster at getting down there) but doesn't actually go there - she stops at Trieste and you book tours to Venice.

I want to SEE Venice from the ship:cool:

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed with P & O 15 yrs ago and my DH refused to go on another cruise ever. I managed to persuade him otherwise last June 06 and we sailed with the Grand Princess on her voyage to Italy, Greece and Turkey. We had a wonderful time and then to my amazement we decided to try P & O again and have booked a cruise on the Arcadia 08 New Orleans to Barbados. (Couldn't get a flight for this January.) However, have just come back from Caribbean with MV Noordam Holland America. Wow! Fabulous. Managed to have 3 days pre cruise in New York - flew B.A. - and am now tempted after reading these reviews to transfer or cancel our trip on this new ship. What are your thoughts? :eek:

RT

We sailed with P & O 15 yrs ago and my DH refused to go on another cruise ever. I managed to persuade him otherwise last June 06 and we sailed with the Grand Princess on her voyage to Italy, Greece and Turkey. We had a wonderful time and then to my amazement we decided to try P & O again and have booked a cruise on the Arcadia 08 New Orleans to Barbados. (Couldn't get a flight for this January.) However, have just come back from Caribbean with MV Noordam Holland America. Wow! Fabulous. Managed to have 3 days pre cruise in New York - flew B.A. - and am now tempted after reading these reviews to transfer or cancel our trip on this new ship. What are your thoughts? :eek:

Hi Kimmy

There is something about Arcadia which splits people down the middle , you either love her or hate her. She did not go down well with a few people when she came into service and a myth has emerged that P&O people do not like her. We sailed on her in October and had a wonderful time and thought the ship was excellent. We are not new cruisers as you can see below. She is not the same as Aurora or Oriana, surly a good thing and P&O do not claim she is.

We found no one on the cruise who did not like her or had any complaint and we talked to many people.

You should certainly not cancel your cruise just because a few vocal cruisers do not like the ship.

On the other hand there certainly is an issue with the flights to he Caribbean cruises as has been aired in a separate thread on this part of CC. However I do think that those who have had a bad experience in their flight go on not to enjoy there cruise and blame the ship. Most of the negative comments regarding Arcadia, I have seen, have been linked to the winter cruises to the Caribbean.

I think that the best cruise ship is the one you are on and I look forward to experiencing many of them. If you are positive you are going to enjoy the ship(any ship) then you will and you will have a wonderful cruise.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Archived