White pass-yukon

candlelady

On a combo bus/rail trip, does it really matter if you take the train going or coming back? My husband doesn't want to miss the "history" of the train but we also want to go farther than the round-trip that the train offers.

The trip "flows" better if you take the train up the hill - the narration makes more sense when you're following thr route of the Klondike gold stampeders rather than reversing it. I like northbound cruises for the same reason.

Murray

The trip "flows" better if you take the train up the hill - the narration makes more sense when you're following thr route of the Klondike gold stampeders rather than reversing it. I like northbound cruises for the same reason.

Murray

As much as I would prefer to do the train to Fraser and the bus back, I chose Chilkoot's latest (1:00) excursion time with bus first in order to have time to see The Days of '98 show at 10:30 a.m. I'll have to hope that they do a good job of explaining the history of the gold stampeders on the bus. But we are on a northbound cruise! :)

On a combo bus/rail trip, does it really matter if you take the train going or coming back? My husband doesn't want to miss the "history" of the train but we also want to go farther than the round-trip that the train offers.

We did the "Ultimate" excursion with the bus trip up to Carcross etc and the train ride back.

Our bus driver was excellent! He told us a lot of the history, stopped for pictures, and even stopped in the road for a good 20 minutes so we could watch a mama bear!

The train ride back down was anticlimactic. There was no history at all. It was definitely pretty, though. If I were going to do it again, I would reverse it and do the train first.

Just my $.02

Linda

We did the "Ultimate" excursion with the bus trip up to Carcross etc and the train ride back.

Our bus driver was excellent! He told us a lot of the history, stopped for pictures, and even stopped in the road for a good 20 minutes so we could watch a mama bear!

The train ride back down was anticlimactic. There was no history at all. It was definitely pretty, though. If I were going to do it again, I would reverse it and do the train first.

Just my $.02

Linda

Did you board the train in Fraser for the return to Skagway? Was there no narration, or just no "history"? Maybe they figure everyone gets the "history" lecture on the bus ride north, so it isn't repeated. If there's no narration whatsoever on the train from Fraser to Skagway, then I might change our excursion to one with the train first that leaves an hour earlier. However, I would really like to see "The Days of '98" show without having to rush back to the ship for an excursion.

on the train way back there is little if no narration, sometimes just a little reminder that they are coming up on a photo op. on the way up it almost constant narration. on the way down they come around with their sale items..and answer questions.

on the train way back there is little if no narration, sometimes just a little reminder that they are coming up on a photo op. on the way up it almost constant narration. on the way down they come around with their sale items..and answer questions.

You were on the roundtrip train. The OP is referring to the one-way train from Fraser, and that's what we'll be on, too. Since people travel only one-way by train on that excursion, surely there would be some narration going back to Skagway.

Nancy, I chuckle when I read your messages because you sound just like me, obbsessing over the details! I have finally booked my excursions but now I am second guessing myself. I went back and forth over what time to schedule the helicopter trip in Juneau (with Coastal) and finally just made myself book it. However, I know that I will probably change the time at least once more before May. I know I should just take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that I am as ready as I will ever be but I know that I will be "tweaking" things until I get on board in May! Cindy

Nancy, I chuckle when I read your messages because you sound just like me, obbsessing over the details! I have finally booked my excursions but now I am second guessing myself. I went back and forth over what time to schedule the helicopter trip in Juneau (with Coastal) and finally just made myself book it. However, I know that I will probably change the time at least once more before May. I know I should just take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that I am as ready as I will ever be but I know that I will be "tweaking" things until I get on board in May! Cindy

Yes - if there's one thing I do really well - it's obsess over details! :D

Over all there has always been far more narration going up the pass, vs the return, including the one ways. I have a friend who worked there a few years ago. The scenery however, I think is more spectacular going down, and it is different in each direction. Most important- with a one way especially, get the left side of the train leaving Skagway and the right side leaving White Pass/Fraiser.

Over all there has always been far more narration going up the pass, vs the return, including the one ways. I have a friend who worked there a few years ago. The scenery however, I think is more spectacular going down, and it is different in each direction. Most important- with a one way especially, get the left side of the train leaving Skagway and the right side leaving White Pass/Fraiser.

Thanks, BQ - "more spectacular going down" is good! I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks everyone for your imput. We're probably going to go with the one the cruiseline offers because of the departure time and it only offers bus up and train down but we'll be sure to sit on the left side! Thanks again.

According to BQ, for the train down - you want the RIGHT side.

Did you board the train in Fraser for the return to Skagway? Was there no narration, or just no "history"? Maybe they figure everyone gets the "history" lecture on the bus ride north, so it isn't repeated. If there's no narration whatsoever on the train from Fraser to Skagway, then I might change our excursion to one with the train first that leaves an hour earlier. However, I would really like to see "The Days of '98" show without having to rush back to the ship for an excursion.

Yes, boarded in Fraser. No, little to no narration. They told us when we made a stop to pick up some campers who were coming down, said it was a brief stop and please don't get off the train. Then told us when we were getting in to Skagway. Other than that, nothing. But yeah, breathtaking scenery on the right side of the train. We got that part right thanks to BQ. :-)

Linda

Yes, boarded in Fraser. No, little to no narration. They told us when we made a stop to pick up some campers who were coming down, said it was a brief stop and please don't get off the train. Then told us when we were getting in to Skagway. Other than that, nothing. But yeah, breathtaking scenery on the right side of the train. We got that part right thanks to BQ. :-)

Linda

Thanks, Linda. That's a bit disappointing about no narration, but as I said - apparently everyone gets the "history" details on their bus ride.

Archived