wine recommendations

sunsetme

would like some moderately priced recommendations for wine--both red and white. we will be embarking in Auckland. They are dumping so much Australia wine in Calif now--very reasonable. I have been trying some but have yet to find something I really like.

NZ is not known for their red wines, so I'd stay away from them. They are known for their white wines. I can't remember any in particular that I liked since I'm more of a red wine drinker.

Are you going to Australia? If so, you should fine some great reds there. I have many of the Barossa Valley that I love...we shipped home a case from Saltram Wineries.

If you have the opportunity try a sparkling shiraz, especially if you can find a "black" one. They're hard to find and it's not a taste for everyone, but we went nuts over them.

NZ is not known for their red wines, so I'd stay away from them. They are known for their white wines. I can't remember any in particular that I liked since I'm more of a red wine drinker.

Are you going to Australia? If so, you should fine some great reds there. I have many of the Barossa Valley that I love...we shipped home a case from Saltram Wineries.

If you have the opportunity try a sparkling shiraz, especially if you can find a "black" one. They're hard to find and it's not a taste for everyone, but we went nuts over them.

Rubbish, i am a red wine drinker and while we do buy Aussie wines there are also some great NZ reds. Try Villa Maria, Mills Reef, Morton Estate, Montana for some great reds [Cab-Sav, Shiraz especially] Regards Ian [Tauranga] wherre we have 3 great wineries all within 45 minutes of the ships port of call, great way to spend the day.

NZ produces the best Sauvignon Blanc in the world... a hard thing to admit by an Aussie.. although some of our Margaret River stuff is almost as good !

I've been enticed by McGuigans Black label red of late ....especially in the 1 litre bottles that sells for less than A$10....

You cant go past the established Aust brands...absolututely top class and very reasonably priced.

Yes there has been a glut in Aust wines recently so top class wine is available at Very reasonable prices.

cheers

Yes, okay NZ does produce some wonderful Pinot Noirs. I overlooked that one.

However, that still doesn't change my opinion that NZ is known for their whites - especially Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay.

I'm not saying that if you're visiting NZ there isn't a decent red to drink. However, if you're traveling from the US to NZ and Oz, I still stand by my opinion that you should buy your reds in Oz and your whites in NZ.....and if you're a Pinot Noir lover, buy some in NZ as that is an exception.

The true test, of course, is tasting by the OP, which is always an enjoyable task!

Archived