Question about ID's for boarding

I need some advice. DH and I are scheduled to go on the Navigator Group Cruise on 5/14/05 (anyone wanna join?) and we are debating whether to get passports. We're hardly world travelers (yet) but we plan on going out of the country in the next couple of years. My question is this: Is there any distinct benefit in using a passport for ID over birth certificate and driver's license? I have an FL driver's license but I live in GA. Will this be an issue with security being so tight now? We have cruised post 9/11 on Carnival with birth certificates and DLs but I'm wondering if we should spring for the passports now that we have time. Any thoughts?

Passports are just simply easier. Since you have the time before your cruise to get one I would just go ahead and get it. We always sailed with just the DL and birth certificate but had to get passports for a trip to Paris and find it so much easier for the cruises. It is a good idea to have one even though it is not necessary for cruising, but it is easier :)

The most distinct benefit, assuming that you don't get stranded anywhere, is that there may be a separate line at disembarkation for US Citizens holding a passport and that line goes a lot faster.

Passports for adults are good for 10 years, so I suggest getting them now. Everything I read says it is very likely that they will start being required for all foreign travel and if that happens there will be a rush and a big backlog will form. Also, if you have a passport and see some great foreign travel special come along, you'll be able to take advantage of it.

Having traveled with and without passports, I don't believe they speed things up a bit; however, since you're traveling out of the country (presumably to countries that would require passports) again in a couple years, you might as well take care of this detail now.

PASSPORTS! Simple to get and makes it so much easier.

Well worth the extra cost since it doesn't expire for 10 years.

As for you DL, I believe they just your name to the boarding passes in the airports and at the ship. I don't think address is an issue. But just another reason to get the passport...no worries!!! Don't wait to get it, your certified copy of your BC must go with the application for the passport, you'll be stuck with nothing!

Archived