Hair color and salt water

pazandak63

I have lived in Texas all my life, and I have had colored hair for years, If the hot Texas Sun does not ruin my color, then you dont have to worry about the salt water!!

I have been on many cruises and always snorkle. I have never had an issue with loosing color, if anything, It might brighten up from the sun, and that is OK with me.

Just make sure to wash your hair wtih a good shampoo and rinse. I also use BioSilk on my hair before and after the sun. It helps as a protectant. I love the stuff!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

Go have fun and don't worry about that hair!!!!!!:p

Thanks so much...I am leaving out in 2 weeks for a cruise and my cruising buddies told me not to waste my money or bother. But, I hate to advertise my age with the grey...I have someone fuzzy hair and it gets a bit wild in the sea and sun...will look for Bio Silk and hair clips...thanks a bunch!

Karyn

I have been coloring my hair for the last 20 or so years! and the only thing that I have heard about the salt water is its drying effects on the hair and scalp. However the Cholorine in the pool water is another story, it can be damaging to the color, sometimes turning it an unflattering shade of green:eek: best to talk to a colorist. Maby the chemicals they use today are less damaging and more milder, its worth checking out. I wouldnt wait to the last minute to color though, I had mine done the week before Christmas and my cruise is on Jan 18th. I have been told that its best to have it done well inadvance of going in the pool water...??? :confused: not sure why maby it has something to do with the level of fading or turning greenish.

hope this info helps.

Color your hair:) (asap) go in the pool, swim in the ocean and have a Wonderful time.;)

I have my hair colored as well and I have never had a problem. The sun can fade your color, so I use a leave in conditioner made by Pantene with UVA protection. I just spray it on my hair before I pull it up in a ponytail.

A pool can turn blonde hair green when the chemicals are not correct. I can't remember which one it is....too much copper maybe??? Not really sure. I know that Carnival pools are saltwater, so you don't have to worry about hair changing colors.

I also LOVE BioSilk.

Have a great time!

I have been coloring my hair for the last 20 or so years! and the only thing that I have heard about the salt water is its drying effects on the hair and scalp. However the Cholorine in the pool water is another story, it can be damaging to the color, sometimes turning it an unflattering shade of green:eek: best to talk to a colorist. Maby the chemicals they use today are less damaging and more milder, its worth checking out. I wouldnt wait to the last minute to color though, I had mine done the week before Christmas and my cruise is on Jan 18th. I have been told that its best to have it done well inadvance of going in the pool water...??? :confused: not sure why maby it has something to do with the level of fading or turning greenish.

hope this info helps.

Color your hair:) (asap) go in the pool, swim in the ocean and have a Wonderful time.;)

Same thing with the pool. Been coloring hair for longer than I can remember, and neither pool nor ocean hurts the color. My hair is blonde, and if anything the sun makes it blonder, so maybe I don't notice the effects as much as someone with darker hair would...and it's possible that this was something that occured with color chemicals from 'the old days"...:p ...but I don't think you need to worry about it...

I e-mailed my Aunt on this one today, she is a beautician has has had her own business for 30 years. This is what she said. The ocean water is as hard on your hair as chlorine water, they will both dry out your hair and scalp. Treated hair: If you are blond or have blond put in, if the chlorine level is to high the chlorine will grab your hair follicles and can turn your hair a nice green tint! :eek: Don't fret, there are shampoos that you can get from your beautician that will wash them right out.

The sun is very damaging to your hair also, especially if it is treated. If you put blond in your hair the sun can make it turn to a brassy color, then you would need to put a wash or conditioner on it to tome it down.

Go to your beautician and they should have a product that you can buy, usually mine only stocks it in the summer, but it is a spray on conditioner that you can let dry in your hair before you go in the water or in the sun.

Last, if you don't have this then she said to wet your hair first with water (not salt or chlorine water) before you get into the ocean or pool and this way your hair will not grab the salt or chlorine as much because it is already wet!

I hope this helps!

I have a pool and I have blond put in to hide the gray, I have had green hair before because I had to much chlorine in the pool! :D

It all depends on your hair, the type of color product you use and the condition of the elements. There is no one best scenario for all hair types. Just as we cannot all use the same cosmetics, sunscreens, shampoo or conditioner.

If you bleach your hair, or lighten the color with peroxide based color, you may not notice much difference. If you use a red or brown color on hair that is mostly gray, you may get some color loss. More so with chlorinated (or other chemicals) water than with salt water. Salt water is drying, so you don't want it drying in your hair, wash it or at least rinse it with clear water as soon as possible. The color loss may be so minor you don't realize it, but it's there, there will be a little less luster to your hair, you may notice that it doesn't comb out quite as well as it usually does.

Gray hair, or fine hair does not grab color as well as hair that still has pigment. Pay attention to, perhaps a woman you know who is insisting on keeping the color hair of her youth, no matter how her skin has aged. Subsequent color jobs "take" differently and the roots show within a short time, usually a couple of weeks. This type of hair may show more damage than other types of hair.

Personally, my hair does not hold onto color of any kind as it is extremely fine, so I slather on conditioner, use a sunscreen especially for hair and put it in a pony, or a clip, for the day. I'm not one who cares to ever get my hair wet in a pool or hot tub (chemicals way too damaging) nor do I care for my color to be altered by the sun. Professional hair coloring costs too much to experiment with.

I do have to say, it is probably a usage thing, too. Once in a while probably won't do much damage, but we've all seen what chlorine can do to blondes when subjected to a lot of swimming. We've all seen people with dry, unruly, damaged hair in all colors. So, I'd be far more concerned about damage to my hair than color loss.

Just like you would your skin, take care of it and protect it.

When you return home, the best conditioner you can possibly have for your hair is a great haircut. Nothing beats getting rid of the nasty dry, sun damaged, brittle ends. Although retired from the hair styling business now for 12 years and not completely current on product lines, I still believe prevention is far better than any cure.

My hairdresser put a temporary color over a permanent weave just before we left for our cruise. By the end of the first leg of a B2B, the temporary color was almost gone (which is a good thing because it was too dark for my liking), but the permanent color is still going strong!

• 2 weeks later...
I e-mailed my Aunt on this one today, she is a beautician has has had her own business for 30 years. This is what she said. The ocean water is as hard on your hair as chlorine water, they will both dry out your hair and scalp. Treated hair: If you are blond or have blond put in, if the chlorine level is to high the chlorine will grab your hair follicles and can turn your hair a nice green tint! :eek: I have a pool and I have blond put in to hide the gray, I have had green hair before because I had to much chlorine in the pool! :D
Well the copper in the chlorine! We don't put copper in unless it is in the chlorine tablets or liquid! ;)

To clear up a misconception - chlorine is not the cause of green hair. It is out of balance water and copper in the water that causes the green color. High levels of chlorine cause acidic water which causes the copper to appear. I work for a pool chlorine manufacturing company - therefore the "expert" opinion. Keep a pool in balance and use the proper metal removers and you won't have green hair. Copper can come from just about anywhere but typically isn't in the chlorine. Just a little friendly advice:)

Archived