Courtyard Villa - More take aways

hkcouple

Last year we cruised on the Jewel Christmas week and experienced the 14th floor with our Courtyard Villas - we rented 2! Food and soda by the pool everyday, 15th floor sun deck for Villa's only. Snacks available and constant bar service by the pool. This year we traveled on the Jewel 7014 and rented 3 Villas only to find that several of the amenities were gone and the service by the pool was GONE! Still a nice experience, thanks to our Butler Lani who should teach most of the crew what Customer Service is!!!

Now we are considering booking 4 villas for the next holiday season on the GEM only to find that more amenities are GONE and the private sun deck is now split in two and half is public space. It was hard enough to find space! Oh, and by the way - the prices are about 20% higher!!!

I have not yet come across another fleet that has this type of set up - the feel of a small boat on a large boat but I am looking. That will be the end of NCL for me.

Also, in case anyone is interested in NCL's private island - it has been on our itinerary 3 years running and I still have not seen the island - maybe NCL should think about a contingency plan rather than just canceling the 4th port. If you pay for a 4-course meal and only got a 3-course meal would you expect a REFUND or some compensation!!!

:confused:

WOW! How disappointing. We are booked in a mini-suite on the Pearl for February school vacation week. With two teens, I had been kicking myself for not booking a Courtyard Villa. They have since been bought up. It's almost nice to read that they're not all that I've built them up to be in my head!

Last year we cruised on the Jewel Christmas week and experienced the 14th floor with our Courtyard Villas - we rented 2! Food and soda by the pool everyday, 15th floor sun deck for Villa's only. Snacks available and constant bar service by the pool. This year we traveled on the Jewel 7014 and rented 3 Villas only to find that several of the amenities were gone and the service by the pool was GONE! Still a nice experience, thanks to our Butler Lani who should teach most of the crew what Customer Service is!!!

Now we are considering booking 4 villas for the next holiday season on the GEM only to find that more amenities are GONE and the private sun deck is now split in two and half is public space. It was hard enough to find space! Oh, and by the way - the prices are about 20% higher!!!

I have not yet come across another fleet that has this type of set up - the feel of a small boat on a large boat but I am looking. That will be the end of NCL for me.

Also, in case anyone is interested in NCL's private island - it has been on our itinerary 3 years running and I still have not seen the island - maybe NCL should think about a contingency plan rather than just canceling the 4th port. If you pay for a 4-course meal and only got a 3-course meal would you expect a REFUND or some compensation!!!

WOW! How disappointing. We are booked in a mini-suite on the Pearl for February school vacation week. With two teens, I had been kicking myself for not booking a Courtyard Villa. They have since been bought up. It's almost nice to read that they're not all that I've built them up to be in my head!

We missed Great Stirrup Cay on our only cruise offering that particular stop. We went to Nassau instead, but I'm sure it depends on when it is canceled. I would have loved to go but I don't believe NCL can control the weather that makes it impossible. :)

I have not yet come across another fleet that has this type of set up - the feel of a small boat on a large boat but I am looking. That will be the end of NCL for me

(snip)

If you pay for a 4-course meal and only got a 3-course meal would you expect a REFUND or some compensation!!!

Sounds like you'll be sailing NCL for a long time. Enjoy!

As for missing the pvt island and expecting a refund---you should read your ticket contract. They can change the itinerary at any time for any reason with no price reduction.

-Monte

I sailed the Pearl in December! Sodas are gone...therefore is orange juice and iced water available. There is still plates of cookies and after 4:30 finger sandwhiches available. You have a mobile ships phone and when you need something regardeless where you are...call the butler!

So what did they take away?? I am curious about the sodas being served in rooms and in the courtyard. I am cruising Feb 2nd in a CY villa on the pearl.

ANy recent cruisers have knowledge?

They took away half of the private sun deck. They complimentary sodas that were in the lounge and indoor pool area, pool side service by a steward and the variety of snacks in both locations. Instead you get cookies and muffins, warm water by the pool and coffee in the conceirge lounge.

We will be on the Pearl in July to Alaska in a courtyard villa. You mention the private sundeck. Is there an indoor area that is private for the villa passengers for viewing On the day that we sail through the glaciers, we had hoped to utlize that rather than fight for space elsewhere on the ship.

On our last cruise to Alaska we were lucky enough to have a front and side balcony on the spirit, so we had our own private viewing area!!!!!

I sailed the Pearl in December! Sodas are gone...therefore is orange juice and iced water available. There is still plates of cookies and after 4:30 finger sandwhiches available. You have a mobile ships phone and when you need something regardeless where you are...call the butler!

sneakerstud (or anyone else who has sailed the Pearl in a Courtyard Villa) - The NCL website is showing half of the Pearl sundeck on the 15th deck above the Courtyard Villas as designated public sundeck space. Is this true or has NCL made a mistake in the Pearl 15th deck diagram and presumably the Gem 15th deck diagram also which shows the same public sundeck space? Do the Villas on the 14th deck now only have 1/2 the sundeck reserved for their use with the other 1/2 open to the public?

I have not yet come across another fleet that has this type of set up - the feel of a small boat on a large boat

That's really well put.

NCL marketing could use that to sell their villas.

They have such amazing high end cabins but seems like few people know about them or what they're like.

sneakerstud (or anyone else who has sailed the Pearl in a Courtyard Villa) - The NCL website is showing half of the Pearl sundeck on the 15th deck above the Courtyard Villas as designated public sundeck space. Is this true or has NCL made a mistake in the Pearl 15th deck diagram and presumably the Gem 15th deck diagram also which shows the same public sundeck space? Do the Villas on the 14th deck now only have 1/2 the sundeck reserved for their use with the other 1/2 open to the public?

WHAT HAPPENED??? :eek: I booked two cruises in the Courtyard Villas (and paid a huge sum of money) in large part because of the private sundecks on BOTH sides of the ship. We thought it would be wonderful in Alaska to be able to easily shuttle back and forth to see whatever wildlife and scenery was available. Plus the idea of not having to fight the chair hogs in the Caribbean was well worth the expense. Not any more! :mad:

Also, how are non-courtyard people going to get up to the newly designated "public sundeck"? Are they going to walk through the PRIVATE courtyard in order to get upstairs or is there another way up?

Wow, I'm so frustrated. I feel like NCL just pulled a bait and switch. We're new customers to NCL -- this isn't a way to win brand loyalty. :mad:

(FYI: I checked their UK site and it still has the old deckplans up).

WHAT HAPPENED??? :eek: I booked two cruises in the Courtyard Villas (and paid a huge sum of money) in large part because of the private sundecks on BOTH sides of the ship. We thought it would be wonderful in Alaska to be able to easily shuttle back and forth to see whatever wildlife and scenery was available. Plus the idea of not having to fight the chair hogs in the Caribbean was well worth the expense. Not any more! :mad:

Also, how are non-courtyard people going to get up to the newly designated "public sundeck"? Are they going to walk through the PRIVATE courtyard in order to get upstairs or is there another way up?

Wow, I'm so frustrated. I feel like NCL just pulled a bait and switch. We're new customers to NCL -- this isn't a way to win brand loyalty. :mad:

(FYI: I checked their UK site and it still has the old deckplans up).

Before I would react too stronly one way or the other, I would suggest waiting until we hear a first hand report from someone who has been on the Pearl and has been up on the 15th deck sundeck who can tell us if the NCL website deck plan for the pearl is correct or not.

If they tell us that the sundeck is entirely private, then we can chalk up the incorrect deck plan for the pearl to the gremlins that seem to be inhabiting the new website.

Also that would give us ample reason to doubt the deck plan shown for the Gem 15th sundeck that also shows 1/2 being a public space.

As best I can tell, everyone posting to this thread is reacting to the NCL website 15th floor deck plans for the Pearl and the Gem which may be wrong.

I await a report from someone who has been there.

We were on the Pearl in December and had a Courtyard Villa. To access the "private" sun deck on deck 15, you went up a flight of stairs near the exercise equipment. This deck for the villa guests was on the port side of the ship. Passengers using the opposite side sun deck could not access the villa sun deck. There was a solid wall partition separating each area. While I would have loved to access the forward area on deck, this was also closed off, with access only to those in a garden villa. The only drawback to the courtyard, is its not having any sight access to the scenery.

Don't worry about passengers gaining access to the courtyard area, the courtyard passengers have to use their key cards for the elevator to deck 14 and to open locked doors from lower decks to access the private sun deck.

As far a viewing the scenery in Alaska, and speaking from experience [6 Alaskan cruises], I enjoy the view from the balcony of my room where I easily come in from the cool or rainy weather. On the day the ship enters a glacial viewing area, Sawyer, Hubbard or Galcier Bay, stake out a few indoor lounge chairs near a window.

Darcy

We were on the Pearl in December and had a Courtyard Villa. To access the "private" sun deck on deck 15, you went up a flight of stairs near the exercise equipment. This deck for the villa guests was on the port side of the ship. Passengers using the opposite side sun deck could not access the villa sun deck. There was a solid wall partition separating each area. While I would have loved to access the forward area on deck, this was also closed off, with access only to those in a garden villa. The only drawback to the courtyard, is its not having any sight access to the scenery.

Don't worry about passengers gaining access to the courtyard area, the courtyard passengers have to use their key cards for the elevator to deck 14 and to open locked doors from lower decks to access the private sun deck.

As far a viewing the scenery in Alaska, and speaking from experience [6 Alaskan cruises], I enjoy the view from the balcony of my room where I easily come in from the cool or rainy weather. On the day the ship enters a glacial viewing area, Sawyer, Hubbard or Galcier Bay, stake out a few indoor lounge chairs near a window.

Darcy

That is sad to hear. Thx for the report. The deck plan on NCL for the 15th deck sundeck is correct per WatchHill's report and presumably the deck plan for the Gem is correct as well.

Apparently the Jewel is the only ship in class with the sundeck on the 15th floor for exclusive use by the courtyard villas.

It was pretty nice being able to get the great views from both sides of the ship up there as it would pull into and out of port.

We will be on the Pearl in July to Alaska in a courtyard villa. You mention the private sundeck. Is there an indoor area that is private for the villa passengers for viewing On the day that we sail through the glaciers, we had hoped to utlize that rather than fight for space elsewhere on the ship.

On our last cruise to Alaska we were lucky enough to have a front and side balcony on the spirit, so we had our own private viewing area!!!!!

If you're looking for indoor space, the Star Bar deck 13 is reserved during the day for villa and suite pax - it's the Concierge Lounge until 5 pm . Nice comfortable armchairs, very quiet, no traffic, outside views. Might be good for Alaska.

snorklin'barb and WatchHill-

Thanks for your great suggestions for Alaska. If NCL had been upfront about the changes to the Courtyard Villa decks, I would have booked my room on the opposite side of the ship (right now I'm on the same side as the private deck).

Still, the Villa guests are now going to have to stake out lounge chairs on the private deck when in the Caribbean. Before, there were plenty to go around. Now, there aren't enough for even 2 people from each suite. Most of those rooms are occupied by more than 2 since they have two bedrooms. I guess NCL is hoping families go to the pool with the slide. What a disappointment.

We're still going to have great trips, it just put a sour taste in my mouth towards NCL.

That is correct. I confirmed that with our concierge while on the jewel and he called the concierge on the Pearl .They now have a 6 foot glass wall seperating one half from the other and only one side is for the 14th floor as is shown in the brochure layout. Some may say half is better than noe - but not when oyu had the entire deck on past cruises. (you still do have the entire deck on the Jewel.>

Hmmm it looks like there isnt much more being offerred in a Courtyard Villa over an AB Penthouse suite except for a little more privacy and access to the "garden". I'm glad I didnt purchase an upsell for $1000 more. Thanks !

It is located more to the middle of the ship. Some people prefer this location as the ship may be more stable there in rough seas. The A3 has the private lounge area with a lap pool, hot tub, fitness area for use by the people on the 14th deck. The area has a retractable roof for bad weather. I know the balcony for 14006 is 88 sf.

Just returned from the Jewel - traveled over New Years. Disappointed that there were no sods and no bar service at pool, but the butler wouldbring any soda we wanted. Drinks were just a couple flights of stairs away. It was not crowded on our sundeck or around the pool. The only problem was the occupants of the Garden Villas who had OBNOXIOUS children- glasses and cookies in the pool, running amok. No parental supervision and nothing done when 3 cabins complained... but they weren't always there. We, too , had 3 children but supervised them!!

Did book it again, because the small ship feel and privacy are unbeatable. Hope they don't really cut the sundeck in half- it was usually ours alone and the ship was FULL!

Archived