Has anyone had wine/liquor leak in luggage?

showe0208

I would like to take some wine with me on my Cruise in March, but I just keep picturing all my clothes in a shade of Merlot.:confused: Any packing suggestions. I would rather not bring a box wine. But I will if I have to!

Bury it deep in clothing, you can also bubble wrap it as well, you can also safety bag in a trash bag just in case...

My theory is that the wine bottle is very thick glass and as long as the it is still corked, it is sealed. The only time I have had wine leak through the cork is when the bottle was exposed to extreme heat.

I usually wrap it in bubble wrap and then put it into a large ziplock bag and have not had a problem, even traveling overseas.

My theory is that the wine bottle is very thick glass and as long as the it is still corked, it is sealed.

This doesn't do you any good when the longshoremen treat your bag like a football and break a 1.5 liter bottle of white zin all over your clean clothes. :mad:

I had the bottle in a big ziploc bag, but the bag did no good when the broken glass pierced the bag and wine went everywhere. Thankfully, washing the clothes with a scoop of Oxy Clean had them looking good as new again; unfortunately, the suitcase stunk and had to be thrown out.

What I'm planning on doing next week (:D) is wrapping in bubble wrap, one bottle per ziploc bag (not 2), and make sure there are plenty of clothes between them. Also, invest in a tub of Oxy Clean. It was about 4 hours from the time I discovered the mess until I got the clothes washed, and it all came out.

Perhaps people who fly to the port may not be able to do this, but this is what I do:

I always bring beer, wine and soda with me. Usually 2 twelve packs of soda, 3 bottles of wine, and 12 beer bottles.

I bubblewrap all of this and put it into one suitcase (no clothing at all in that suitcase).

Then I pack 3 or 4 other suitcases and drive to the port. I unload all suitcases except my carry-on (which contains no liquid), and about 6 hours later it is all delivered to my room. Remember, one of my suitcases that is delivered to my room contains only bubblewrapped liquid and no clothes. This way, even if one of the bottled breaks, it only damages the suitcase and whatever other suitcases, carpet it leaks onto. My clothes cannot ever be damaged.

As far, 10 years and I have never had any bottles break.

Bottles can... and do... break. Happened to my father twice (didn't learn the first time... :rolleyes: ).

And you can be sure that any suitcase around the one that has a broken bottle in it will be getting an unwanted mess too. Do everyone a favor, including yourself... only pack plastic in your luggage.

Perhaps people who fly to the port may not be able to do this, but this is what I do:

Remember, one of my suitcases that is delivered to my room contains only bubblewrapped liquid and no clothes. This way, even if one of the bottled breaks, it only damages the suitcase and whatever other suitcases, carpet it leaks onto.

Great attitude... so you are more than happy to screw everyone else if your bottle breaks... :mad:

Last time I went to the liquor store I noticed SEVERAL types of wines now being offered in 'tetra pak' containers, in both 500 ml and 1 litre sizes! Probably easy to pack w/less chance of breakage? I also found for my last cruise single serving wine bottles - plastic w/screw top - california and pretty good. Very light, easy to pack and consume:cool: (e.g. like these in a four-pak!) http://www.beringer.com/beringer/catalog/view_product.jsp?product_id=1436&cat_id=1041

(I did however have a bottle of Downy wrinkle release open and leak a bit - despite being in a ziplock bag - okay at least everything smelled pretty and wasn't wrinkled - ha ha ha:D )

Froufie

Not to be crass about a good bottle of wine, but have you considered transferring the goods into a Nalgene bottle? They're damn near bullet and break proof. Then put it in not one, but two large ziplock bags. I'm not sure if switching containers would alter the wine's taste,or not. It deffinately wouldn't be the same as a freshly corked bottle. I've used Nalgene with hard stuff, and the lexan plastic never changed the taste.:rolleyes:

"Smuggled" Bloody Mary mix and small bottles of vodka on our first cruise (honeymoon and looking to save money). Thought we had wrapped the bottles very well. You know what happened ! Brought a few new outfits for my wife as she refused to wear a few white items that had stained very nicely thank you. Remember the porters are lugging hundreds (thousands) of pieces of luggage. Throwing them and stacking them hard. If you can’t carry it on, keep it off.

Why risk it? :confused: You are allowed to carry some wine on...

Chris,

We have our fav we can't get at ports, now we have to fly with it in checked if we want it, but it has become tradition... frickin' terrorists, they have soooo inconvenienced me!

has anyone had any problems with bringing champagne in your checked bag on the airplane? Could the pressure accidentally pop the cork? I am planning on bringing A bottle of Dom and a bottle of Veuve and would not want them to be ruined ono the plane.

I will carry them on when I get to the ship

has anyone had any problems with bringing champagne in your checked bag on the airplane? Could the pressure accidentally pop the cork? I am planning on bringing A bottle of Dom and a bottle of Veuve and would not want them to be ruined ono the plane.

I will carry them on when I get to the ship

I wouldn't trust it... but that's me... you might want to check the airlines page or call them.

We bought a bottle of rum in Jamaica last year. It was in a plastic bottle so we just put it in our suitcase thinking it would be no problem. We put our luggage outside our room the night before debarkation. When we reached the airport the next day our suitcase was to heavy so we opened it to try and move some stuff around and realised the bottle had somehow got a hole in it and the suitcase was full of rum. After this experience we decided that next time we would carry anything we bought on the cruise in our carryon luggage. Now with the new rules about carring liquids onto an airplane will be be able to do this? What have others done with alcohol they have bought on the cruise.

On our cruise last week, this is what we did.

I double wrapped each bottle of wine in bubble wrap. Then I stuck it in a giant ziplock bag, then put it inside another ziplock bag. Then I wrapped it in a beach towel! 4 bottles of wine took up 1/2 a large suitcase! The rest of the suitcase had bottled water and diet pepsi (also placed in ziplock bags).

It arrived at our cabin in perfect condition. Our neighbors, however, were not so lucky. We saw them in the hallway yelling at their cabin steward (why they thought it was his fault, I'll never understand). They had their alcohol in a box. Yes, a box, no packaging at all! :rolleyes:

We bought a bottle of rum in Jamaica last year. It was in a plastic bottle so we just put it in our suitcase thinking it would be no problem. We put our luggage outside our room the night before debarkation. When we reached the airport the next day our suitcase was to heavy so we opened it to try and move some stuff around and realised the bottle had somehow got a hole in it and the suitcase was full of rum. After this experience we decided that next time we would carry anything we bought on the cruise in our carryon luggage. Now with the new rules about carring liquids onto an airplane will be be able to do this? What have others done with alcohol they have bought on the cruise.

NOOOoooo...you cannot take anything liquid with you as a carry on. Once you get to security they tell you this. Not even water. Once you pass through security you can now buy things and take them on the plane but NOTHING liquid over 3oz that you claim in your 1 quart baggie is allowed on in your carry on, period. And yes they do stick to this policy.

Great attitude... so you are more than happy to screw everyone else if your bottle breaks... :mad:

Although I said that is what I do, I guess I better give a few more details. I also place the bubble wrapped bottles inside either a zip lock or a trashbag and knot it. Sometimes double ziplock or double trashbag.

THAT WAY, even if something breaks, it is contained and nothing leaks. I assumed that most people are not as anal as me, so I left that part out and focused on the fact that their own clothes would not be stained because they wouldn't be in the same suitcase.

Nevertheless, I think in hindsight that this detail is helpful. Thanks for bringing it out, and hopefully those who smuggle will learn how to protect their stash from breakage, but even if it breaks, how to prevent it from ruining anything.

Archived