New York Questions

nancyv58

We arrive at JFK on March 24 at 9:24 a.m. and our ship NCL Spirit departs at 4:00 P.M. Is there anything worth doing that day before we board? I think I have read that you can start boarding at noon. On the return end we depart JFK at 6:30 p.m. any suggestions for that day? Again I have heard debarkation starts about 9 or 10 in the morning. I assume we will be tking a taxi both ways to and from the airport. WTC, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square???? Or all take too much time? Thanks for your help.

We arrive at JFK on March 24 at 9:24 a.m. and our ship NCL Spirit departs at 4:00 P.M. Is there anything worth doing that day before we board? I think I have read that you can start boarding at noon. On the return end we depart JFK at 6:30 p.m. any suggestions for that day? Again I have heard debarkation starts about 9 or 10 in the morning. I assume we will be tking a taxi both ways to and from the airport. WTC, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square???? Or all take too much time? Thanks for your help.

If your flight arrives at 9:24am, you probably won't be out of the airport before 10:30 or 11:00 then it's an hour drive to Manhattan. Don't think you would have enough time on arrival day to do anymore than just drive by things. The taxi driver might point out the Empire State Building. We arrived at night, so it was lit up real pretty. On your debarkation day, you might have a little more time to see Times Square and WTC. Statue of Liberty takes about 5 hours from the time you buy your ticket, wait for the boat, take the boat ride, get off on the island, look around, wait for the boat, get back on and ride back to NYC.

That's why I planned two days in NYC prior to our New England/Canada cruise, so I could do some sightseeing. I'd never been to NYC before and thought as long as the cruise was leaving from there I wanted to see some of the sights. I'm so glad I did. We didn't get to do a Broadway Show, it just didn't work out, but we went to Liberty Island, Ellis Island, had cheesecake at Lindy's, went to Tavern on the Green in Central Park and saw the memorial to John Lennon, walked all around Times Square saw Tiffany's, Saks, Cathedral, and Broadway. We were so exhausted from walking, took a ped-cab (what a ride) with all the traffic. Bought a 2 day sightseeing bus ticket and used that bus both days.

Have a great trip! New York is quite a city, and quite expensive. I can honestly say NYC has been the most expensive city I have ever visited.

We stayed over in Manhattan early Oct at the end of our Canada/New England. We transferred from our hotel close to Penn to JFK using the LRT and Air Train. Its an extremely easy, quick and clean transfer. Heres a link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTrain_JFK

We only paid $9 (inc tip) for our taxi from the cruise terminal in Manhattan to our hotel.

As the airtrain connects to each terminal at JFK and to the LRT into Penn this would be an alternative for you to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in any help you can give me about the airtrain, etc.

We are dropping our dog off in Baltimore and trying to figure out if we should fly, take a train or bus. I know parking is crazy in NYC, at least that is what I have heard. We are planning on going three days prior to cruise and want to make the most of it, and of course, the cheapest way possible.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello!!

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn 9/13 New England/Canada cruise. As it happens, we have similar flight times in/out of New York and staying an additional day is not an option. I have looked at a couple of bus tours of New York highlights, but both companies say that they do not have the room for luggage. Anyone have any thoughts on what we could do with our 2 bags? I had read somewhere that someone suggested paying a bellman in Times Square to hold the bags and say that you are checking in later. This, frankly, makes me a little nervous.

Thanks for any help! Beth

• 3 months later...

Don't do the bellman in Times Square. Nobody will hold it for you if you can't show them a reservation. All those hotels are on lockdown because of people trying to come in off the street to use bathrooms, look around, etc. Plus 9/11 security is now very tight. The person that suggested that isn't aware of security down there.

Check to see if your ship has any NYC excursions. That might be a better way for luggage holding.

Nearest airport & lowest out of the Big 3 is Newark, NJ. Right across the river. I use to watch airplanes take off/land from the office window down in Wall Street. My office building overlooked the Pit.

The 3 airports, Newark, LaGuardia & Kennedy (now Liberty) are all within 15 miles of each other. Makes airspace just a bit tight....

We had a day in NY last October after our N.England cruise and could find nowhere to leave our bags because of security issues since 9/11.

If you are able to find anywhere to leave them then I would definintely go to the top of the Rockerfeller centre where you have fantastic views of the Empire state, central park and even the Statue of Liberty. It is breathtaking! I'd then drag your other half to Tiffany!!:)

Hello!!

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn 9/13 New England/Canada cruise. As it happens, we have similar flight times in/out of New York and staying an additional day is not an option. I have looked at a couple of bus tours of New York highlights, but both companies say that they do not have the room for luggage. Anyone have any thoughts on what we could do with our 2 bags? I had read somewhere that someone suggested paying a bellman in Times Square to hold the bags and say that you are checking in later. This, frankly, makes me a little nervous.

Thanks for any help! Beth

Hi, Beth! Are you on the Roll Call for the Dawn 9/13? We are that cruise too!

Call me crazy, but I would go straight to the ship with the luggage, board early (you shouldn't have to wait long, by the time you claim you luggage at the airport and get to the pier) and RELAX! Maybe you could arrange something on the ship for touring NYC after deborading on 9/23, that would include a baggage check for you....

Hi C Breeze!!!

Yes, I posted on the roll call awhile ago. Since my last post on this thread, we have changed our return flight to Des Moines to 1:30PM. This doesn't leave time for any tours, so my hope is that our little taste of New York will make my husband desire to return for some in depth exploring.

We are getting so excited for Sept 13 to come. We are having trouble figuring out what we want to do in Sydney and Corner Brook, but have an idea of what we want to do everywhere else. The only shore excursion we plan on booking is whale watching in Bar Harbour.

Beth

Hi C Breeze!!!

Yes, I posted on the roll call awhile ago. Since my last post on this thread, we have changed our return flight to Des Moines to 1:30PM. This doesn't leave time for any tours, so my hope is that our little taste of New York will make my husband desire to return for some in depth exploring.

We are getting so excited for Sept 13 to come. We are having trouble figuring out what we want to do in Sydney and Corner Brook, but have an idea of what we want to do everywhere else. The only shore excursion we plan on booking is whale watching in Bar Harbour.

Beth

Hi, Beth! We are also getting excited about the upcoming cruise. I have picked out shore excursions for Corner Brook and Sydney, and I am still looking at Boston, Quebec and Halifax.... decisions, decision... I would like to do the whale watch in Bar Harbour, but my husband gets sea sick quite easily on small vessels, so we may just walk around the town there and get some wild blueberry or lobster ice cream!!

• 4 weeks later...
We stayed over in Manhattan early Oct at the end of our Canada/New England. We transferred from our hotel close to Penn to JFK using the LRT and Air Train. Its an extremely easy, quick and clean transfer. Heres a link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTrain_JFK

We only paid $9 (inc tip) for our taxi from the cruise terminal in Manhattan to our hotel.

As the airtrain connects to each terminal at JFK and to the LRT into Penn this would be an alternative for you to consider.

Here is the link to the Air Train site. http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

The Air Train is a convenient way to get from JFK to Jamaica Station. From Jamaica take the LIRR into Penn Station. As an FYI, Jamaica Station holds the distinction of being the busiest through rail station in the U.S.

Is it a hassle to transfer luggage from each mode of transportation using the airtrain from JFK? Sounds like it might be better to do the shuttle for about $20 more...is this true?

Also, in answer to the what to do with the luggage question while in NY, I think the best thing to do is go to the pier and drop off the luggage --- you don't have to check in at this point. Just have one of the porters take your luggage....they usually there quite early. You can always check in after your touring. We recently left on a cruise out of San Francisco and the boat wasn't even there yet, but the porters were out there to take our luggage. We returned a rental car and went to pier 39 next door.

The other option is to actually book a room in one of the cheaper areas like in New Jersey...then have them hold your luggage. You have paid for the room (for your luggage) but might be worth it if it means the difference between seeing the area or not seeing the area. Right? Maybe you can get something on Priceline for cheap. May not be worth the hassle...just depends on how badly you would like to see the City.

Archived