Delta vs Continental

Beth & Rob

We booked a Med cruise for 10/07. We booked Delta and they've changed their departure to 10AM. Many on the Europe board have said to make arrangements to get off the ship by 7:30 and have a taxi pre-arranged to meet us, rather than take the bus to the airport.

We got a good deal on the tickets and although they were non-refundable, they've offered to refund due to the early change.

Continental also has a flight that leaves at 11AM.

It's about $50 more PP, which is no big deal.

My question is, what's the likelihood (or everyone's experience) that they too can change their schedules.....

I think we'd be just fine even with the Delta changes, so then it boils down to service?

I've only taken Delta to Denver and Vegas, and I'm easy to please, so don't know about long flights.

any comments?

Personally, I would pay the extra $50 for Continental as you know they will be flying; who knows about Delta? I'm booked on Delta this Saturday for Jamaica and they have change my flights at least 5-6 times.....I like Delta but they are having major problems and US Air is trying for a hostile bid to buy them...jmo

I must humbly disagree with Fatfish. We live in an area that is almost totally dependent on Delta. Continental is a codeshare so we fly them as well. Delta has already announced that it will be coming out of bankruptcy this year and their strength will be in overseas flights.

It is true that there are frequent schedule changes with Delta, but we have flown on United, US AIR, Continental, American, and Northwest in the past nine months and they have all had schedule changes on our flights.

The possibility of a take over by US Air is remote and subject to government approval which will take time. I would not base my decision on that.

What I would consider is timing. If you are more comfortable with a later flight then I recommend that you consider that option. We have been to Barcelona and the ride from the port CAN be 20 minutes, but it can take much longer if you hit morning traffic. We used Angie and she was so accomodating that I would not hesitate in recommending her. There will be some congestion at the port and the airport. You are not the only passengers rushing to the airport.

Delta is in the process of upgrading their seats and hopefully by October your flight will have the more comfortable leather seating. I do not know about the accommodations on Continental overseas flights, so I can't help there. We flew Delta to Barcelona last year and the service was very good.

The Med cruise is worth all the effort you put into getting there and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I've flown both D & C (and AA, too) on those routes, in both Business and Economy, and think you can base your decision almost entirely on the schedule. The minor differences in aircraft types, food, entertainment, could all mean very little if, on your flight, there are noisy passengers, one grumpy flight attendant, a bad air-pocket, etc. There is no way to predict which flight will be late, overbooked, re-scheduled, etc. this far in advance. I'm sure frequent fliers realize just how little is predictable and even less, under our control!

The Barcelona airport is very efficient and easy to navigate (at least Terminal A), so you would probably be fine with the 10am--IF the ship, customs, etc. are on time, but would you be more comfortable for the next 9 months with the extra hour--that sounds like $50. well spent to me! The flip side to all of this is that it is at the end of the cruise--not nearly so nerve-wracking as at the beginning, IMO.

I was in Barcelona Oct.30 & 31, 2006 prior to a Nov. 1st Med/Transatlantic and really enjoyed the city--but it was still very warm. If you are staying pre-cruise, try to get a hotel room with A/C!

Happy Cruising (and flying)

Here's what we did..............copied from our Roll Call.......

I had been doing a little nosing around about the return flight back from Barcelona and had learned a couple of things that didn't sit right with me.......

~~ the ONLY flight out of Barcelona on Monday, November 5th was at 10:00 am, the absolute earliest that RCCL recommends; cutting it just a wee bit too close for me!

~~ there are NO flights out of Barcelona the following day, Tuesday!!!!!

Soooooooooooooooooo we have cancelled the Delta flights (full refund) and just booked the 10:55 am flight on Continental out of Barcelona on Monday. BTW, on the way to Barcelona we have a 5 hour layover in Newark EWR if anyone wants to meet for a toddy on Sunday, 10/21 :D we seem to have a little spare time on our hands.

The good news is that we will actually arrive in Barcelona earlier and get home earlier than originally planned! Go figure! It was a few bucks (around $100 total) more than the Delta flights, but still about $700 less than cruiseline air and worth every penny in the peace of mind department......at least until Continental starts monkeying around with their schedule (heaven forbid!) :eek:

I know I will sleep better knowing there are other options if we miss a connection, etc. :D

If you are in business class, there is a significant difference between DL and CO on the 767. DL crams 6 across in the biz cabin (with 7 across in coach), while CO has only 5 across in biz. The DL seats (while able to stretch out) are only 1/2 inch wider than those in coach. Also, DL domestic first class uses paper napkins, plastic utensils and plastic glasses -- CO has the "real stuff". The DL seats are more adjustable than the CO biz seats, but I really like having the room with CO.

In coach, CO has meals on longer domestic flights vs food for purchase and better seats, IMO.

You didn't mention your itinerary, so I can't comment on issues of routings, connecting hubs, customs facilities. But all-in-all, I would take CO, especially up front.

If you are in business class, there is a significant difference between DL and CO on the 767. DL crams 6 across in the biz cabin (with 7 across in coach), while CO has only 5 across in biz. The DL seats (while able to stretch out) are only 1/2 inch wider than those in coach. Also, DL domestic first class uses paper napkins, plastic utensils and plastic glasses -- CO has the "real stuff". The DL seats are more adjustable than the CO biz seats, but I really like having the room with CO.

In coach, CO has meals on longer domestic flights vs food for purchase and better seats, IMO.

You didn't mention your itinerary, so I can't comment on issues of routings, connecting hubs, customs facilities. But all-in-all, I would take CO, especially up front.

Just remember to keep checking your flights periodically. We booked Continental last April for our cruise in Feb. Can't tell you the # of times flights have changed. Going 3 days prior for precruise so didn't matter, but just last week they changed our flight home :eek: to 12:50 p.m. They say when flying out of San Juan do nothing before noon, so we are cutting it close. I don't mind when it is going home. Going down we have a 3 hour layover in Newark. I read somewhere lots to do there so the time will go fast!! Have a great crusie.

Thank you Flyer Talker, sunlover5 & Stitches Too ~ It was a tough decision, especially this far out, but CO seemed to have more safety nets (flight options) than DL!

We are going CAE to BCN with a 5 1/2 hr layover at EWR, which we intend to spend in the President's Club with some day passes and will arrive in BCN 2 hrs prior to the DL flight. The return has us leaving at 10:55 (where DL left at 10), again via EWR but only a 1 hr 15 minute connection. I called CO before booking to inquire on that one and was told it was a "legal connection" though seems mighty tight coming through customs, etc. .........if we make that one, we'll be home a few hours earlier than with DL; and if we miss that connection and have to take the next one, we'll be home at the same exact time as the DL flight.

We may have been okay with DL and the CO flights may end up being less desirable in the long run, but we made our decision based on the best info available right now. A DL rep told me that November will be considered "off season" and that is why the outbound flight was pulled 2 days after I booked it. Not having another flight out that day or any the following day pretty much did it for us! I didn't like that the CO flights don't have power ports, but ya can't have it all! LOL Guess I'll have to try to find another battery for my DVD player as that was keeps me from getting antsy on such long flights; wish I could sleep on them!

PS No Business class for us :(

Archived