Booking a Cruise & Upgrades?

Risky2

I am wondering if I will be better off booking a cruise directly with the cruise line or with a travel agent? We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for May and I am hoping to book a cheap suite and hopefully get upgraded. Any suggestions? Thanks!

try all of the websites on line 1st and then compare the prices,

sometimes its a lot cheaper on line, then through the cruiseline directly,

it all depends, if you need to know where to try , email me and i can tell you ...

melissa

I am wondering if I will be better off booking a cruise directly with the cruise line or with a travel agent? We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for May and I am hoping to book a cheap suite and hopefully get upgraded. Any suggestions? Thanks!

FYI, upgrades are rare. Although there is nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping for an upgrade, please do not hold your hopes high and the odds are rather small that you will be upgraded. From what I read on this boards, most of the time, when people make reference to an upgrade, it is due to the fact that they were given an option to upgrade for an additional amount of money.

My very best advice is: never book a cabin you really don't like, hoping for an upgrade. Those upgrades don't happen anymore like they used to. Ships are sailing full and upgrades are a thing of the past. Rarely you'll hear of someone getting an upgrade, but you never hear of someone booking a cheap cabin and getting a suite or balcony cabin if you've booked a really cheap inside cabin. What upgrade you hear people getting is going from an inside cabin to another inside cabin on a different floor, or from a window cabin to another window cabin in another location.

Never buy a cabin and then hope for an upgrade.

Hi Risky2,

I also agree that you should book a room that you like and not count on an upgrade. In 6 cruises, we've never gotten one.

We are going on our 7th cruise next month and just found out yesterday that we have been upgraded from an oceanview on the 3rd deck to an deluxe balcony on the 9th deck. This is our first cruise with RCCL. We booked with a travel agent.

So, it does happen. This was a great surprise to us as we didn't even consider that we would be upgraded.

We are going on our 1st cruise on the Ecstasy on 01/22/07. We paid for an Ocean View and got upgraded to a Cat 12 Suite. My in-laws got upgraded also. My husband booked the cruise in November. I think the reason we were upgraded is because the price of the cruise came down. I hear they either upgrade you or you can sometimes get an onboard credit for the difference. Myself I am happy with the room upgrade. I think we paid a total of $888 for the ocean view and instead are getting a Penthouse suite, which is going for around $800 pp right now. I can't wait to start cruising...Just One week to go...whoo hoo.

Archived