Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

I will need to renew my passport after out cruise in May as it won't be valid for our cruises in October and November. I have both the passport book and the passport card. I know I will have to mail my passport in to get it renewed. My question is: If I'm only renewing the passport book do I need to send in both the book and the card or just the book? If I do send in both but only want to renew the book will I cause confusion or some issue if I send in both? This is the first time I've ever renewed my passport so I'm unclear on this particular aspect.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

I will need to renew my passport after out cruise in May as it won't be valid for our cruises in October and November. I have both the passport book and the passport card. I know I will have to mail my passport in to get it renewed. My question is: If I'm only renewing the passport book do I need to send in both the book and the card or just the book? If I do send in both but only want to renew the book will I cause confusion or some issue if I send in both? This is the first time I've ever renewed my passport so I'm unclear on this particular aspect.

I would think that you only send the document that you are renewing so it would only be the passport book if you aren't renewing the card. It might be worth a call to the State Department to verify that though.

• Like 1

We are going on a Princess Cruise with the only foreign port being Victoria, B.C., Canada.  I thought the ocean medallion and/or cruise card would be sufficient to leave and reboard the ship.  If I need to also show another I.D., I do not drive and only have a state I.D. that is out of date (ironically accepted by State Department to get my passport card), will I need to update the state I.D. to show with the passport card and cruise card/medallion in Victoria, Canada?  It had been my understanding that you could put your passports in the safe and your cruise card/medallion would be sufficient.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Lindaru said:

We are going on a Princess Cruise with the only foreign port being Victoria, B.C., Canada.  I thought the ocean medallion and/or cruise card would be sufficient to leave and reboard the ship.  If I need to also show another I.D., I do not drive and only have a state I.D. that is out of date (ironically accepted by State Department to get my passport card), will I need to update the state I.D. to show with the passport card and cruise card/medallion in Victoria, Canada?  It had been my understanding that you could put your passports in the safe and your cruise card/medallion would be sufficient.

Thanks.

Typically you need a photo ID to re-enter the port area in most ports and that can be you passport, a passport card, a drivers license or state issued ID or any other government issued photo ID. It has been my experience that the port security people don't look that closely at what is presented and it's entirely possible that they wouldn't notice that your ID was expired, but then again they very well might. If you don't want to use your passport then it might be best to have the state ID renewed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am sure this scenario has been presented already, but not seen in last 4 pages.    My  friend sent in his passport for renewal last week.   Now a deal has come up for a last minute cruise on 10/27 on NCL, partial panama canal transit.   He lives in Michigan and has an enhanced drivers license.   I live in Florida and not sure what an enhanced license is and what it can be used for.    The cruise starts in Miami and ends in Miami.  Is a passport  still required in this situation.   Thanks  

44 minutes ago, sassyshar said:

I am sure this scenario has been presented already, but not seen in last 4 pages.    My  friend sent in his passport for renewal last week.   Now a deal has come up for a last minute cruise on 10/27 on NCL, partial panama canal transit.   He lives in Michigan and has an enhanced drivers license.   I live in Florida and not sure what an enhanced license is and what it can be used for.    The cruise starts in Miami and ends in Miami.  Is a passport  still required in this situation.   Thanks  

If you are a US citizen  I believe you can do closed loop cruise  with your Birth certificate &  a government issued photo I.D.

Unless the  cruise line requires all pax to have a passport   you should be fine

LHT28, thanks for your quick response.    I checked the NCL site , and  it was  clear that if doing  the panama canal, a passport is a requirement and you will be denied boarding without it.    The only issue is that the ship is not going all he way through just doing partial crossing.  Will call them, but with NCL, you never get the same answer twice.   

36 minutes ago, sassyshar said:

LHT28, thanks for your quick response.    I checked the NCL site , and  it was  clear that if doing  the panama canal, a passport is a requirement and you will be denied boarding without it.    The only issue is that the ship is not going all he way through just doing partial crossing.  Will call them, but with NCL, you never get the same answer twice.   

Maybe your friend can call & get his passport expedited    or just wait & see if the  cruise  still has space  when he gets his passport 

Do you have a passport?  If not  it may be  a moot point if you want to travel together on that cruise

LHT28,   thanks for helping me brain storm .   Yes, will have him call regarding expedited passports, but he has already surrendered his original for renewal.   I'm booked and sailing,  so no problem for me, my passport is current.   Just trying to help a friend out.  Thanks again and happy cruising.     Have to give NCL credit for having a page dedicated to necessary documents for travel, I now know where to look in the future.      

7 hours ago, sassyshar said:

If one is doing a full transit then a passport is required. If he does have an actual Enhanced Drivers License then I believe that it can be used for this itinerary (a call to NCL might be in order, but I'm not sure it will help too much. I called with a question about how to enter my EDL in the check in page since it didn't have a space for it and the CSR said to check that I was using a birth certificate since I had to bring one. Too bad she didn't know how wrong that was). Most cruise lines have a page on the website dedicated to what documentation is needed but sometimes it can be confusing. From what I've read renewals are being process in 2 to 4 weeks so he might still have his passport back in time.

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If one is doing a full transit then a passport is required. If he does have an actual Enhanced Drivers License then I believe that it can be used for this itinerary (a call to NCL might be in order, but I'm not sure it will help too much. I called with a question about how to enter my EDL in the check in page since it didn't have a space for it and the CSR said to check that I was using a birth certificate since I had to bring one. Too bad she didn't know how wrong that was). Most cruise lines have a page on the website dedicated to what documentation is needed but sometimes it can be confusing. From what I've read renewals are being process in 2 to 4 weeks so he might still have his passport back in time.

2 hours ago, sassyshar said:

Thanks Sparky1093 for the information.   The plan is to call NCL tomorrow and hopefully a supervisor is available.  NCL does have a documentation page, just not clear if full transit or partial of canal.     Thanks everyone for the assistance.  

The NCL travel documentation page clearly states that a passport is required for all Panama Canal cruises. The word  all being clearly included leaves no doubt in my mind that it applies to partial transits as well as full transits.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:30 PM, sassyshar said:

We just renewed...one of the questions on the form is if you have card  or if card lost etc.  We renewed both passport and card.   It also states on the renewal form..you must submit the product you currently have  passport book and/or card. See also the 2nd note about lost cards..  

15702350270682946962956344855815.jpg

15702352185457627296652200916405.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Lindae3213 for the information, friend submitted original passport for renewal and was able to track it.  Passport Division was able to locate it and will try to expedite (for extra cost), so that it will be available for potential cruise on 10/27.  

On 9/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, LHT28 said:

If you are a US citizen  I believe you can do closed loop cruise  with your Birth certificate &  a government issued photo I.D.

Unless the  cruise line requires all pax to have a passport   you should be fine

I believe this itinerary goes to Cartagena Columbia so they need a passport

• LauraS unpinned this topic