Travel Insurance

gr8aunt

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company? As much as I've traveled, I just realized the "Pre Existing" clause applies not only to the travelers, but their immediate families as well. At my age there is always someone in the family with a pre-existing condition :)

The Trip Insurance Store, mentioned in the insurance articles here on CC, does an excellent job of sorting through that for you. Where insuremytrip.com has something like 20-25 choices, tripinsurancestore.com narrows it down to the top 4 or 5. I am certain they allow for waivers of pre-existing conditions exclusions when purchased at the same time as the cruise.

Also, take a look at and consider Princess insurance. I'm older and I get the Princess Care Gold upgrade for being a Platinum member so that it winds up being a better deal for me. When considering insurance, consider not only pre-existing conditions but also being able to cancel for "any reason."

I agree with Pam, it may not be the cheapest, but is worth considering. Have never had to use it myself, but through the years, I have helped my parents. Princess Gold has paid off with very little hassle 4 times. Fill out their forms, have a doctor sign, and everything has been refunded, except for I believe $200. It was very easy to use! Desert Daisy

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company? As much as I've traveled, I just realized the "Pre Existing" clause applies not only to the travelers, but their immediate families as well. At my age there is always someone in the family with a pre-existing condition :)

With most insurance, as it does with Princess Travel Care, the pre-existing clause only applies if there has been changes within the 60 days preceeding purchasing the insurance. Read the details describing this for the policies you are considering.

Agree that Princess is the best for us at our age, we have used it and had our money within days, and you can't beat the "cancel for any reason clause". If there is a problem with a pre-existing condition just say you've changed your mind and take another cruise with the credit.

Actually, after doing some research, I find Travel Guard has a plan called My Travel Guard which you can build on and add features you like. I especially like the Hospital of Choice feature for a minimal cost. After increasing other coverages I find I can still save some money over the Travel Guard Protect Assist plan. I appreciate all your comments.

With most insurance, as it does with Princess Travel Care, the pre-existing clause only applies if there has been changes within the 60 days preceeding purchasing the insurance. Read the details describing this for the policies you are considering.

The 60 days preceeding purchasing the insurance is called the Lookback Period. It can go as high as 180 days (180 is common). You also need to watch out for the Lookback Period's definitions because they all don't say the same thing as to what defines a pre-existing condition.

Archived