Question about kids program during Spring Break cruises . . .

junglejane

We're booked on the Diamond Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera on March 24. DH and I are traveling with our two daughters, ages 6 and 10. I know that since it's spring break, there will be a very high number of kids on board. My question is, does anyone have experience with the kids' program during spring break? Are they prepared to handle the extra kids? Our kids have had positive experience on their two prior cruises. But I've read posts about overloaded kids programs sticking the kids in a conference room. Does anyone have any experience with the kids program on Princess during Spring Break? I'd love to hear any feedback. Thanks, Junglejane.

The number of staff in the kids area depends on how many kids are booked. If there's more kids, there's more counselors. We were on one Princess in February and it was pared down, with fewer activities. The next two were during normal vacation time and it was more fun for the kids.

Thanks for your response. I've just wondered if during Spring Break they get so many kids that they exceed the physical limitations of the Fun Zone and, if so, what do they do then? (I realize that only a small percent of the kids onboard will be in the Fun Zone at any given time.)

--Junglejane

everyone seems to like the kids programs they have,and they know from the ships roster how many kids they have so they can allocate enough staff to cover and entertain them,it sounds like the kids have a great time,i wouldnt worry at all they will have a great time,all you have to do is relax!! and enjoy your cruise:)):rolleyes:

We're booked on the Diamond Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera on March 24. DH and I are traveling with our two daughters, ages 6 and 10. I know that since it's spring break, there will be a very high number of kids on board. My question is, does anyone have experience with the kids' program during spring break? Are they prepared to handle the extra kids? Our kids have had positive experience on their two prior cruises. But I've read posts about overloaded kids programs sticking the kids in a conference room. Does anyone have any experience with the kids program on Princess during Spring Break? I'd love to hear any feedback. Thanks, Junglejane.

In case you have not seen it on the Princess' Web site, here is an idea of what they have to offer.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/activities/youthandteens/index.html

Thanks for your response. My kids have participated in the Fun Zone on the Caribbean Princess, so we are familiar with what they offer. My question was really directed at whether the program ever becomes overburdened by the higher number of kids during Spring Break. For example, there must be occupancy restrictions on the number of kids that can actually be inside the Fun Zone at any given time. I'm sure older kids can be taken out on scavenger hunts, etc. I'm really looking for any feedback on whether Princess has any issues with "overutilization" of the kid facilities. I recall in the past reading posts about such problems, but I don't think it was on Princess.

Judging by the lack of negative responses to my question, I'll assume Princess has no problems with this. My kids liked the Fun Zone last time and are looking forward to going back.

--Junglejane

I've cruised with my now 10 y/o son during spring break for 5 of the last 6 years. I've yet to see them overburdened in the kids program on one of the new ships. The older ones it happens on but not the ones built for family vacations. There are times where they plan things that they expect a higher turnout for and so they plan to have it in another are. Things like karaoke or the family scavenger hunt that some of the ships have. Hope this helps.

I've cruised with my now 10 y/o son during spring break for 5 of the last 6 years. I've yet to see them overburdened in the kids program on one of the new ships. The older ones it happens on but not the ones built for family vacations. There are times where they plan things that they expect a higher turnout for and so they plan to have it in another are. Things like karaoke or the family scavenger hunt that some of the ships have. Hope this helps.

Hi Jane!

Princess used to limit the number of kids they'd allow onboard. Not anymore. But, don't worry. They will be plenty to keep your kids (& mine) busy! We've done 3 Spring Break cruises and 'your' sailing on the 24th will be our 4th. They are always stuffed full of kids.

They almost always send the kids by age groups to different areas of the ships. Since many of the bars aren't being used, the kids do some of their activities there, or in the aerobics section or the gym, the outside deck, etc. Don't worry though, the bars are closed down while the kids are in there. :D

Also, my youngest son (14) likes to play basketball, ping pong and giant chess. Those things keep him busy too. Did you get your pre-cruise info. package yet?

I appreciate all these responses. Sounds like we should be fine. I'm not much of a night owl, so hopefully the kids and I will miss most of the college party crowd.

Lady Jag, I haven't gotten my pre-cruise info packet yet, but we just made final payment a few days ago. What's in it, anyway? I thought everything was done by e-docs now.

--Junglejane

Archived