Places to go other than Margaritaville

Katbird93

I'd be curious to see any responses because when I was in Grand Turk two weeks ago, I confirmed my suspicions that this is NOT a port where you should plan on doing your own excursion.

I'd book something that the ship offers or just lounge all day at Margaritaville and visit the handful of shops that are at the pier.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say that it depends on what you're looking for. The entire charm of Cockburn town (on the other side of the island from the cruise ship pier) is that it's not commercialized and touristy. If it's a party atmostphere you're looking for, you're probably better off sticking to Margaritaville.

But if you want a taste of unspoiled Caribbean, I highly recommend Cockburn town. There are a few photos of one of our favorite cafe/bars in the Grand Turk album at this link:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/la.croisiere/albums/

There's also a fun place right next to the one pictured, run by some young ladies from Canada.

Happy sails~

I'd be curious to see any responses because when I was in Grand Turk two weeks ago, I confirmed my suspicions that this is NOT a port where you should plan on doing your own excursion.

I don't suppose you'd like to elaborate a bit. Why wouldn't someone want to plan their own excursion?

I know for diving, going thru the ship will put you on a large pontoon boat with a bunch of other cruisers doing follow the leader dives with limited bottom time. A private dive trip would be a much better choice.

Archived