A Professional Opinion

seahorse

Re: Gardencat's question, I think compensation should come from Star lines. I have already mentioned before that we each received $150 future cabin credit pp when we were on the Diamond Princess when the ship wrecked and was damaged. To me that was outstanding, we weren't really that inconvenienced and in turn Princess earned a loyal customer forever. The next cruise after us earned even more compensation (they deserved it that time) and were very generous with their offers.

So, I think it should come from Star lines showing POA passengers that the company cares. ;)

See NCL, It does not take much to make people happy. Good will can come at a low price. When the cruise lines give on board credit it is called "soft dollars". It costs less for the line, much less. To give it for a FUTURE cruise is marketing genius, you have to take another cruise to spend it:D

My opinion on Star Lines.

Ncl was going under, other lines wanted to buy, Carnival Corp, RCCI. There is FIERCE competition among the heads in the cruise industry. I call it"Who can have the most toys, and mine is bigger then yours." They are men, of course:D

Star wanted a foot in the American market. They are quite successful in the Orient. NCL sold to them, in my opinion, so the other big boys wouldn`t get them. Star told NCL that they would remain a seperate entity and could run it as they please. Now they would have the money to do it.

I am not sure if Star has the final decision on ,say, compensation etc. The "They will get used to it" philosophy does not sound like the American way.

For example, years ago I sailed on the NCL Sea. Our luggage went missing so NCL gave us a $400.00 on board credit to buy new cloths, etc. They told us to spend it as quickly as possible because if we got our luggage the next day (we did) they would have to retract the credit. Boy did I have fun in the shops:D Good Karma, Goodwill.

There is FIERCE competition among the heads in the cruise industry. I call it"Who can have the most toys, and mine is bigger then yours." They are men, of course:D

How true that is. A few years ago my husband was involved in a local amateur soccer league. Some of the board meetings were held in our living room. I wasn't involved, but while making coffee etc.(sorry about stereotypical feminine roll thing) overheard lots of the discussion. These grown men were supposed to be doing this for the kids, but for most of them it was just an ego trip. What league had the best team and was rated best in the country etc.

One night they were discussing something about giving an exemption to some player who had moved during the season or something. Bottom line, they did not want to give up this good player to another league and were loking for ways to avoid that. Finally I could contain myself no longer and asked "What would be best for the kid here?" You should have seen the looks I got:eek: what was best for the kid was the last thing on their minds they just wanted to have the biggest, best league to satisfy their own egos.

I wouldn't be surprised if seahorse is right about the Star takeover of NCL if so though, all the more reason for everyone involved in the POA fiasco to send a loud clear message that this is not how things work over here. Unless we like this new attitude of course.

Good morning Markandrews....When I booked the Pride of America last year it was advertised as the first new American Flagged Ship to sail the Hawaiian waters in 50 years...All of ncl's promotions at that times were promoting two ships... The other being the Pride of Aloha which would make shorter trips of 3 or 4 nights in the Hawaiian Island... NCL would have two ships sailing year round in the islands... One for 7 nights and one for the shorter trips... Then the Pride of America sank and the rest is history....

Now a third ship is being built for Hawaiian Island cruising by ncl and it will be larger and of course - new... I have not heard how ncl plans to use all three ships at that time but I believe that the Pride of Aloha will then be used as 3 or 4 day cruising in the islands as was ncl's original plan....

Yes, I've read it numerous times that the POA was originally meant for 3-4 day itineraries in various cruise news commentaries.

Jeconk, re: how some people received future cabin credit and others didn't: I know the only reason I received the Princess credit was because I sent a letter to customer relations regarding our interpretation of the situation and how things could have been better. I mentioned the good with the bad. As far as I know only those that have written letters have received credit. I never would have known to write a letter had it not been for these boards. :p Of couse NCL has a completely different customer service department from what I can tell.

Also Princess took the time to answer every comment I wrote. Someone actually read the letter! That does not happen often these days. I was truly impressed.

To me NCL is headed for big trouble. They should have let RCI or Carnival take over. Things would be running much more smoothly. And the $10 fee thing on ALL ships is going to really alienate customers as well as workers. The nickel and diming is out of control. I know personally I try to avoid nickel and diming hotels as much as possible. NCL is not a big enough competitor to get away with it.

Thanks for your comments Seahorse, I learned a lot from your posting.

Good morning Jander.... I stated that NCL designed, advertised and assigned this ship to be their 3 or 4 night ship for the Hawaiian Islands as the Pride of Aloha... That is a fact... It was to be used for the shorter cruises but is now doing the 7 night cruise... Yes this ship was used before as a full service 7 + night cruising ship but due to its age and small cabins NCL decided to use this ship for shorter cruises. The sinking of the Pride of America forced ncl to use the Pride of Aloha on its 7 night cruise... The Pride of America was to be new and with a lot of balconies while the the refurbished Pride of Aloha has a limited number of balconies.... The ship is not that small but has smaller cabins than most cruise ships and now seems to have a less that expected food service...

Sailed her when she was the Sky; the outside cabins are 153 Sq Ft which is mid road for most ships. Twice we cruised RCI with cabins of 115Sq Ft which is the same as NCL Sea. Age wise, the Sky, now POA is only about 5 years old. I have no idea where you got your information. What they had decided to do with her in Hawaii I have no idea, but the size of cabins and age would have little to do with this decision. At least that's my opinion for what it's worth. If there was a problem with size it may have been storage space wasn't the best for sure. NMNita

How about another example of NCL running around dazed and confused: Our two cabins each received an on board credit from NCL of $200.00 for the hassles that we had due to the switch from the America to the Aloha. I also know that at least one other cruiser on the June 20 repo cruise received the same. But I also know of several people on that cruise who did not. (Another Ship Trip: did you?)

Not that I am complaining, but how was that done? What were the criteria for those who received the credit to have been selected? How is that fair that only certain people got the credit.

Question: did anyone not on the June 20 repo receive a credit? (to those of you who have not sailed yet, we got our vouchers in our cabins when we boarded so you may not know yet.)

What is this all about?

This is exactly what I have been trying to find out. Why NCL seems to be indiscriminate as to who does or does not get an on-board credit (on the POA). It appears that some of you got a credit for the "hassles" of switching from the P of America to the P of Aloha, but others were ignored in their requests. I would like to know how NCL determined who got what. Bob

Rob,

I agree with most of what you say, that is why I suggest an advisory board. They need to listen.

I have had problems with ALL of the cruise lines in my many years in business so NCL is not unique. This statement is no excuse however.

Public Relations is their weakest link:eek: Case in point: NOW THEY GO AND CHANGE THEIR TIPPING POLICY:eek: Very bad timing to say the least.:mad:

I left this board and then it turns around on this subject? Just had to come back one time and say that.

Well, I certainly like you better in this thread than the last Ann. I would think that agents would be up in arms about things like this because they could later add a "food charge", "entertainment charge", "facilities charge", and pay agents $16 commission on the $100 cruise fare. Scary, HUH? We've never to date had a problem with NCL and always enjoyed our cruises. Knowing NCL, our fare will drop a few hundred before next year and the service charge won't matter then. I'll just tip regular then too.

Regards,

Chuck

Archived