Would you speak up????

cdnguys

On Legend recently a group was taking liquor into whirlpool. The Carnival Security guy asked them to remove it. They gave him a very hard time, taunted him and ignored him. They called him names. I sat there and did nothing, but felt bad for this security officer. What would you guys do?

If the booze in the hot tub bothered you, then you should have said something to the people who gave the security guy a hard time.

I have seen people break the rules but usually it hasn't bothered me enough to be worth complaining. I go on vacation to relax and have fun. I assume so does everyone else. I figure that some people may do things that I don't approve of personally, but is it really my place to say something? Unless it impacts me, probably not.

Now, if there was a toddler who was not potty trained and their parents allowed them to join everyone in the hot tub, then yes, I would have said something.

If the booze in the hot tub bothered you, then you should have said something to the people who gave the security guy a hard time.

Booze didn't bother me - I didn't complain. I just witnessed this confrontation while licking my ice cream at the table - I had nothing to do with incident. I'm not a confrontational person, but they were really razzing the security guy and I thought there might have been overt racial tones also. I think a couple of them were drunk. Unfortunatley others sitting at the tables were cheering them on and taunting the security guy also - it was disgusting behaviour.

On Legend recently a group was taking liquor into whirlpool. The Carnival Security guy asked them to remove it. They gave him a very hard time, taunted him and ignored him. They called him names. I sat there and did nothing, but felt bad for this security officer. What would you guys do?

I'd let it be. He's security and knows what to do. If he needed help, he has it available. Getting involved would only make his job more difficult by interferring with his duties.

It stinks that they treated the security guard bad....but...I have been on a cruise where they came to take our drink order while were in the hot tub and served it while there...and then security came and told us to get it out. We were a little upset to say the least.

I've always had a bad habit of injecting my feelings when racism raises it ugly head. There is absolutely no excuse for it, drunk or sober. Server or served.

Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. If you smuggle booze then keep it and drink it in your cabin. Don't carry it into public areas.

Probably said "He is just doing his job." If they kept it up, I would have left and probably gone and found a head security guy and informed him of the situation. No one should have to listen to rascist comments- were they saying these to his face? A higher up security person should have been informed, so he could have stepped in.

I am so non-confrontational it isn't funny, but I was at a football game and the people in back of me were making rascist comments everytime the quarterback messed up a play. THen the guys in front of me started arguing with those guys, and they were going back and forth. I had absolutely had it. So I turned around and SCREAMED "Shut up! I have been listening to you for hours, and if you make one more "monkey" comment, I am going to go psycho!! Do you understand me, or do I have to get the cops down here?!" They looked at me like I had lost my mind (I was 8 months preggo and my belly was huge) Dh and my friends had their mouths open, and the guy started to apologize and I said "If you say one more word to me, I swear to god- SHUT UP!!!" I NEVER would have done that ever, but I am blaming the hormones. Anyways, a few people clapped, and one guy said "It's too bad the pregnant chick had to be the one to ahve balls to say something" I told myself fromt hat day on, I would never keep my mouth shut again, I feel if I don't say something, then I am in a way saying it is ok. BUT- I was surrounded by DH and guy friends- if I was alone int eh hot tub with them, I would have just gone to an employee or manager that could ask them to stop, or have them be removed. It is poison and no one should have to listen to it.

I've always had a bad habit of injecting my feelings when racism raises it ugly head. There is absolutely no excuse for it, drunk or sober. Server or served.

Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. If you smuggle booze then keep it and drink it in your cabin. Don't carry it into public areas.

Wow!! Where did that come from?

I didn't see anything about the booze being smuggled. :confused:

And racism??? :confused: being rude to a security guard is now considered racist? I don't condone the behaviour, but RACIST??? :eek: :eek: :confused:

EDIT: I now see you were referring to the reply to OP. Still don't get the smuggled booze connection though.

It stinks that they treated the security guard bad....but...I have been on a cruise where they came to take our drink order while were in the hot tub and served it while there...and then security came and told us to get it out. We were a little upset to say the least.

i was just going to say something similar. i believe i've seen them take drink orders and deliver it to the hot tub, so i don't understand why they do that if they know it isn't allowed.

OP -- were they swigging from a glass fifth or other bottle?

i think it stinks that someone wld abuse a crew employee like that. i think if i had seen it and it was as bad as you described, i might have gone down to the purser's desk to let them know just so it wld be a "vouch for the security guy" type action ito protect his job if things ended up going even further "south" from there.

Wow!! Where did that come from?

And racism??? :confused: being rude to a security guard is now considered racist? I don't condone the behaviour, but RACIST??? :eek: :eek: :confused:

Yes, unfortunately they were. They were making animal sounds ...

Ultimately it is not your place to interfere, you would potentially be putting yourself in danger if things got out of hand. Security knows their job.

Now in a situation where someone is being physically assaulted, yes I would intervene, but that was not the case.

Don't feel sorry for security... the guy should have done his job and if he couldn't have handled it, called for someone who could. I've seen them toss people from ships, and they have a brig... sounds like the security guy needed to grow a pair (sorry, but that is HIS JOB!!!!! He is PAID to provide SECURITY) It actually ticks me off that he didn't pursue this, or find someone who could... he needs a new job.

Don't feel sorry for security... the guy should have done his job and if he couldn't have handled it, called for someone who could. I've seen them toss people from ships, and they have a brig... sounds like the security guy needed to grow a pair (sorry, but that is HIS JOB!!!!! He is PAID to provide SECURITY) It actually ticks me off that he didn't pursue this, or find someone who could... he needs a new job.

do they really have a brig? that is so very cool...

Booze didn't bother me - I didn't complain. I just witnessed this confrontation while licking my ice cream at the table - I had nothing to do with incident. I'm not a confrontational person, but they were really razzing the security guy and I thought there might have been overt racial tones also. I think a couple of them were drunk. Unfortunatley others sitting at the tables were cheering them on and taunting the security guy also - it was disgusting behaviour.

OMG - Why didn't the Security Guard go get back up security? I can't believe how some people can act like giant a$$e$. I doubt you saying anything would have made a difference.

Diane

I think you are safest leaving situations like that to the staff. The guard should have called for back up because not only was he being treated badly, the people around him like you must have been awfully tense. It's been my experience that when people are drinking and being obnoxious things can escalate and get out of hand very quickly. The security guard was probably trying not to make a scene, but should have handled it differently. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing.

Archived