Denali Park bus tours or Kantishna?

MeganMamaw

The Denali tours that I think you are referring to serve you lunch and have a guide on board. When I go, I just take the shuttle busses. They travel the same road inside the park and the driver is very knowledgeable. Plus they are significantly less expensive.

Kantishna at mile 91 is the furthest you can travel inside the park. I usually go to Wonder Lake, mile 85. Kantishna is interesting - an old mining town - but not really too much to see. If it is good weather and Mt. McKinley is visible, getting to the north and west sides of Wonder Lake would be beautiful for views and photos.

If you do go to Kantishna on a shuttle bus, try to get off the bus in that area and do some hiking. There is the McKinley Bar Trail that starts at the road to the Wonder Lake campground and is very easy and well marked and maintained. In fact, it is the only formal trail inside the park that is not near the park entrance.

I never recommend the Kantishna day trips, you have no time for any extensive activites available to the overnighters, and essentially are paying for a costly lunch. I suggest instead the shuttle to Wonder Lake, 1/3 the cost.

Most of Kantishna is private property so you essentially can't just go hiking around anyplace. If you can go with a couple overnights, Skyline Lodge is supposed to be the "bargain" property out there.

Archived