Tell Us About Your Negative Experiences With Table Mates

Acey

I went on a cruise with my Uncle once and I assume they thought 2 guys traveling together were gay so they seated us with 2 gay guys that was an interesting dinner, We asked for a different table and they sat us with 2 single women.

We've had some interesting table mates, my fav was one we called the butter police. She was extremely thin and was very impressed with her weight. She co-owned a health club. Her husband was in sales and usually alittle drunk at dinner. My husband thought he probally needed to be, to be with her. We are not heavy folks, just average sized. This woman would tell us every calorie count of everything we ate, then suggest exercises for us to do later. It was just not fun. We also don't discuss religion, politics or finances with strangers. On one cruise we were seated with 2 couples who were fundamental Christians who wanted to discuss religion each night and wanted us to hold hands and pray before meals out loud. We are Cathlolic and Jewish and my husband told them we were religious but did not feel comfortable discussing religion. These folks could not take no as an answer and wanted to evangelize us. It was extremely uncomfortable. We now do anytime dining so we can eat together or with different table mates each night.

every time except one we have had wonderful table mates...and that one time turned out to be great after Carnival substituted people. we were on a CC group and when we arrived at dining room we were odd man out...other group people had taken our table, the group leader said just sit anywhere within these six or so tables. so we sat alone (four of us) at a table for like eight. two people joined us...oh my gosh...they had had way too much to drink, complained about everything, finally left the table, after ordering wine. came back the next night (one of the two) accused the waiters of taking their wine (which we watched them take when they left the table the night before) and never returned! night three we were alone (the four in our party) and on night four our waiter asked if they could seat three other people with us. they were three EMT's from Miami that were there training the ship crew in CPR. They were great conversationalists, we learned alot about the things going on in the background of the ship, and we had a great time with them at dinner every evening after that.

Beverly

EMT/Firemen, those kinds....make the best conversationalists! My BIL was an EMT/fireman, now he's a nurse and licensed peace officer (strange combo - he's a nurse in the county jail). He likes to talk a lot, but he's entertaining to listen to.

There's eating; there's socializing.

We, DH/DW, prefer not to mix the two.

We enjoy the intimate, quiet specialty restaurants.

Table for 2. Of course, this changes dramatically when

the kids and grand-kids are vacationing with us.

:cool::cool:

We've had only 1 bad experience when we sailed on the Triumph. We were at a table for 8 and each of the other 6 people were 350 pounds or more. They were absolutely disgusting with their eating habits; it was like watching hogs dining in a trough. We did get moved for the rest of the cruise.

On our first cruise on the Fascination, a young man was cruising with his disabled sister. She was a little slow and it was obvious that she was uncomfortable on the cruise. He told us that he had always wanted to try a cruise and that he told his parents that he would take his sister along. She was very sweet and nice. At dinner she always requested a hambuger, french fries and a glass of milk. The brother would get upset with her for not wanting to eat anything different.

On another cruise, we sat at a table for 4 with an older couple from Chihuahua, Mexico. He sold women's lingerie and spoke some English; his wife managed his shop and spoke no English at all. Communicating was a challenge, but we had a good time with them. Halfway through the cruise, the head waiter asked them if they would prefer to sit at a table of Spanish speaking passengers, but the couple said no because they enjoyed our company. We found out that her birthday was the day of debarkation, so on the last night at dinner I had our waiter bring out a birthday cake for her. She was so tickled.

Guess we have been very fortunate - we have always had very nice and very interesting table mates and always look forward to meeting and talking with them. I like to hear what they did/saw at the port that day, especially if it was something different than what we did/saw. On one cruise, however, we were seated at a table for two - not by our request - and that was kinda boring. :D Maybe we are the negative experience for our table. :rolleyes:

I'm with you and could never imagine not being with a larger group at dinner. We too like to hear what other have done or are doing in ports, etc. We have always had interesting people at our tables and have often kept in touch following the cruise. We have plenty of time for quiet private "to ourselves" moments outside of the MDR.

As for the guest questioning the second GLASS of wine, wow she'd have a moment with my DW and I when we order our second BOTTLE some nights.

B&B

I went to breakfast in the MDR and was seated at a table for 8. Everyone lived near each other! Just after finding that out, one lady started going on about religion and another couple joined in with her, then another. I practice my own religion but do not discuss my faith with strangers. Very uncomfortable and was glad when the waiter brought my plate, ate it and quickly left as they were all still converting each other.

I was on a cruise a few years ago we had a table with another couple and their mother(maybe 60-70)..the next day we were docking in cozumel, we had plans to go to a beach. The couple who we had dinner with a few nights, we got along okay and their mother was a bit annoying constantly telling stories about the farm over and over, anyhow...the couple asked us what we were doing in cozumel as they had an excursion booked and could we take their mother to the beach with us??? omg..we had to no choice at all...it was quite awkward we did it but it was weird and uncomfortable..

I was on a cruise a few years ago we had a table with another couple and their mother(maybe 60-70)..the next day we were docking in cozumel, we had plans to go to a beach. The couple who we had dinner with a few nights, we got along okay and their mother was a bit annoying constantly telling stories about the farm over and over, anyhow...the couple asked us what we were doing in cozumel as they had an excursion booked and could we take their mother to the beach with us??? omg..we had to no choice at all...it was quite awkward we did it but it was weird and uncomfortable..

I can't believe the nerve of some people!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't they take "mom" on thier excursion? They didn't want to be bothered. I'm afraid I'm not as nice as you. I would have said "no."

Not exactly a table mate but on our Legend cruise we had anytime dining and were put at a booth one evening. We became engaged on this cruise so this particular dinner was the eve of the perposal and we had wine and an special cake and were trying to have a romantic evening just the two of us. Anyway an 8 top table diagonal from where we were sitting held a very nicely dressed group. One of the ladies was rather intoxicated and arguing with her group. Also, either due to that or the motion of the ship, she threw up all over their table. The waitstaff asked for their table to wait in the lobby while they cleaned-up and reset the table. Well this woman staggered over to our booth and plopped down beside me, put her arm around me and asked in a very slurred tone if she could join us at our table all the while promising not to throw up on it. I was in shock and the maitre'd must have sensed this as he came up and very decretly removed her from the dining room. When the party returned to their table she was not with them. I do have to say that the staff handled this situation very well. Their entire table was re served their entrees again and there was no problem from that point on.

omg you totally win!! (or maybe lose? lol) Wow that's just incredible...

I was at a table of 2 guys traveling together, 3 women traveling together. One single guy. The single guy would talk to one of the other men who spoke more slowly while saying nothing it was impossible to stay interested. He ate SOOOOOOOOOO slowly and the wait staff wouldn't servie the next course until this guy was done. Dinner took over 2 1/2 hours. On the second night I asked the waiter to ignore him after the entree was served and bring the rest of us dessert or we'd not gotten out of there again. I changed tables and had a lovely group of well traveled cruisers.

I can't believe the nerve of some people!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't they take "mom" on thier excursion? They didn't want to be bothered. I'm afraid I'm not as nice as you. I would have said "no."

I agree. You can only be taken advantage of as much as you allow. Yes, awkward, but totally doable. These people were very clearly taking advantage of the surprise factor and the awkwardness factor.

I can't help but wonder why "mom" would allow that though. Was she senile? I am 61 and NO WAY would my kids ever try to make me go along with strangers like that. They would have a hard time getting me to go with THEM, but then I am pretty independent :D

omg you totally win!! (or maybe lose? lol) Wow that's just incredible...

I know right..the nerve of some people..but what do you say no? I would have had to face them for 4 more nights on the cruise, so we just did it..planted her under a tree in the shade and went off snorkeling...I will never forget it ahahah

they couldnt take her on their excursion cause it was something that was too hard for her to do I cant remember what it was, but physically too hard...lol the nerve of some people

Is your next cruise booked full? I'm thinking about booking so you can watch my kids for me when I get to drunk to keep up with them. You won't have a problem with that right? :D

Which included

An older woman who was very high maintenance – a need water with NO ice, I can’t have anything spicy, I can’t eat this it’s loaded with black pepper

A young adult woman who talked non-stop about her job – how her boss (her dad) wouldn’t fire the losers she works with, how she can do it better, etc

A father who jumped up and took pictures every night

A 5 yo girl – one night she had a stuffed animal she threw into the air and almost hit another table until her horrified mother made her stop, another night she fell asleep on the booth bench in the middle of dinner

A mother who ordered two entrees the last night

Oh, wait, that was my MIL, niece, DH, DD, and me. Aren’t you glad we get our own table? ;)

I hope we never have the "misfortune" of sitting with you, too, then. For there are gracious ways of being unsocialized, and ungracious ways. You seem ungracious about it. It's your "right" and if I don't like having my place setting scrunched into a corner of the table so as to accomodate yet another plate of your food because you can't seem to make up your mind, then -- as someone else has so conveniently declared -- I'm the one with the problem. I don't think so.

Deciding, once in a while, that you'd like to try this appetizer *and* that one, is fine; if it's more than once in a while, that's what they have a buffet for. And the advantage of cruising is that there's supposed to be something there for everybody. Problems come in when people start thinking that the entire experience needs to be cuisinarted into a fine mash and poured out into identical molds so that every aspect of the experience resembles every other aspect of the experience.

If you want to "sample" as a general rule, go to the buffet. If you want to dress down, go to the buffet or, if you want to dress in nothing to eat, do room service. If, instead, you want to go to the dining room, don't treat it like the buffet. Treating the dining room like the buffet is kinda rude, it effectively declares "everything should be as *I* want it" and one of the advantages of cruising -- indeed, living in a society with other people who have competing priorities and realities -- is not to demand that the rest of the world revolve around your priorities and realities.

In public, we call those people arrogant, bossy and rude. On a cruise, they get the same names.

...and I'll never call you arrogant, bossy or rude if you're sitting across from me, pushing my wine glass over into my lap because you just need to have the steamed clams and the lamb medalions and the vichy souise and the stuffed artichokes and the escargot all for the same course. For not being civil when others are being arrogant, bossy and rude is also rude. And I'm not.

...in person.[/quo

I think you need a nap

Oh my gosh...some of these stories are so funny...thanks for sharing.

DH and I often order 2 apps and then share them. DH has ordered 2 entrees also (as did our table mates). In fact, on our last cruise, the waiter kept making mistakes and bringing out the wrong entrees to the table a few down from ours. He just started bringing them to our table so we could try the things we did not order. We had extra food, he didn't get in trouble for messing up orders...win win!

Only been on 2 cruises and have had no problems so far. Our up-coming cruise will be with friends of ours and we have the any time dining so that won't be an issue.

When we meet people around the ship though, I love the one person each cruise who always asks us if we know "Bob Smith" or "Steve Williams" when they learn we are from Northwestern Ontario. Worst of all, these people are usually from Toronto :o

A couple from the South did ask us if we were able to ski all year round.....ummm, no, there is only snow in Canada during the winter...and no, I do not worship, nor do I know Justin Bieber personally, lol!!!!!!!!!

Archived