Near miss yesterday on the Regal

tdf799

I'm not assigning any fault, as I was not in the bridge. I think whoever moved the Regal to starboard as quickly as they did, did one heck of a job. Probably hard a starboard and port stern thrusters at full power saved the day. I was told we had the right-of-way and the other ship did not stop to let us proceed. I was just reporting a very interesting unusual event for cruise critic readers. If anyone can top this as a cruise experience, except maybe for the fire event, I would love to hear about it.

Whether "near miss" or "near hit" it certainly was no "non-event as someone suggests above." The car freighter was much closer than 30 feet even to our forward balcony. Although I cannot attest to how close the actual bow of the Regal was to the other ship at the nearest point, it would have been much closer than our balcony was. Also, my wife told our daughter to get back from the balcony not because of what the announcer had said (since my wife had not heard the warning), but rather simply because of how close the other ship was to our daughter standing on the balcony. Speaking with two crewmen afterwards confirmed that this was an unusual experience, although with different versions as to what was the cause.

Regardless, it certainly was an exciting "extra" attraction for the day at the Canal

My hubby loves things like this (only if there is no contact,or anyone/ship hurt)..the excitement of it..he would have loved to have been on your balcony..but me..I can do WITHOUT this added excitement! It certainly looked like it was a close call..too close for my comfort! Dot

I was on the bow when this occured. We also have pictures. I had a chance to speak with Captain Nick about this and he said the other ship was supposed to stop while we came through the turn but just came on through. This occured on the cut. The captain also said we got within 30 feet of the other ship but from my angle on the bow, it looked much closer. We also have pictures which we will post when we return. It was very scary.

Des

Was this by any chance Captain Nick Nash? If so, I think he needs a little more training - he was the captain when the Diamond hit the pier in '04 (the cruise before ours).

I posted my picture at the following location.

http://www.google.com/base/a/1472996/D1903691607991799994

Thanks for that!

I'm normally the sort of person who rolls my eyes whenever a CC member posts about some "near disaster", and I'm sure that all was under control here, too. But it does look close - I can imagine why some people might have felt uncomfortable!

My hubby loves things like this (only if there is no contact,or anyone/ship hurt)..the excitement of it..he would have loved to have been on your balcony..but me..I can do WITHOUT this added excitement! It certainly looked like it was a close call..too close for my comfort! Dot

Adrenaline junky eh!

• 1 month later...

Just curious as to what you and other passengers are unhappy about. We are booked on the Regal June 17 to Hawaii and am beginning to wonder if we should rethink this. We have early dining so change in late will not effect us. How is the food and the service? I hope that the pending release of the Regal will not make service and attitude on the ship decline as the release date nears. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

I posted my picture at the following location.

http://www.google.com/base/a/1472996/D1903691607991799994

That is just very, very cool. I would pay $200 extra to have an event like this happen on my cruise. Extreme cruising at its best!!

This would also be my favored picture of the entire cruise most likely, and it would be the one blown up, framed, and hung in my office as one of the premier memories of the cruise.

I love this kind of stuff!!

Wayne

JUDYJUDY..we are on last cruise of Regal LA to Sydney, leaving San Pedro on August 31, this year. We too hope there is a reasonable standard of cruise and the company/crew do not give up before it becomes P&O Australia - Pacific Dawn after arrival in Sydney on October 2.:confused:

As for the Captain..give us a good one for the last cruise Regal..no Titanic stuff...PLEASE..but then the Titanic sank on its first cruise eh.?

Yes..very few reports coming in on Regal nowadays.:cool:

We just completed a Panama Canal cruise on Oceania. It was stated by our Panamanian (sp?) lecturer/commentator that the Panama Canal is the ONLY waterway in the world where the captain surrenders complete control over the navaigation of the ship. Also, it was interesting to see the pilot come aboard, followed twenty minutes later by a crew of 10-12 additional people. I assume these were line handlers ...

Bill

Archived