Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

I need to get clarification about the new passport rules to see if I need to obtain one this year or if I can wait.

I am booked for a cruise for April 22-29 flying from Tennessee to Florida. The cruise goes to Nassau,Bahamas, ST.Thomas and St. Marten. Do we need to purchase passports or not?

Thanking you in advance.:D

This is from Carnival's website :

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gifThe U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective as early as January 1, 2008.

AIR TRAVEL

Effective January 23, 2007, passports will be required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports.

Carnival strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation; and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications. Additionally, it will greatly help to expedite their debark process.

For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Passport Services (www.passportservices.com/carnival) can also assist with step-by-step instructions and application assistance.

Alternatively, until otherwise required as noted above, U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian Citizens must present a valid passport, original birth certificate, or certified copy of a birth certificate. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

Non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier — e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

For sailings to/from Europe, U.S. citizens must have a valid passport. Alien Residents and all other non-U.S. citizens are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.

For sailings to Canadian ports of call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation.

For sailings to Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents must present their valid Alien Resident Card in addition to their passport or birth certificate from country of origin. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo IDs.

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guests without the required documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

No you do not have to have passports. The only problem would be if you had to fly back from any of the ports(other than Florida). If you missed the ship, were ill or injured and had to be detained, etc.. The new passport regulations are very confusing. You do not need them for cruises until June 2008 unless your departure port is not in the US, i.e. San Juan.

• Like 1

I need to get clarification about the new passport rules to see if I need to obtain one this year or if I can wait.

I am booked for a cruise for April 22-29 flying from Tennessee to Florida. The cruise goes to Nassau,Bahamas, ST.Thomas and St. Marten. Do we need to purchase passports or not?

Thanking you in advance.:D

It would be a good idea to get them, but they arent required yet. You can still cruise with a BC and DL

No you do not have to have passports. The only problem would be if you had to fly back from any of the ports(other than Florida). If you missed the ship, were ill or injured and had to be detained, etc.. The new passport regulations are very confusing. You do not need them for cruises until June 2008 unless your departure port is not in the US, i.e. San Juan.

Thanks so much MaryAnn for the "short" answer to my question.:)

I do plan to get our passports this year, but I'm glad that I dont have to do it so soon. I think they are great to have in unexpected situations when outside the country etc..and are your best protection.

Thanks again:D

It would be a good idea to get them, but they arent required yet. You can still cruise with a BC and DL

Thanks Dayton...yest its a good idea to get them and I will this year, just didnt anticipate to have to get them by April but will get them by Dec 07.

I have heard on these boards as well as an article in our local paper that the cost for a passport is going to go up "significantly" this March. So you might want to get one sooner rather than later.

I read that on the boards too, and I told my family to get their passports now before the increase occurs. What are your thoughts on this increase? I think it's ridiculous that they are increasing the fee in conjunction with requiring them for trips that now longer required them, especially if the rumor is true that the fees could double. If they waited a year or two to increase the price, I think it would be easier to swallow.

Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

What side of the rock did u wake up on this morning? :D

Maddea20 - my comments are not mean't in a nasty way it is just amazing or rather shocking how many people are just not aware of what kind of danger they might be putting themselves into....

BRAVO Moeve. Your post above was perfect. Some folks just don't get it.

Anyone remember the review from the person that had some sort of trouble (getting her kid(??) out of Mexico I believe it was? The thread became a sticky for a while.

DITTO

I have heard on these boards as well as an article in our local paper that the cost for a passport is going to go up "significantly" this March. So you might want to get one sooner rather than later.

Actually, the information I received from Carnival for our April '08 cruise is that the push back of the date that cruise passengers will need a passport is due to the fact that the government is planning to issue a smaller Pass Port type card and the cost will be significately less - approximately $50 per card.

I am waiting for that to be implemented before I spend $400 on passports for a family of 4.

This is the statement from Carnival in my documents:

The U.S. Government will require that all of our guests, including U.S. Citizens be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival Cruise. This requirement will become effective no later than June 1, 2009. This effective date may be moved to an earlier date pending the U.S. Government's implementation of new identification cards (PASScards) that will provide a less expensive alternative form of documentation. For travel by air, the passport deadline will remain January 8, 2007.

You know I wonder how many countires will accept those - since the USA is currently forcing other countries and visitors from such to the USA to be in posession of passports that are at least machine readable. In the near future they are also going to required to include biometic data......making those passport far more expensive. I can see many countries start to say well if we have to spend that kind of money and give the USA that kind of Data they want - they are going to expect the same curtisey from US visitors to their country.

Hmm just read on another site that these passcards might only be for restricted use like coming back from Canada &/ Mexico. So I guess this might be another read carefully thing and be sure you have understood everything correctly....

Our local AAA offered a Passport Day recently on a Saturday.

Representatives from the Post office were there to process Passport Applications.

We decided for the entire family to get passports - it was a great oppotunity to do it when the kids did not have school.

YES, it was expensive, but we will need them eventually, why not now!

BTW>> they processed over 300 applications in 4 hours! Many of the families were planning cruises for 2007.

Catrin

Actually, the information I received from Carnival for our April '08 cruise is that the push back of the date that cruise passengers will need a passport is due to the fact that the government is planning to issue a smaller Pass Port type card and the cost will be significately less - approximately $50 per card.

I am waiting for that to be implemented before I spend $400 on passports for a family of 4.

This is the statement from Carnival in my documents:

The U.S. Government will require that all of our guests, including U.S. Citizens be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival Cruise. This requirement will become effective no later than June 1, 2009. This effective date may be moved to an earlier date pending the U.S. Government's implementation of new identification cards (PASScards) that will provide a less expensive alternative form of documentation. For travel by air, the passport deadline will remain January 8, 2007.

The Passcards have been talked and argued about by the government since shortly after 9/11. So five years have passed and except for a few preliminary articles on them nothing has been finalized and they are still working out the logistics of them. Many of the articles I have read about them state the most popular form for them at the current time is they will be more of a land crossing type card, not a passport will the full benefits that you would need for cruise and air travel. The government has been hashing this out for 5 years so with the way washington works I definitely wouldn't bet on these be available anytime soon. So if the price of the passports doubles as many sources are predicting then you will be out $800 for your family of four.

The Passcards have been talked and argued about by the government since shortly after 9/11. So five years have passed and except for a few preliminary articles on them nothing has been finalized and they are still working out the logistics of them. Many of the articles I have read about them state the most popular form for them at the current time is they will be more of a land crossing type card, not a passport will the full benefits that you would need for cruise and air travel. The government has been hashing this out for 5 years so with the way washington works I definitely wouldn't bet on these be available anytime soon. So if the price of the passports doubles as many sources are predicting then you will be out $800 for your family of four.

I simply typed exactly what was Carnival sent to me 48 hours ago.

Only quoting exactly what was sent to me from Carnival 48 hours ago. I just did an online search for a projected price increase in the U.S. for passports and found nothing but a $12 surcharge.

Only quoting exactly what was sent to me from Carnival 48 hours ago. I just did an online search for a projected price increase in the U.S. for passports and found nothing but a $12 surcharge.

Just take what they say with a grain of salt. They have changed the dates for the requirement of having a passport numerous times. Up until a couple of months ago it was Jan 1, 2007, then it became Jan 8, 2007 (which it is still for air travel) though I have seen Jan 23,2007 recently also, then it was Jan 2008 for cruising and land crossings. . They have changed their minds so many times that I wouldn't trust what they say until it is actually in effect. I have a good friend who works in the post office and she has been "warning" everyone to get it now because they have been getting letters from the passport service saying there will be an increase just not what it will be. I am not trying to be mean or anything I just think you should have all info to make an informed decision.

Sue

Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID...[edit]

I agree passports should be obtained, but there are NOT any risks associated with cruising without one until required - cruise ships do NOT go to Beirut, they go to friendly places - for a reason, and the whole sky is falling thing is just not substantiated with facts, in an emergency you can be cleared with one phone call, even before the ship makes port or while headed to the airport, here it is from the "official" site:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.