Half Moon Cay - snorkeling any good?

snorkelman

As you can tell from my username, I enjoy snorkeling. I live in South Florida and I have been on over 15 cruises and I always bring my snorkel gear with me. Usually we cruise in the summer and the water temps are warm. This is the first cruise we are going on during the winter and I am not sure whether to bring my snorkel gear because I usually don't go in the water unless it is 80 degrees or warmer.

Therefore, my question is as follows. I will be on a cruise next week (January) and I was wondering whether I should bring my snorkel gear for Half Moon Cay. I would only be snorkeling from the shore so please don't tell me all about the excursion offered that takes you in a boat to go snorkeling.

I haven't really heard anything exciting about snorkeling at this port, so any advice would be welcome. So far, the ONLY snorkeling tip that I heard was that the best place to snorkel from the shore is the far north end of the island where you can see small wrecks, barracuda, and excellent fish.

The snorkeling was great when we were at HMC a year ago. As you are looking at the ocean and the ship from the beach, stay to the far left and swim out to the point for snorkeling (you should see others out there). The numbers and varieties of fish were amazing, very comparable to our snorkeling excursion off St. John on the same cruise.

• 3 years later...
Hey Snorkelman, did you go snorkeling from the beach? Was it great? Because I am going there next week and wonder whether or not to book the snorkel by boat excursion.

Thanks!!

Nancy

did you look at the date of the original post? It is from over 3 years ago.....just curious as to how you dug this up. I am interested to see if he still comes to these forums

hi... I took the snorkel excursion at half moon cay a few years ago.. It was a good tour and worth the money.. they took you around the other side of the island to a nice reef with lots of fish and coral...

• 1 year later...

Archived