Ideas for Memorable Evening in Venice?

We are taking our two teenage children on a Mediterranean cruise this June. We will overnight in Venice and I would like to enjoy a nice evening alone on land with the first-mate. Neither of us has been to Venice so I don't know where to begin.

How would you spend an unrushed evening in Venice with your Love?

Thanks.

First you have decide if this is going to be a "Money is no object" evening. Venice is expensive because it survives on tourism. Take a gondola ride at sunset through the canals. Afterwards, for the best views of Venice, and if you don't care what you spend on dinner, eat at the rooftop restaurant of the Danieli hotel overlooking the lagoon. If you don't want to spend that much on dinner, there is, I believe, a bar on the top of the Danieli and you can go for drinks. Then find another nice restaurant for dinner. But no matter what, be sure to spend the money on the gondola.

I don't think you will have any difficulty having a romantic evening together in Venice... My DH and I went to Venice last summer for the first time. It is magical. Although we did not go on a gondola ride, I think I would start with that. Then I'd stroll up the Rialto Bridge and spend some minutes there enjoying the beautiful view. Dinner comes later (I'd suggest Alla Madonna, although it might be too crowded). Someone on the board might suggest a nice, quiet restaurant. Walk around the narrow alleys and "get lost" together. Stop for coffee and dessert at one of the cafes on St. Mark's Square. You might also want to check with your hotel about any concerts or operas that evening. The venue alone is full of romance. The area along the Giudecca Canal (Dorosduro -- I think it's the Zattere) was a lovely walk. Venice is my favorite place -- romantic, still, alluring. You can't go wrong.;)

All good suggestions so far. I would even encourage being spontaneous and just walking around at whatever pace you find.

As for the gondola ride, for my money, I liked the lighting in he late afternoon, when the buildings are all lit up by the sun. Since a ride lasts around 45 minutes, walk away from St Marks, find one of the local wine stores, and buy a liter of co op wine (good stuff was 3 euros!), some plastic cups and find a gondola stand a few blocks from the crowds.

You will pay less off the beaten track, and if you start 45 minutes before sundown, you also get a price break and fantastic pictures.

After you have had dinner, snacks or whatever, I will suggest what a member on this board suggested to me: The Cafe Florian on St Marks Square. Yes, it costs to sit down and have a drink or a dessert, but they absolutly did not rush us, and we sat right next to the six piece band that played music from all over the world. Our group of 6 spent right around 120 Euro's, but the memory will last forever. I have also seen the Florian in a number of movies since that time. Its one of those places in the world where you want to say you've had a drink at.

As far as the Danieli, it is very close by and worth a stop if for nothing else than an excellent bathroom break opportunity!

One of my most memorable times in Venice (over a dozen trips there) was on a vaporetto (water bus) going up the Grand Canal towards the train station at twilight. The vaporetto was empty except for a few couples. We sat in the rear open deck and had marvelous time on a tiny budget.

I never tire of new experiences with each trip to Venice. Find your own magic!

Fran

Archived