Near miss yesterday on the Regal

tdf799

If anyone else has ever had an incident in the Canal, or knows how much control the ship captain has in the Canal I would be interested.

The ship is under the control of the Panama Canal Pilot--period.

Had this been an accident, it would not have been the first one for a cruise ship in the Panama Canal.

When I was stationed there in the early 80s, there were three major accidents in one year, one of them was a cruise ship. The Panama Canal pilots were responsible for all of the accidents. And, yes, the company that the Panama Canal pilots worked for--it was no longer the Panama Canal Company which had been owned and operated by the US, paid for all the damages, including sending all the passengers on the cruise ship home from Panama City.

We just completed a Panama Canal cruise on Oceania. It was stated by our Panamanian (sp?) lecturer/commentator that the Panama Canal is the ONLY waterway in the world where the captain surrenders complete control over the navaigation of the ship.

Bill

I beleive your commentator was incorrect. There are many ports in the United States, San Francisco, for one, where the ship's captain surrenders complete control to a harbor pilot. San Francisco has a very narrow channel under the Golden Gate Bridge. It takes a pilot to navigate the bay. This is not the only port with this requirement--I just can't think of other ones.

We just completed a Panama Canal cruise on Oceania. It was stated by our Panamanian (sp?) lecturer/commentator that the Panama Canal is the ONLY waterway in the world where the captain surrenders complete control over the navaigation of the ship. Also, it was interesting to see the pilot come aboard, followed twenty minutes later by a crew of 10-12 additional people. I assume these were line handlers ...

Bill

Well, it depends upon what you call a waterway. I know that there are several US ports that require the use of harbor pilots to enter the harbor. San Francisco comes to mind.

Yes--I'd expect that the extra crew were line handlers and spotters.

I was on the bow of the Regal during this alleged "near miss".

The bottom line is that this is a non-event and it's terribly irresponsible to the good reputation of Princess to be posting such drivel.

MJ

Wow, I bet you aren't the safety officer at your local club or place of work.:rolleyes:

A near miss is not a planned event and should be reported. An accident narrowly averted is hardly "drivel".

Sign me

:Run with scissors, haven't been hurt so no problem cruiser". :D

and I'm sure that all was under control here, too.

I'd say that is a bad assumption. 30 feet is way too close for ships of that size. One of the Panama Canal pilots goofed, pure and simple. I was stationed in Panama a number of years ago and used to know what the clearance requirements were in Gaillard Cut--but no more. That bit of trivia is gone.

It speaks well for the crew on the Regal that they were able to get the ship moved out of the way. There would have been significant damage had they collided and a bad day would have been had by all.

This would not have been the first collision in the Panama Canal, nor will it be the last. There were three accidents the first year the Panama Canal Commission took over operation of the canal from the Panama Canal Company. One ship sank in the channel and had to be cut up to be removed--took a year or so to do. Meanwhile, they had to dredge a new channel around the sunk ship to continue to use the canal. The cruise ship that sliced its hull by running aground had to go into dry dock in Panama City and the Panama Canal Commission had to pay to get the passengers home. The third ship had to be repaired also.

It can happen, though it's not the usual occurrence. It was must fortunate that they did not collide.

Personally, I would have enjoyed the excitement, too... but to call it a non event... that's very funny. Do you work for an insurance company? :) While we are thankful when nothing happens, it does not mean that a near hit or miss is a non event...

Archived