2 1/2 year old on Jewel in 2/05

mmcruise

I am cruising for the first time in Feb. for a dear friend's wedding on RCCL "Jewel of the Seas" and we will be taking our 2 1/2 year old with us. We have an E3 balcony on deck 7.

Would love anyone's help/advice on the following burning questions:

1. Anyone been on the Jewel yet? Are the balconies there safe with a very active 2 1/2 year old?
2. I understand that at 2 1/2 and most likely not yet potty trained, he will not be welcome in the pools or at the kids' program. So where can you take a very active little boy on a cruise ship (Jewel in particular) to run around and blow off steam and play?
3. Anyone used the babysitting services on RCCL ships? Exactly how limited is it? If I want to reserve in-cabin babysitting for every night (will be an extravagance but I may go for it if it's possible), do I book right up front as soon as we board?
4. What about shore excursions in Costa Maya, Cozumel, Georgetown for anyone who's been to those places? What is the most toddler-friendly activity you can do?

Many thanks in advance!
mm

You might want to check on the RCCL board to find people who have been on this ship. Also, have you checked the Ports of Call Board for those specific destinations?
You might try talking wiht your TA, or calling the RCCL customer service line directly to find out about reserving babysitters, and what limits they have.

I just found a great post on Cozumel excursions, though not necessarily with kids. I don't have a travel agent, so that's a bummer. And Jewel information is hard to come by because it's such a new ship. I'll just keep my eyes and ears open over the next few months.

You are so nice for making your suggestions!

mm

I dont kthink royal caaribbean has in cabin babysitting. They do have it in the camps after 10pm for a fee. Im sure the counselors that work in there may do it on their off time. Check on royals baord and ask those questions.

Will your child be 21/2 at time of cruising? Royal is very strict with their childrens program. They will need to be potty trained. and allowed only one accident only. if another occurs there are no moe chances..

Your child will be safe on the baclony as long as you stay with thim out there. watch they dont climb up on the table. A balcony is a wonderful idea so you can sit out there whil child naps.

This is from the Family Cruising page at the RCCL website:

"Time for Mom and Dad
As a vacation for the whole family, Royal Caribbean also provides quiet time for Mom and Dad. That can be during the day, while the kids are at their own Adventure Ocean programs, or at night, while the kids are with babysitters.
For older children, we offer group sitting in the Late Night Party Zone. The service is offered from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in our youth facilities. Children must be at least three years of age. The rate is $5 USD an hour per child.

For childern at least one year of age, we also offer individual sitting in your stateroom from 8 a.m. until 2 a.m. Rates are generally between $8 and $10 USD an hour, depending on the number of children in your family. Payments must be made in cash.

We require 24 hours advance notice and the guests can confirm the service with Guest Relations upon boarding.

Please note: Children who are not toilet trained and diaper and pull-up free are not allowed in the pools or whirlpools. "

My dd was a month shy of 3 years old when we took our first cruise. We did not miss using Adventure Ocean because we were so busy.

My dd loved the balcony, but definitely watch every minute. If you ds climbs onto the table, I can easily imagine a child pitching over the side. Perhaps I have an overactive imagination, but better safe than sorry.

In Georgetown we went to the turtle farm and a glass bottom boat tour, booked through the ship (Explorer of the Seas). I personally found the turtle farm a little depressing (big vats of turtles, hotter than heck, vats painted an odd blue/green) but my dd loved it. They have a tank where you can catch turtles and that was the highlight of the trip for her. We have video and pictures and she still likes to watch.

here's a link to some pictures I took at the turtle farm

[url]http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=123140[/url]

In Cozumel, we shopped and went to Mr. Sanchoz beach. I think this year we will try Paradise beach just so we see something different, but we loved Mr. Sanchoz beach.

We didn't use the in room baby sitting. Honestly, after a hot day on the beach I was happy to stay in the room and rest. I realize I sound like a dud.

I'm sure you will have a great time. Don't forget your stroller, we did, ugh.

We are looking forward to our next trip in 2 months. I'm glad my dd will be able to enjoy Adventure Ocean because she likes to play with children, but I doubt if we use it very much.

We want to spend time together.

I don't have any advice for Costa Maya because I haven't been there yet, but beaches are always child friendly.

Have a great time,

Dawn

I took my toddler on the Serenade 4/04. We traveled the Southern Caribbean which is very port intensive. I took an lightweight "umbrella" stroller, which I could collapse easily to board water taxis and/or buses, taxi cabs. My son had a great time sightseeing and looking at all the musicians and people. He loved the beaches. On board, simply walking the halls and around the ship gave him exercise. My son was not potty trained (17 mos), but wore Little Swimmers. He did get in the pool with Little Swimmers and swimming trunks. He never "pottied" in his pants, but if he did, I wouldv'e gotten him out immediately. We had a balcony and the glass shield was high. I never felt scared about him being on it (with adult supervision of course). I advise you to do 1st seating at dinner. I didn't use a babysitter. Go, you will have a great time.

All great suggestions! Thank you so much! I am checking out other radiance class ships and think I will definitely put the turtle farm on our list (what cute photos!), as well as beach-ing. A stroller is a definite must-I am telling everyone in our group who has a little one. DS's brand-new passport arrived today and now I can't wait to leave-too bad it's not till February! Thanks again!
mm

Archived