SZ cabins

ennegram

Hello everyone. We're looking forward to a Mediterranean trip on the Westerdam this fall. Our TA has suggested an SZ cabin - 6117. As this is a different shape than all the SYs on the same deck, I would love to hear from anyone who's stayed in an SZ. Thanks.

Hi Ennegram,

We chose 6117 on the Oosterdam and sail in less than 2 weeks! I will report when we return. We have read comments by others and have seen some pictures posted here of 6117 on one of the Vista ships. We think we're going to like it and have asked not to be upgraded. The cabin has extra interior real estate because of the angle. I believe the verandah is larger, too. [6117 is not a handicap-accessible cabin, so it has a bathroom with tub (an important feature for me)--its twin on the other side of the ship is accessible so has a shower only.] I think we'll enjoy being able to look forward, as well as to the side from the balcony.

I think you can tell that our advice would be to snap up that cabin--there are only 3 SZs and 6117 may be the best of the 3!

Enne,

Did you decide to go for the SZ6117? I really think that any of the SS category cabins would be great, but the SZ cabins have just a little more to love.

I've got some pictures assembled of the SZ vs the rest of the SS cabins. If you'd like I can try to post them.

I don't know who Tinknock50 is, but those are my photos on my website.

Glad you found them useful anyway.

Charles

I apologize....I should have given you proper attribution.:o

Your link title says "our room" so it probably gave the false impression that I was in that cabin and took the pictures.

Sorry:(

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a week in SZ6117 on the Oosterdam. Many thanks to Charles in Raleigh for sharing his pictures, which tell the story. That extra pie-shaped addition to the cabin created an area we called our "sunroom," where we put 2 lounge chairs and a table (we borrowed one from the verandah), sat and read, while keeping an eye out for whales. Our vigilance was rewarded, and our angled balcony vista forward and starboard gave us an almost 180 degree view of spectacular whale behaviors just north of Cabo San Lucas.

Now, if privacy on your balcony is an issue for you, you may wish to take into consideration the next comments. When enjoying the sights from our balcony, we became conversational with our neighbors in the cabin just forward from us--hard to avoid when folks from both cabins are standing at the railing. We even chatted once with a neighbor a couple of decks down. In our case everyone was respectful of others' space; just be aware that at the railing, you are not alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived