kids on constellation

Hi,

We are looking forward to taking our 2 kids (10 and 8 when we go) on a 11 night caribbean cruise on the Constellation this coming winter. They have cruised before, but only on Royal Caribbean. They loved the kids area on the Jewel, and I loved that there was a kid oriented pool. It allowed for all the kids to play like kids on vacation and not annoy other travelers. My question is how does Constellation compare as far as the kids program? How are the hours? If you have done both, please let me know. Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim

I was on the Constellation for New England/Canada 11 day cruise, and the only kids area I saw was inside, and it appeared to be for smaller children. As a matter of fact, I think the gal in the kids center said only 4 kids were even registered for the kids program. I never saw an outside area by the pool or otherwise that was for children. New England/Canada may be more of an adult destination. They may do things differently on a Caribbean cruise. I hope somebody that has actually cruised the Constellation with children in the Caribbean answers your questions.

I just recently finished a cruise on Constellation and there weren't many kids on board, and most of those were toddlers and infants. I think there were less than 8 school age kids on board, according to what I was told by the Captain's Club hostess---and five of those were from Europe. With so few kids, the kid's club was quite curtailed. Depending on when you're cruising, you could find very few kids on board---that's always been my experience with the longer cruises and those that are taken when school is in session. If you're cruising during the spring break season, there will be a few more kids, but again, because it's an 11 day cruise, the numbers of kids are usually smaller. No kid's pool area on any Celebrity ship. Personally, I think the kid's program on RCCI is more extensive, because RCCI tends to attract many more kids.

Hi, thank you both for your input, I really appreciate your responses.

When we went on the Jewel, it was the same situation. A 10 day cruise during school. There were about 12 kids in the program, but my kids loved it that way. Lots of personal attention, and they really got to know the staff and the other kids onboard. I think I will also look for a comprable RCI cruise (we don't want to go any shorter than 10 days), get both catalogs, and take a family vote.

Kim

We are looking forward to taking our 2 kids (10 and 8 when we go) on a 11 night caribbean cruise on the Constellation this coming winter. They have cruised before, but only on Royal Caribbean. They loved the kids area on the Jewel, and I loved that there was a kid oriented pool. It allowed for all the kids to play like kids on vacation and not annoy other travelers. My question is how does Constellation compare as far as the kids program? How are the hours? If you have done both, please let me know. Any input would be really appreciated.

Contrary to prior posts, all of Celebrity's ships do have a dedicated teen center, a dedicated youth center. and a dedicated children's center. Most young people seem to enjoy the respective programs, even when the numbers are smaller because most schools are in session. If you are taking a cruise during school break, small numbers probably won't be an issue.

Realistically, the "premium" cruise lines like Princess and Celebrity seem to impose less restrictions on children because the children who cruise on those lines tend to be very well behaved. Instances of disruptive children on these lines are the exception rather than the rule.

The worst incident that I have seen involving children on a "premium" cruise line involved a couple children, probably in the younger elementary grades, who were bouncing a rubber ball off of a bulkhead in an opening that was basically dead space across the passageway from the elevators in the middle of the afternoon. Under any other set of circumstances, it would have been an ideal spot for what they were doing because it was out of the way of the flow of traffic. Unfortunately, the passengers who were occupying cabin on the other side of the bulkhead happened to be in their cabin for a siesta at the time....

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

not many kids on the constellation...there isnt as much for them to do as on the royal carib ships...no rock climbing walls, no skating...no mini golf...it is a much quieter atmosphere, intentionally so for the adults who wish a quieter experience..no announcements into the cabins and no music or announcements by the pool till after 11am...children are not allowed in the thelasapool area...it is a quiet adult oasis....

and yes of course it is asumed that during school sessions adults can expect an almost adult experience thus choosing to travel at those times rather than holiday time when more families with children will travel..

And my son LOVED the kids program. They have separate groups...3-6, 7-9, 10-12, and teens. They all have separate programs....although on weeks with smaller amouts of kids they may combine groups. The Fun Factory in on deck 10 or 11 in the back of the ship. They have a large ball pit area, big screen tv for movies, arts and crafts room, a row of playstations and tons of board games etc. The place opens at 9am and closes around 1am. During meal times in port you have to pay $6/hour but they do feed the kids. The programs are slated around early seating. They have slumber parties at night. Each program has a theme. They do a scavenger hunt, talent show, bridge tour etc. They feed them snacks too. They had a ton of college age counsellers that they kids really loved. They also did stuff around the ship. They also had family activites like bingo, kareoke etc. I am sure your kids will have a blast and meet some new friends. They won't want to spend time with you doing "boring stuff"

I did a review of the kids program in March when we returned from our last cruise...I can try and find the link for you.

I know you will have a blast on the Connie and so will the kids!

Alisia

it definitely depends on the time of year. If you travel during the school year- there are going to be mostly pre-schoolers.

As for the kids program. It is excellent. My little one loves it and the nine year old girl who was at my table on the last cruise was afraid to jump in. Once she did- that was it. She only wanted to go to the kids program. They do a great job at the Fun Factory.

There is no dedicated pool for the kids, however.

We have cruised three times on M-class ships with our daughter (who was probably 12, 13 and 15 at the time). She loved the ships. While she was too old for the kids program on these ships, it didn't impact her enjoyment at all.

And when she was 9, we sailed on a 10 night southern Caribbean cruise where she was the ONLY child on the ship (Crown Princess at the time). It was probably one of her best cruises ever as she got kids program staff person all to herself and they did tons of things out of the ordinary because it was just the two of them. There's an up side to every situation. Celebrity certainly does provide children's programs on Constellation and I think yours would have a a good time (despite no dedicated kids pool).

We've sailed Jewel and Brilliance as well and our daughter has enjoyed every ship she's been on. With the right kids' staff person, they'll be fine. Sorry I can't speak to the hours but I'm sure other can.

ENJOY

I am convinced, we will go on the Constellation. The kids actually prefer a quieter kids area. As I was thinking about the pool situation, my kids are not loud or horribly splashy in the pool, so they won't really be very disruptive to bathers or other swimmers. They are seasoned cruisers, who have made us proud in the past. (Complete strangers approached us and told us how well behaved the kids were on the ship). I am excited about the hours for the Fun factory (thanks cruisebunny). I am sure we will love the ship, and add another great family vacation to our memories!

Thanks all!

Kim

My son had the most fun on Disney and probably the least fun on Carnival (kids club was too crowded). Norwegian the kids club was too crowded in my view.

I love Celebrity. Even on the very popular Easter cruise in April (300 kids on board)- the kids club never seemed overcrowded and he had a great time.

I have the best time on Celebrity and the Fun Factory staff is so caring. We sailed 2 weeks on Millenium in May of 2005- there were 30 children on board. Then sailed on Constellation in April of 2006. Lisa, a staff member from Millenium was now on Constellation and remembered Marc, by name, right away. She remembered me too and was so excited to see us again. Those girls are FANTASTIC- remember to tip!

My husband, twelve year old daughter and I will be sailing the Constellation on 2/08/07, 10 days. I'll let you know how it goes. I have heard only compliments from friends who have sailed Connie with their children. My daughter is also well-mannered, respectful and loves a quieter children's program. We weren't thoroughly pleased with RCI's children's program. Sarah did participate in the rock climbing, we played putt-putt, didn't do the ice skating and played bingo once, and Sarah knows that she won't have those activites available this time. Doesn't bother her a bit! I also told her that we won't have any towel animals--which was always fun for a nightly family picture. I was also worried about sailing during a time that most people don't have break, but asked my TA to request our table seating to be with any other passengers traveling with children. That way I won't feel bad about disrupting the dinner for an adult's only table. We are to have a table to ourselves if there are no other's eating with children.

Thanks Joan,

Have a great time on your trip, and please let me know how your daughter likes the program. We have another whole year before we go, but it will be worth the wait. Our other option was to go on a shorter trip sooner, but we all decided to go for this one.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kim

I am a huge fan of the children's programs on Celebrity. My children are currently 14 and 10....and we have experience on Celebrity, Princess & RCI.

Celebrity's program is very organized.

And...they run a tight ship (no pun intended:p ), which is very important for me.

They may not have a lot of the physical stuff... that you may find on other lines....but they do very well with the kids.

They go on treasure hunts around the ship.

Behind the scenes tours.

...and a good job of bringing the age group of 12 - teens...together, as there is typically some hesitation there.

I have been pleased with the caliber of staff they hire as counselors.

In my experience, it is a well run program.

we were on a 7 day Century cruise last year, not in spring break with a 13, 10,and 7 and they had a hoot. The thirteen year old prefers reading and swimming the two younger ones joined the kids club. The staff was great, we are heading on the Constellation in March for a 10 day cruise with the kids and have no concern whether there are other children on board or not. THey will have fun regardless. Your kids will have a blast as ours did.

• 7 years later...

DD is now 18YO but she's cruised with us all of her life. We typically cruise "off season", have cruised multiple lines, but have never cruised the Caribbean.

Celebrity has a solid children's program with good hours and great counselors. It does not have a lot of the "whiz bang" attractions that the mega-ships have, but not all kids like those things! Since you had sailed on a somewhat smaller RCCI ship, the comparison as to "whiz bang" attractions should be somewhat similar.

So if your kids are looking for high energy distractions, they may be disappointed. But if they like the kids programs, you'll find Fun Factory fairly similar to other lines.