Alaska in 2008 - what's the best month? will we like it?

WestchesterCruiseFan

I know the 2008 schedules aren't fully out yet but, we're beginning to figure out where we want to go in 2008. We thinking of going to Northern Europe in late June/early July with another couple but, if that falls through, we're giving Alaska some thought, so here are my Alaska questions:

1) Our TA tells us that Princess is one of the best lines for Alaska but, we like port intensive. Which route would you recommend for us?

2) What's the best month to visit Alaska? We know rain is always a very real possibility but would love to know if there is a month that has traditionally experienced less rain for example, June seems to be "dryer" than July

3) We're very worried about being bored. As I said, we prefer port intensive and one of the reasons we haven't pursued Alaska prior to now is the fear of boredom. However, we've been done Bermuda, the Caribbean, New England/Canada, and Europe and would like to experience something different. And, while we absolutely appreciate wide open spaces, wildlife and nature...is 7 days too much for people who don't fly fish or want to strain our eyes trying to locate a mountain goat on top of a hill?

If anyone has Alaska Patters to share, it would be really appreciated!

Sorry if I seem cynical, I don't mean to be...I'd just rather receive honest answers and be honest with you about what we enjoy...

Thanks for your help and input!

We have gone twice to Alaska in May, going again this year same month, it can be cold and a little rainy, cloudy too. You won't get to see any bears yet(too early), will see whales, sea otters, seals, orcas. Lots to do on the port stops if you want to see nature, sometimes up close. You might chose a sea/land tour so you can get out and see things. We have been on an 10 day sea/land cruise and this year we are taking a 13 land/sea cruise. I lived for awhile in the New England are but have no desire to go back.:cool:

We did a 5-day tour then 7-day cruise on Coral Princess in early July of '04. It was a good time of year to go. No, we didn't see tons of wildlife, but it was an unusually hot summer that year. (They hadn't had rain in Ketchikan for 2 weeks- that's a rainforest area.) But we chose that time because of the chances for good weather. As mentioned by others, that's always a crapshoot.

Be prepared for the weather and you'll have a great time!

My wife and I took a 13 nite cruise/tour and have NOT forgotten 1 hr. of it. It truely is the nickname: "The Last Frontier". I would take AK anyday over the poverty ridden Caribbean.There's so much nature and beautiful landscape to view and appreciate. There's more adventure to be had than u can believe. Take a helicopter to a glacier and stroll around, ride a dog sled team in the mountains, ride a paddle-wheeler in a fast current river, take a single engine float-plane ride to Admiralty Is and walk around with your guide on this uninhabited is.except for bald eagles, salmon streams (with freshly 1/2 eaten salmon on the banks) deer and grizzles.

I could go on and on but I just came home from work and dinner is ready.

GO FOR IT, I guarantee you'll rave about it for a long, long time.

CIAO,

We are going back to Alaska in August for our SEVENTH cruise there -- you can tell we like it!! Check out our website at the link below for reviews of several of them.

Most Alaska cruises have three ports, plus at least one scenic day at the glaciers. I think you will find the glacier days at least as interesting as a port day! I don't think you will be bored.

As far as months, we have been there practically every month of the summer on different cruises and frankly, the weather is just plain chancy! You can get dull rainy days in the middle of the season, and beautiful sunny days early or late in the season. It really doesn't make much difference -- Alaska is beautiful in all weathers, and almost all port activities go on rain or shine.

Go for it -- you will love it!

..........so here are my Alaska questions:

1) Our TA tells us that Princess is one of the best lines for Alaska but, we like port intensive. Which route would you recommend for us?

I would recommend anyone that does Glacier Bay

2) What's the best month to visit Alaska? We know rain is always a very real possibility but would love to know if there is a month that has traditionally experienced less rain for example, June seems to be "dryer" than July

Best month.... for weather would be Jun / Jul

3) We're very worried about being bored. As I said, we prefer port intensive and one of the reasons we haven't pursued Alaska prior to now is the fear of boredom. However, we've been done Bermuda, the Caribbean, New England/Canada, and Europe and would like to experience something different. And, while we absolutely appreciate wide open spaces, wildlife and nature...is 7 days too much for people who don't fly fish or want to strain our eyes trying to locate a mountain goat on top of a hill?.....

Who fly fishes.....:confused: Glaciers are easier to spot than mountain goats. There is plenty to see. If you enjoyed your New England / Canada then you should enjoy Alaska. The inside passage is beautiful. Lots of interesting tours (whale watching / helicopter / airplane flights to glaciers). If you do Sitka be sure to see the Raptor Center (you will see eagles and other raptors close up).

We have catching up on other parts of the world but will definitely get back to Alaska soon. (maybe this year) :D

We did an Alaskan cruise/tour from August 1st to the 14th in 05. Weather was great with just a little rain on the land portion. Seen lots of wildlife, Moose, Grizzlies in Denali and Humpbacks and Orcas on the inside passage. Lots of salmon jumping out of the water in Ketichan. Hubbard Glacier was spectacular along with the great views of Mt McKinley. Remember there is no guarantee on weather so I considered us lucky to have had such great weather.

We visited Alaska ONCE, back in the early 90's. Cruise/Tour in August and had a lot of rain on that one.

OK, I wll be the one that posts about bordom in Alaska. I enjoyed it, but the DH was totally bored to tears. He felt that each port was just like the one previously with very little difference. Maybe two weeks (one week land and one week cruise) was a bit long for him without a beach to visit or an ocean to swim in.

The cruise/tour was totally his idea, he had always wanted to visit Alaska. But after the first few days, he was ready to head home. Something that has never happened before or since on a cruise. His famous line was once you have seen one glacier, you have seen them all. We even took the helicopter over and walked around for an hour on a glacier, but that didn't even help. He just didn't like the idea of each port offering the same type of excursions. He loved Salmon at the time, but each tour also offered a salmon lunch, and to this day, he won't touch the stuff after having it served so many times in a row. We also saw very little wildlife on either the cruise or tour, which was very disappointing to him.

Me, yes, I would probably go back someday, but it would have to be alone as he did not enjoy it whatsoever.

We went 3rd week of May. Cheaper earlier in the season. Weather was mild, all we needed was windbreaker jackets ,except when at the glacier. At glacier they provide warmer coats.

I think Alaska is "more real" when cool than when the temp is in the 80s in the summer.

Jerry Whitfield

We are going back for the second time. There are few people who come back from Alaska who aren't changed by the experience. There is something about the place that seeps into the soul. It is stunningly beautiful.

While in port, Alaska offers some of the best once in a lifetime type of excursions. It's not cheap, however, but you can't take it with you. If you are looking at itineraries, don't discard one just because you only see 3 or 4 ports listed. A day at sea is different than in the Caribbean. Glacier Bay is absolute must see.

Check out the Coral Princess. It offers long days in port as well as Glacier Bay and College Fjord. It a great ship and the prices are decent. Last we sailed in June on the summer solstice. It was cool to walk around Anchorage at 4am and it's light out.

I've been on two cruises to Alaska, one to the Mexican Riviera, 2 to the Caribbean and Alaska is easily my favorite. The first time I went, I came THIS CLOSE to extending my cruise a second week!

I recommend going so that you are in the northernmost port (or near it) on the first day of summer. There's something really special about a day with no real night!

The scenery is the most spectacular ever. My husband is a real outdoorsman, so he especially enjoyed the trip. Watching a glacier "calve" is fabulous. Seeing mountains that dip into the sea -- no beaches here! -- was more interesting and spectacular than I would have believed.

On a one-week cruise, it seems like you either start in the south and go north, or start in the north and go south. I prefer to start in the north and go south. If you can, try to see if there's a train from Anchorage (where you'll likely fly into) to your starting point -- much, much more fun and interesting than a bus and you get to go where there are no roads!

Go to Alaska -- there's nothing like it. Unless you're a real beach person, this will be the best cruise ever.

Like ToTo2Kansas said some people find boredom in Alaska, some love it. You know different strokes for different folks. I traveled to Alaska several times for work, yes people really have to go there for work sometimes. First time was great, but the weather can really fool you. Just be ready, it will be fine. If you like nature, seeing whales, this is your place. It is beautiful and sometimes hard to belief. If you every get to see the Northern Lights you will understand what I mean. If you have any arthritis the wet/cold sometimes is a pain. But just be ready. Cruise ships are the best for seeing Alaska, and if you like nature take one of the Cruisetours if you have time. I like Alaska but you can see from my handle I am a Maui type of guy....Beaches in Alaska are just a little too cold...:cool:

...and have NOT forgotten 1 hr. of it. It truely is the nickname: "The Last Frontier". I would take AK anyday over the poverty ridden Caribbean.There's so much nature and beautiful landscape to view and appreciate. There's more adventure to be had than u can believe. Take a helicopter to a glacier and stroll around, ride a dog sled team in the mountains, ride a paddle-wheeler in a fast current river, take a single engine float-plane ride to Admiralty Is and walk around with your guide on this uninhabited is.except for bald eagles, salmon streams (with freshly 1/2 eaten salmon on the banks) deer and grizzles.

I could go on and on but I just came home from work and dinner is ready.

GO FOR IT, I guarantee you'll rave about it for a long, long time.

Ditto!!!!

SPECTACULAR does not do it justice!

We have been twice in early August and had two totally different experiences. I am a warm weather person, but I agreed to go for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2002. It was not too rainy, very cold on deck in Glacier Bay and College Fiord - but I wore my wool coat, gloves & hat and I was fine. The second trip in 2005 was at the exact same time of year - but they were having a heat wave. It was 90 degrees the day we were in Juneau.

Both trips were awesome. The colors, scenery & our pictures of Alaska turned out very different - the first trip being more silvery, cold & gray and the second trip being more vibrant, sunny and blue. Still, both trips were beautiful. Check out our Alaska trip pictures on my webshots link below.

On our second trip we spent a few days on the Kenai Penisula and loved it. We went rafting down the Kenai River, visited the Princess Kenai Lodge and rode the Alaska Railroad - which I would definitely do again.

No matter what you decide, the weather is somewhat unpredictable and you have to be prepared for wet or dry and warm or cold. I think it's different each year...

Regardless of how the weather ends up being - the scenery is spectacular and we loved it. Everything is so big and open and amazing. I really can't see how anyone would not enjoy it.

We did Alaska in july cause we were told it was the warmest time. Well it was 50's and rainy. Started in Vancover and did the inside passage. I think everyone should go at least once. Make sure you have a balcony the glacier helicopter was unforgetable!! My only complaint(because I am a sun-beach bunny) is you can't utilize the outside of the ship if weather is bad but the scenery and whales make up for it.

Happy cruizing

I went to Alaska in June in the early 90s and it was almost hot. In Skagway, into the upper 80's (and I did not take shorts). Then went up in late July, rained the entire trip. Only real cold time was next to Hubbard Glacier. That cold air comes off the glacier and you do get cold.

Several wonderful shore excursions up in Alaska from the helicopter flight to the surface of a glacier (cannot do that in the Caribbean) to raft trips and kayaking and some deep into the woods nature hikes. Skagway and its history with the gold rush is different from Russian influenced Sitka (don't miss the church in the center of town), just as Ketchikan with its totems is different from Juneau. The day of cruising the inside passage is not like anything you have ever done. Slow cruising and Princess does it right by having a naturalist aboard, who will talk about what you are seeing and offer some information that you cannot get from guide books.

We enjoyed the longer cruise out of San Francisco, but you probably need to do the one-way out of Vancouver or Whittier/Anchorage. It is a huge state with lots to see and, if you look for it, lots to do.

Jim

I went to Alaska in June in the early 90s and it was almost hot. In Skagway, into the upper 80's (and I did not take shorts). Then went up in late July, rained the entire trip. Only real cold time was next to Hubbard Glacier. That cold air comes off the glacier and you do get cold.

Several wonderful shore excursions up in Alaska from the helicopter flight to the surface of a glacier (cannot do that in the Caribbean) to raft trips and kayaking and some deep into the woods nature hikes. Skagway and its history with the gold rush is different from Russian influenced Sitka (don't miss the church in the center of town), just as Ketchikan with its totems is different from Juneau. The day of cruising the inside passage is not like anything you have ever done. Slow cruising and Princess does it right by having a naturalist aboard, who will talk about what you are seeing and offer some information that you cannot get from guide books.

We enjoyed the longer cruise out of San Francisco, but you probably need to do the one-way out of Vancouver or Whittier/Anchorage. It is a huge state with lots to see and, if you look for it, lots to do.

Jim

Just had to say - hello from Champaign!

I'm really looking forward to our first cruise to Alaska in June on the Coral Princess, followed by a 9-day land trip via rental car. I've been reading about Alaska and planning this trip since the summer of 2005, so I'll be ready for it. :)

Archived