What does 2 uppers or 1 upper mean?

TX-Patriots-Fan

Hi,

I am looking to cruise in Sept of 2007 with two friends. We are looking to go on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston, TX. We are looking to stay in a room that has 3 'beds'. I see some interior rooms (in the deck plans) with post scripts for:

- 2 uppers

- 1 upper

- 1 twin / queen and 1 pullout sofa

The last one is obvious...but, the first 2 are not.

Does it mean:

- 2 uppers: 2 beds up on the wall and 1 (or 2) beds on the floor (ie - a total of 3 or 4 single beds)?

- 1 upper: 1 bed up on the wall and 2 beds on the floor?

I am trying to determine if these 'types' of rooms truly have 3 beds or just 2 beds.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of rooms?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The 1 or 2 uppers refer to beds that fold out of the wall. During the day they are folded back to be out of sight and out of the way. In the evening, the cabin steward will pull it down for sleeping. They are about 4 or 5 feet off the ground.

Paul

On the Princess and RCCL ships we've been on, and upper referred to a bed that came down from the upper wall. There were twin beds under. Example, in the room that my 3 daughters were in, the rooms were described as having 2 uppers. Well, both times, there were 2 twin beds on the floor and 2 upper beds that came down from the wall.

I think that's how most of the newer ship are now for rooms that accomodate 3 or 4 passengers that do not have a pull out couch. On some of the older ships, I think there were rooms with one twin on the floor and 1 upper, kind of like bunkbeds.

The 1 or 2 uppers refer to beds that fold out of the wall. During the day they are folded back to be out of sight and out of the way. In the evening, the cabin steward will pull it down for sleeping. They are about 4 or 5 feet off the ground.

Paul

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

Can I assume that, with these 1 or 2 uppers rooms, they also have 2 beds 'on the floor' (so, there would be 3 for a 1 upper and 4 for a 2 uppers beds in total in the room)?

On the Princess and RCCL ships we've been on, and upper referred to a bed that came down from the upper wall. There were twin beds under. Example, in the room that my 3 daughters were in, the rooms were described as having 2 uppers. Well, both times, there were 2 twin beds on the floor and 2 upper beds that came down from the wall.

I think that's how most of the newer ship are now for rooms that accomodate 3 or 4 passengers that do not have a pull out couch. On some of the older ships, I think there were rooms with one twin on the floor and 1 upper, kind of like bunkbeds.

Thanks, vmom.

That helps...I think it's safe to say that with 3 of us...the '1 upper' or '2 uppers' will work (ie - there is at least 3 beds - 2 on the floor and 1 or 2 on the wall).

Thanks for your reply!

I was wondering the same thing. I asked a travel agent she did not have a clue. She thought It meant the decks. I also asked her several other question, none which she could answer. I do not think we will go with that travel agent. We a family of 3 want to go on a cruise. So we need to make sure there is a bed of the child age 14. I am fining out more in this board then the travel agent.

I was wondering the same thing. I asked a travel agent she did not have a clue. She thought It meant the decks. I also asked her several other question, none which she could answer. I do not think we will go with that travel agent. We a family of 3 want to go on a cruise. So we need to make sure there is a bed of the child age 14. I am fining out more in this board then the travel agent.

I wouldn't book anything with this TA!!!!

Archived