Near miss yesterday on the Regal

tdf799

Just a quick note asking if any other passengers were closer to the bow of the Regal yesterday when we almost t-boned an auto carrier in a tight turn near the middle of the Panamal Canal. We were on our balcony port side 2/3 back when the near miss happened. From 500 feet back maybe it looked closer than it was but I overheard someone who said they were near the front and it looked to them that we missed by less than 10 yards. When the bridge told eveyone on the bow viewing area to quickly move away from the rail I braced for the bump but luckily, it never came. I got one picture but it does not do justice to the proximity of our bow and their port side.

I'm sure more will be forthcoming when people get home from the cruise on Saturday. I was wondering how they were going to get 1500 people home from Panama City if we did collide. We were not going fast, less than 5 knots probably but 70,000 tons at 5 knots probably packs a wallop. I wonder what the pilots were thinking. I don't know how the thrusters control the movement and direction, but when the stern thrusters below me went into warp dive as the bow of the other ship came into view, I knew something was up.

Not to change the subject,but since you are on the ship was wondering if they got the new bedding on this ship.Have her booked for April and just wondering.How is the cruise otherwise? Hope you are having a great time.

The bedding looks the same to me. Second time on the Regal and 6th Princess cruise. Can elaborate more later, but suffice it to say I have never seen so many angry cruisers. 1st timers, and veterans. They have changed 2nd seating to 8:45pm,(just meeting the demographics of the passengers dining wishes, what?) shows aren't over until midnight, drinks are mis-priced ( computer is programmed in LA, NYE glitch) and we could not touch any food until the second day. This might have something to do with a reported outbreak of the N virus on the last cruise. Lame excuses. I always want to cut the staff and the ship some slack, stuff happens, but this has been a disappointment. That said, the Panama Canal was magnificient and the near crash added to the excitement. More feedback from other passengers and staff put the near miss distance at less than 10 feet but I didn't see it from up close so the distance will shrink by the day.

Just a quick note asking if any other passengers were closer to the bow of the Regal yesterday when we almost t-boned an auto carrier in a tight turn near the middle of the Panamal Canal. We were on our balcony port side 2/3 back when the near miss happened. From 500 feet back maybe it looked closer than it was but I overheard someone who said they were near the front and it looked to them that we missed by less than 10 yards. When the bridge told eveyone on the bow viewing area to quickly move away from the rail I braced for the bump but luckily, it never came. I got one picture but it does not do justice to the proximity of our bow and their port side.

Where in the "middle of the Panama Canal" did this happen. Were you entering or departing one of the locks, Gatun Lake, within the cut,.....???

It will be interesting to see any picture that is available.

8:45 pm for second seating!!!!! Wow that is so late for American passengers (like myself). Has anyone heard of them changing traditional to a later time on any other ship or is this isolated?
I seem to recall when we were on Regal Princess in September that the late seating was 15 minutes later than usual, compared to other Princess ships. There were so many older people on board who all wanted to eat early that I think it slowed things down in the dining room.

Not to joke about your near mishap but don't you mean near hit? :)

A near miss would have meant you collided with the other ship.

Glad everyone is ok.

......so lets see.......a miss.......is a hit.........:rolleyes:

I was on the bow when this occured. We also have pictures. I had a chance to speak with Captain Nick about this and he said the other ship was supposed to stop while we came through the turn but just came on through. This occured on the cut. The captain also said we got within 30 feet of the other ship but from my angle on the bow, it looked much closer. We also have pictures which we will post when we return. It was very scary.

Des

I was on the bow when this occured. We also have pictures. I had a chance to speak with Captain Nick about this and he said the other ship was supposed to stop while we came through the turn but just came on through. This occured on the cut. The captain also said we got within 30 feet of the other ship but from my angle on the bow, it looked much closer. We also have pictures which we will post when we return. It was very scary.

Des

Not "Captain Fabio"?

2nd seating has been at 8:45pm every night, something they claim to be able to change at will. The Captains Circle cocktail party left us in tux's with 55 minutes to kill before dinner. Shows start at 10:45 and end at 11:30 which causes a problem if you have to assemble for a tour at 7:10am. I guess the moral of this story is to sail a Grand Class ship with other dining options, like we have done before. Tough to fit one through the Panama Canal. Every day, something seems to have happened to make me feel that this is my last Princess cruise. It's has been our 6th and the little things that have made us so agravated are not mitigated by the free internet service and expedited boarding. Change announced at the cocktail party. Platinum level starts after 50 days of cruises and Elite after 150, if I understood correctly. This seems to raise the bar a bit. I am not willing to even give the affiliated lines a chance since Carnval has apparently turned Princess into a shadow of what we experienced just a few years ago. I'll attach our view of the close encounter of the 1st kind after we get home tomorrow.

2nd seating has been at 8:45pm every night, something they claim to be able to change at will. The Captains Circle cocktail party left us in tux's with 55 minutes to kill before dinner. Shows start at 10:45 and end at 11:30 which causes a problem if you have to assemble for a tour at 7:10am. I guess the moral of this story is to sail a Grand Class ship with other dining options, like we have done before. Tough to fit one through the Panama Canal. Every day, something seems to have happened to make me feel that this is my last Princess cruise. It's has been our 6th and the little things that have made us so agravated are not mitigated by the free internet service and expedited boarding. Change announced at the cocktail party. Platinum level starts after 50 days of cruises and Elite after 150, if I understood correctly. This seems to raise the bar a bit. I am not willing to even give the affiliated lines a chance since Carnval has apparently turned Princess into a shadow of what we experienced just a few years ago. I'll attach our view of the close encounter of the 1st kind after we get home tomorrow.

Sorry for the double posts, the internet on the ship is so slow I get an blank screen after the post then hit refresh and it posts twice. At 50 cents a minute most cruisers must be spitting nails over the service.

I was on the bow of the Regal during this alleged "near miss".

The bottom line is that this is a non-event and it's terribly irresponsible to the good reputation of Princess to be posting such drivel.

Here are the FACTS:

There was an announcer who was doing a running commentary over the intercom system about the history of the Panama Canal, interesting facts and figures, etc. We were appoaching the Culebra Cut on the N to S route. There was an automobile carrying vessel coming in the opposite direction from the Culebra Cut. The ANNOUNCER (not the Captain, not the Pilot) issued a warning over the intercom that those on the bow should immediately leave the bow because we were very close to the approaching vessel and may collide. There was an initial scramble to the door, but the crowd kept very calm and realized that all of us were not going to benefit from a stampede. So, we braced and prepared for what might occur.

Both ships passed safely, no one was injured...not even a drink was spilled.

As always, the pilots who know the Canal and know how to safely operate a vessel through it were very much in control and knew exactly what they were doing.

Those are the facts.

MJ

I was on the bow of the Regal during this alleged "near miss".

The bottom line is that this is a non-event and it's terribly irresponsible to the good reputation of Princess to be posting such drivel.

Here are the FACTS:

There was an announcer who was doing a running commentary over the intercom system about the history of the Panama Canal, interesting facts and figures, etc. We were appoaching the Culebra Cut on the N to S route. There was an automobile carrying vessel coming in the opposite direction from the Culebra Cut. The ANNOUNCER (not the Captain, not the Pilot) issued a warning over the intercom that those on the bow should immediately leave the bow because we were very close to the approaching vessel and may collide. There was an initial scramble to the door, but the crowd kept very calm and realized that all of us were not going to benefit from a stampede. So, we braced and prepared for what might occur.

Both ships passed safely, no one was injured...not even a drink was spilled.

As always, the pilots who know the Canal and know how to safely operate a vessel through it were very much in control and knew exactly what they were doing.

Those are the facts.

MJ

Well, forgive me MJ, but that is pretty darn dramatic and scary to read about in my book. 30 feet??:eek: Who cares who made the announcement?

If I were on the bow and saw a ship that close, I would heed those words immediately, with or without direction. I don't see anyone attacking Princess, just telling about the incident. I am also looking forward to seeing the pictures.

This brings up something I've always been concerned about. I know that local pilots know the harbors better than any one else, but I wonder sometimes about the qualifications of pilots from third world countries. I have spent a portion of my life Latin America, and I know most people land good jobs, not by their skills, but by who they know. Plus, my experience with bus drivers, etc., is that they take risks that would never be taken in North America or Europe. It seems to me, that taking such risks is cultural.

I am not so conerned with the Panama Canal, but more with smaller ports. My concern is probably unfounded, but it pops into my mind every time a pilot takes control of the ship I am in. I know my ships captain is perfectly qualified, but who is this guy taking control? What are his qualifications?

Well, forgive me MJ, but that is pretty darn dramatic and scary to read about in my book. 30 feet??:eek: Who cares who made the announcement?

If I were on the bow and saw a ship that close, I would heed those words immediately, with or without direction. I don't see anyone attacking Princess, just telling about the incident. I am also looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I guess we see things differently. I believe in "don't scream fire in a crowded building" -- especially if there's no fire.

Another piece of the puzzle is that the people who were on the port side of the bow of the Regal were perfectly calm as the other ship approached. If there were iminent danger, these folks would have been the first ones to be alarmed.

Putting it all together, it was a case an announcer not it a position of authority giving an unneeded general command over the intercom about something that never happened.

I understand that you may like to have this information, even though it may have been issued by someone not in a position of authority. I would, too...had it been accurate information...it wasn't.

And the estimate of 30 feet between the vessels is pure speculation and innuendo. Cars, buses and planes (yes, and ships) miss hitting each other every day. That's the nature of safety.

The Regal is a marvelous ship and the crew is top-notch. I'd sail again with them again in a heartbeat.

Although we may see things differently, I appreciate your point of view.

Best regards,

MJ

This brings up something I've always been concerned about. I know that local pilots know the harbors better than any one else, but I wonder sometimes about the qualifications of pilots from third world countries. I have spent a portion of my life Latin America, and I know most people land good jobs, not by their skills, but by who they know. Plus, my experience with bus drivers, etc., is that they take risks that would never be taken in North America or Europe. It seems to me, that taking such risks is cultural.

I am not so conerned with the Panama Canal, but more with smaller ports. My concern is probably unfounded, but it pops into my mind every time a pilot takes control of the ship I am in. I know my ships captain is perfectly qualified, but who is this guy taking control? What are his qualifications?

Pilots don't take control of any ship (other than the Panama canal perhaps) They are there to assist with water depth information and routing for a safe passage into a harbour or dock. The Captain is always in control and has the ability to veto the pilot and take whatever course is necessary to ensure safe docking. Not to worry.

Whatever his qualifications are, the chances are he does know a huge amount more about the local waters than the captain. And that's why he's onboard to advise the captain on what he knows about.

Also, look around you every time you go into and out of a port. Even in less developed countries, the chances are that the cruise ship traffic is a small proportion of the traffic that requires pilotage. Yet you don't see great piles of wrecked ships around and about, do you?

If a port really did have pilots who didn't know what they were doing, word would get around the maritime community pretty fast. You'd also see things like withdrawal of cover by insurers, which would soon put a stop to mainstream traffic to those ports.

Reporting what was seen and heard is information. If there is a fire, reporting it is news and if it actually occurred, is not irresponsible. Reporting different perspectives on an event allow those who were not there to judge for themselves. We were delayed passage for about an hour on Gatun Lake because 2 or 3 ships were approaching from the other direction and had the right of way. As we approached what I think was Gamboa , while viewing from our port side balcony, my wife looked at the bridge cam tv and said a ship was directly in front of us. The bow of the ship then appeared and seemed to be very close, as any other ship that passed us was at least 75 yards away. At that time, either the stern thrusters or the props went into warp drive for about a minute. The ships horn blew and the announcement for all personnel to move immediately away from the bow was made. Call it what you like. Through a second hand report, it appears that we had the right of way and the other ship was supposed to wait for us to pass. If it was 10 feet, 10 yards or 50 yards, this was not supposed to happen and many other direct viewers including a sailor of many years reported that it was a very close encounter and that he expected a collision. That it did not occur is a testament to whoever was at the helm regardless of fault.

This incident was exciting and in no way detracted from my opinion of the cruise. I am not a Princess basher and this was our 6th Princess cruise but in my opinion, a big disappointment. Many things caused this to be a less than pleasurable experience and I am not sure if it is ship or cruise line related. My table companions and many others I had the pleasure of meeting on tours had the same negative experiences. Space here does not allow for elaboration at this time, but I will be happy when this ship leaves the line. I will not be the only one sending a complaint letter to Princess. The picture I took of the event in question is too big to attach. I will be happy to email a copy to anyone who requests one. Contact tdf799@ameritech.net

On another topic, if anyone else on this cruise came down with a well known stomach ailment not needing elaboration, and went on the Lake Atitlan Guatemala tour please reply. I hesitate to attribute this to anything in particular and be deemed irresponsible. Sanitary conditions in Guatemala are probably suspect even in the nice hotel where we had lunch.

Archived