ideas for Juneau excursions

sweetsly

This is a query for Can Can Case or anyone familiar with the Juneau Mendenhall Glacier trails. Is there any danger of meeting a bear while hiking on one of the longer trails in early August? Also, what is the best way for a group of four to get to the park? Lots of time in port. Thinking of a rental car but if it is raining would probably not want to do the long hike so maybe rental car wouldn't be best way to go. If we reserve a car we would be obligated to rent it.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Ipoder

p.s. Any thoughts on which is best for zip line excursion? Juneau or Ketchikan?

I've encountered a black bear twice in Mendenhall. Best is to make noise. I've gotten to where I like carrying an empty soda can with some rocks in it, since it gets old sometimes, talking. :)

IF you are renting a car from Rent A Wreck, in the past they were prepaid. You need to get the cancelation information direct from the vender you rent from.

I am planning on renting a car in Juneau for our party of 4. Since we will be doing the Kenai Boat trip while in Seward, am not planning on a whale watching tour while in Juneau. We plan on visiting Mendenhall Glaciar, but wonder what other places would be good to see. Love to hear some ideas.

IF you are renting a car from Rent A Wreck, in the past they were prepaid. You need to get the cancelation information direct from the vender you rent from.

I have a reservation with Rent-A-Wreck, and they didn't ask me to pre-pay or for my credit card number. Konnie told me that they always turn people away because they have no more cars to rent.

I am very happy to have found this thread. We are a group of six (3 adults and 3 teens) cruising 7-20-07. We want to see Mendenhall Glacier, but are confused - when we get to the visitor center, how far do we have to go to get to the glacier? Are there buses and taxis from the visitor center to the glacier? We also want to go to Glacier Gardens, Roberts Tramway and the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery. Should we rent a car? Can anyone recommend a tour guide? Case, I would like the name of your company. Thank you for your help.

Elsie:cool:

I am very happy to have found this thread. We are a group of six (3 adults and 3 teens) cruising 7-20-07. We want to see Mendenhall Glacier, but are confused - when we get to the visitor center, how far do we have to go to get to the glacier? Are there buses and taxis from the visitor center to the glacier? We also want to go to Glacier Gardens, Roberts Tramway and the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery. Should we rent a car? Can anyone recommend a tour guide? Case, I would like the name of your company. Thank you for your help.

Elsie:cool:

I operate Alaskan Marine Adventures, LLC. Now that that's out of the way...

Once you're at the visitor center, you're "at" the glacier. At least, it's as far as you can drive. The view is spectacular just from the parking lot, and the informational displays and presentations at the Visitor Center are great. It's hard to realize just how big the thing is when you're that close, however.

There are several hiking trails that will get you even closer, but if time is limited, a few hours to see the visitor center and cruise the paved trails is certainly a fulfilling experience.

It seems to me (note that I'm just speculating here!) that any independant tour operator could arrange taxi stops and pickups for each place you want to visit. Everything you've mentioned is "on the way" either to or from. The hard one will be Glacier Gardens, but if you're renting a car or using pre-arranged taxis, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I always start my F&F touring as far out the road as they'll be going for the day and work their way back into town. The last set of folks I sent out started whale watching (with me, of course!), then I dropped them at Mendenhall, and arranged a taxi to pick them up in 2 hours. From there, they went to Glacier Gardens (same drop-off and arrange pickup deal), McAuly Salmon Hatchery, then back downtown. Their last taxi dropped them at the Red Dog for a quick dinner, then they spent the evening riding the tram and shopping downtown near the ships. Any similar iteneraries could also be reversed easily.

I'm not a tour guide, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :rolleyes:

-Case

Archived