The Boatyard in Barbados

boco5

It has been about 3 years since I was there. It used to be apx 10.00USD to get in and you got a drink token and a beach chair. I believe umbrellas may have been extra. The beach guys were kind of pushy about where they wanted you to sit but we stuck to our guns and stayed a bit away from the crowd. It was fun but not really my kind of beach. I like a more pristine beach . The beach there is not all that attractive. Very crowded and loud. We are still searching for our perfect Barbados beach! We did the boatyard 1 time and the Jolly Roger Cruise one time (which is great fun!) We are hoping to get it right this time around - We are heading for Crane or Accra. Good Luck .

It has been about 3 years since I was there. It used to be apx 10.00USD to get in and you got a drink token and a beach chair. I believe umbrellas may have been extra. The beach guys were kind of pushy about where they wanted you to sit but we stuck to our guns and stayed a bit away from the crowd. It was fun but not really my kind of beach. I like a more pristine beach . The beach there is not all that attractive. Very crowded and loud. We are still searching for our perfect Barbados beach! We did the boatyard 1 time and the Jolly Roger Cruise one time (which is great fun!) We are hoping to get it right this time around - We are heading for Crane or Accra. Good Luck .

Thanks, you made my descision real easy. No Boatyard beach for me.

Thanks, you made my descision real easy. No Boatyard beach for me.

You can't be serious about making a decision like that just from reading one comment from a person who went there once three years ago?? I'm sure many others, like myself, will tell you that the Boatyard is a GREAT beach! It has the most beautiful sand I have ever seen, so soft and powdery. The staff was the friendliest we encountered on some of the other islands, they even come around and pick up your garbage. You can sit wherever you want.

The price of admission is $15. It includes a lounge chair, a beverage, use of the water trampolines, iceburg and rope swing. Extra charges for an umbrella, jet skis, bungee, parasailing, etc. There is a bar (or 2?), restaurant and music playing. Volleyball is available also. Alot of fun on this beach, especially if you are with alot of your friends.

Go to Theboatyard.com to check it out.

Perhaps, if you're looking for a romantic or secluded spot, this would not be the beach for you.

We just returned from a Serenade of the Seas cruise and our first visit to the Boatyard. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Beach is very very nice, facilities fully adequate. Our kids ate lunch and reported the food to be very good also. Food prices were slightly higher than expected but not in any way exhorbitant. Easy cab ride from the pier and the Boatyard provides transportation back. I highly recommend the Boatyard for a relaxing beach day. The $15 entrance fee is a great value considering what it includes.

We were in Barbados on the Zenith two years ago, on a Sunday. Which meant there was nothing to do and we were too cheap to buy a tour. Took a cab to Boatyard and had a very relaxing time.

After taking my wife back to the ship, I did a downtown walking tour on my own. Nothing was open, except for churches. Some fine singing!

We will be back in Barbados in March. So far I have not seen anything more compelling than Boatyard on this board. What makes the decision even easier is the fact that we will be in Barbados on a weekday, which means that downtown shops will be open.

• 2 weeks later...
How much is a cab to the boatyard from the cruise terminal? Also how far is the boatyard from bridgetown?

I've heard of people walking to the boatyard......but it is a long walk. Cab should be very reasonable and the Boatyard has a shuttle to return you to the pier.

How much is a cab to the boatyard from the cruise terminal? Also how far is the boatyard from bridgetown?

From what I've read on these boards, $3 per person and the Boatyard offers free ride back to the ship in the afternoons....

You can't be serious about making a decision like that just from reading one comment from a person who went there once three years ago?? I'm sure many others, like myself, will tell you that the Boatyard is a GREAT beach! It has the most beautiful sand I have ever seen, so soft and powdery. The staff was the friendliest we encountered on some of the other islands, they even come around and pick up your garbage. You can sit wherever you want.

I fully understand how someone could make a decision based on the one comment. Not everyone wants what the Boatyard has to offer. There is nothing wrong with the Boatyard if this is what you are looking for.

To be honest, just based on their web site I wouldn't go anywhere near the place. This is not what I want when I go to a beach, where on the other hand it is perfect for many others.

To be honest, just based on their web site I wouldn't go anywhere near the place. This is not what I want when I go to a beach, where on the other hand it is perfect for many others.

I wasn't interested when I looked at their website either, but it is a bit misleading.

During the day time the beach is a family friendly place.......at night it is known for the party atmosphere.:rolleyes:

I'm sure many others, like myself, will tell you that the Boatyard is a GREAT beach! It has the most beautiful sand I have ever seen, so soft and powdery. The staff was the friendliest we encountered on some of the other islands, they even come around and pick up your garbage. You can sit wherever you want.

The price of admission is $15. It includes a lounge chair, a beverage, use of the water trampolines, iceburg and rope swing. Extra charges for an umbrella, jet skis, bungee, parasailing, etc. There is a bar (or 2?), restaurant and music playing. Volleyball is available also. Alot of fun on this beach, especially if you are with alot of your friends.

Go to Theboatyard.com to check it out.

Perhaps, if you're looking for a romantic or secluded spot, this would not be the beach for you.

We'll be hitting the BoatYard in early March. Most of what I have read is favorable. :D

I was there a week ago (1/29/07) and it was great. Not crowded, excellent service, absolutely beautiful water. Calm and so clear. It was my kids favorite port because of the water toys (and we rented jet skis). Keep in mind that you also pay for security. The beaches are all public so anyone can walk on but I noticed that the guys who worked there were always looking around so I think there are less chances of getting anything stolen. The $15 is well worth it for a chair/drink/watertoys/security/return taxi. And the umbrella is only $2 more. (A necessity since there's little shade)

I was there a week ago (1/29/07) and it was great. Not crowded, excellent service, absolutely beautiful water. Calm and so clear. It was my kids favorite port because of the water toys (and we rented jet skis). Keep in mind that you also pay for security. The beaches are all public so anyone can walk on but I noticed that the guys who worked there were always looking around so I think there are less chances of getting anything stolen. The $15 is well worth it for a chair/drink/watertoys/security/return taxi. And the umbrella is only $2 more. (A necessity since there's little shade)

I was there the 31st. i agree 100% excellent value, great sand and water. Easy, simple, fun, relaxing. everything you want. Not secluded but still did not feel too busy, even with 2 ships in town. Go to the boatyard and enjoy! I also rented a jetski, 4 stroke fast machine, $40 for 40 minutes, i think that's a pretty good deal. (also rented in st-lucia Reduit beach, calmer water, was able to go even faster!!!!!!!)

Does anyone know how much a locker costs to rent at the boatyard? And do you have to bring your own lock? (I assume yes but I've never rented a locker before so I'm not sure haha) So excited to visit Barbados and the boatyard looks like alot of fun! :D

I too would be interested about the lockers $ and how they work.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much the drinks are at the Boatyard on average? I have heard the food is a little bit on the expensive side but wondered if there were any drink specials?

I've been to the Boatyard at night and it was an amazing time - one price for all the drinks and entertainment - but haven't been there during the day. However, I have heard good things about the activities at the Boatyard but it probably depends on what is important to you. If you had kids, Boatyard sounds like the way to go but I prefer something quiet sooo...

My pick for Barbados is Sandy/Worthing beach, just south of Accra. It is a huge beach and for a lot of the time, it was empty (under 25 people for a massive beach). I have never felt so relaxed in my life - couldn't even remember anything about the office! There were showers/washrooms but not much for food/drinks. We brought a cooler bag with some drinks and snacks and we were fine all day long. (there are restauarants on the main street - just not directly on the beach)

It's probably close to a $20 taxi but you can take the local bus/vans that are in downtown Bridgetown.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1114276489053461589MiQmNy

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1289153491066635322odVSIK

Archived