San Juan Taxi Questions!

soccerstar1288

My family of 6 is leaving on March 31 on the Crown Princess. I have booked princess transfers and now i thnk its a big waste. I want to get to the port faster and i dont feel like waiting fo the bus to fill up so...

are there taxi vans there we could use?

how much does a taxi to the port cost?

any info on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

-Joe

From gotopuertorico.com

Fixed rates - Tourist zones:

Airport / Isla Verde - $10.00

Airport / Condado / Miramar - $14.00

Airport / Pier Area in Old San Juan - $19.00

Piers / Old San Juan - $7.00

Piers / Condado / Miramar - $12.00

Piers / Isla Verde - $19.00

Piers / Plaza Las Américas Shopping Mall - $14.00

Piers / Plaza Carolina Shopping Mall - $24.00

Piers 1, 4, 6 & Navy Frontier / El Morro - $6.00

Panamerican Piers / El Morro - $10.00

These rates are for standard taxis, you would probably need two for your party with luggage, but its priced per taxi, not per person, so is far cheaper and timelier to use the taxis.

We were told that prices were for up to 5 persons so as stated you will probably need two. Luggage is extra. Total cost for two taxis (and yes there are some vans that may be able to accomodate your entire group but most vans would be too small) including luggage and tip would be about $60 ($30 per van/taxi). Still much cheaper than transfers and a lot more convenient. Just outside the baggage claim area you will find a line (if you use a porter they will often be able to get you to the front of that line) where you will tell the taxi rep where you want to go. You will be given a slip, a taxi will be hailed for you and away you go. Just pay the amount on the slip plus tip. From the time we claimed our luggage (make sure you have your baggage claim tickets available as they will be checked) to the time we arrived at the ship was about 25 minutes!

There are only two of us and so we generally take the transfer. It used to be (not sure how it is now) that we did not have to claim our luggage in San Juan, that it was picked up and transferred to the ship by cruise personnel. I worried that they might miss one, but they never did. With lots of people arriving at the airport on a regular basis on Saturdays and Sundays, it does not take long to fill up a bus to get you to the pier. Of course, the actual travel time bus vs. taxi is the same.

Jim

Archived