NCL Sea Questions

Greenapple

Hi.... we are first time cruisers to NCL. Has anyone stayed 3 adults in a DD cabin? Apparently they bring a pullman bed into the room for the third person. Is this bed comfy, or is it a thin mattress with springs sticking into your back??

Any other comments/advice for first-timers to Norwegian or to the NCL Sea?

Hi.... yeah, they indicated it would be a roll-away. That's why we're concerned. If it was a bunk.... I would not be as hesitant. Any other advice about NCL? Things to watch out for.... what is great/not so great about the company & ship... would be appreciated!

Greenapple:

Can't help you with the bed info but we have been on serveral different cruise lines and NCL 3 times. It's a good line. I put it between Carnival on the low end and RCCL, but really any cruise is what you make of it. The freestyle crusiing is nice, but sometimes I miss getting to know wiateres and table mates really well by the end of a cruise (we still keep in touch with one couple that we cruised with 10 years ago).

I don't know what other ships you've been on but you'll find the Sea smaller and older than most other ships out there. We've always found NCL to have great service and decent food.

Be prepared to be unimpressed with the port of Houston, it's a dump! :)

I have never slept in a pull down bunk or a roll away, but a friend that shared our cabins has said that he sleep very well on them. This is coming from a man who retired from the Army. A rock would be comfy too him :D

The cabins aboard the NCL Sea are very tiny! I would be very concerned about being able to move around the cabin with a roll away bed.

This is why I am a bit surprised it will be a roll away. Maybe they have the cc cat which are much larger cabins than most of us opt for.

We are going on the Sea 9-18-04, this will be our first time on Norwegian also,so we are not really sure what to expect. Have heard they are really strick on their alcohol policy, and rooms are small,but service and food are supposed to be good. That is mostly what I have heard.

Doug

Doug, my biggest problem with NCL is the liquoir policy. There are ways to get some on board, but even that's getting stickier. Email me and I will tell you how we have done it in the past. The cabins are very small. When we sailed her the first time we had always sailed ships with small cabins we didn't have much of a problem, but now, I am sure we will stand there and laugh when we open the door. Itinerary is wonderful, crew, the very best and food great especially for anyone from the mid west of south west. (our kind a food) We have always found the entertainment outstanding on NCL.

NMNita

We sailed on the Sea last July to Bermuda. We are going on the 'Texaribbean' cruise August 21st on the Sea , this time with 12 family members in tow. Although it was our first extended cruise we really enjoyed the whole experience. As for the cabin and bathroom size, we thought it was quite adequate but I have since realized that ,because we have a travel trailer, I may be comparing the sizes. If you've spent two weeks with 4 people and a dog in a 26' trailer you can be pleasantly surprised by clean sheets!

The rooms are TINY; so small there's hardly a place for two people to even stand. Wife and I could dress at the same time. The bathrooms are even worse. These cabins were like closets with a sub bathroom.

I do remember there were two additional fold down beds in our cabin, where I hid all my cigarettes as I had told my wife I had quit smoking.

MrPete, that's funny cause I could tell very similar stories about the cigatettes, but I didn't think the cabins were quite as small as you did. Of course as I said we had sailed with very small cabins so didn't think much either way. Now, I am sure it will be a shock. This will not spoil our cruise or cause any problems. NMnita

We sailed on the Sea last July to Bermuda. We are going on the 'Texaribbean' cruise August 21st on the Sea , this time with 12 family members in tow. Although it was our first extended cruise we really enjoyed the whole experience. As for the cabin and bathroom size, we thought it was quite adequate but I have since realized that ,because we have a travel trailer, I may be comparing the sizes. If you've spent two weeks with 4 people and a dog in a 26' trailer you can be pleasantly surprised by clean sheets!

Cary, we have a decent sized house and 2 dogs, we never have clean sheets Sleeping with a Great Dane and a Springer Spanial is like trying to put 4 perple in a Queen sized bed. LOL

Nita

Our cabin was a category "N" inside cabin on deck 2, about 114 square feet. I was afraid I would be bothered by the lack of space, but felt very comfortable. We also have a travel trailer (22'), and the cabin felt cozy, just like the trailer. The bathrooms are very small, but adequate. We were actually fairly impressed with the closet space available, and thought it was better than our balcony room on the Sun.

By the way, our room did have at least one pull-down bunk. I wouldn't have wanted to have a 3rd person in the room, but the bed was available.

One thing that made the room seem a little bigger is that we left the beds separated. Might not be quite as romantic, but I didn't want to crawl over the bed in the middle of the night to use the facilities. Besides, it was a good opportunity to not have the DH snoring right in my ears. ;)

Greenapple,

When are you sailing. We are cruising on 9/18. If you are leaving after us, and have any questions, ask away and I will try to find an answer for you during our cruise.

Vette

I come home yesterday from the Sea..... It was our first cruise & we loved it... So much we tried to book a cruise for 2006 while still on board... The cabins are small but we were comfortable... We had rooms on deck 8 (Normandy Deck)... I took a lot of advice I had read on these boards & it REALLY came in handy.... I used a clear over -the-door shoe holder to organize items.. (Deodorant, hair accessories, jewelry, cologne… Stuff like that...) There is only one plug in the room so a power strip came in very handy for us…. I did bring alcohol on board in water bottles & it arrived in our room with our luggage & we only touched it while having either a night cap before bed or a Rum & Coke or Bourbon & Coke while getting ready for dinner… I brought almost all of it home I would not do it again it wasn’t worth the trouble to me… I did bring water on board too & next time I’m skipping the smuggled alcohol & bringing more water… (they sell water for $2.00 a bottle, they are big bottles but we drink a lot of water on the shore excursions) Drinks were just too easy to get on the ship… The bathrooms do smell a little stale room deodorant fixed that.. The food, service & entertainment were great…If you have any questions just ask…

Archived